The Student Room Group

Muslim girl, 16, tries to kill herself after being threatened

A teenage French Muslim girl, who was attacked by two men with a box cutter for wearing a veil, has tried to commit suicide.The 16-year-old is reportedly in a critical condition in hospital after jumping out a fourth storey window at her home in Trappes, Paris yesterday.

While her motives for suicide remain unclear, she is believed to have also unsuccessfully tried to overdose on pills last week according to French newspaper Le Parisien.

In July, hundreds of Muslim protesters clashed with riot police in the Parisian suburb after attempts were made to fine a woman for wearing a full Islamic veil.

Since the controversial burka ban which was introduced across France in 2011 there has been a string of violent incidents across the country. Worried that the girl’s suicide attempt might spark more riots, police were stationed in the commuter town to the west of the French capital on Monday night but no disorder unfolded.

The girl told police that on August 12 she was approached by two ‘European looking’ men with shaved heads near Square Berlioz as she left a friend’s house at 5.45pm. The men allegedly shouted anti-Muslim and racist remarks at her before wielding a box cutter. They ripped off her veil, pushed her over and hit her.

These cowards always attack women or elderly men.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it a sin to take your own life in Islam?
May I take this opportunity to say that Islam is a religion of peace, Oneness of God ( unity is at the very crux of the universe, the atmosphere, the earth, animals,plats etc. all work as a unit) righteousness and respect for other religions.
Regardless of actions that people commit such as rape or violence, it is a violation against Shari'ah Law (Islamic Law) and is considered sinful. The actions of such people is NOT a reflection of Islam, a Religion which raises the status of human kind and teaches them to be good, generous and follow the Attributes of God (such as Mercy and Compassion, but not at the same level) rather it is a reflection upon themselves. Why do I say this? Every human has free will and what you do with it is up to you, whether you decide to worship (insert here), raise havoc, give charity, whatever. Your actions are your own. Therefore when people GENERALIZE Muslims into a group of people who decide to commit indecencies, it is not only unfair but undoubtedly wrong. The majority of Muslims, who are part of the worldwide Muslim brother/sisterhood (called the Ummah) follow the Guidelines given by God's Book, the Final Testament called the Qur'an and would never dream of committing such sins because God is Just and Justly Punishes those who did wrong despite the opportunity for righteousness.
And to EdwardCullen, you seem to confuse religion with ethnicity, Muslims are not only Asian, you can have a White Muslim just like a Black Caribbean can be Christian.
Islam guides those who choose to follow it to the Straight Path or the Path of God, and in doing so, we have no issue with those of other religions. In fact Christians and Jews are what we call the People of the Book. That means that we believe in the Gospel and the Torah as once being the Word of God but being altered by sinners and we also believe in Jesus Son of Mary and Abraham as Prophets. Hence we have no right to criticize those religions despite discrepancies such as claiming that God has partners. A Muslim is someone devoted to God and whose actions are set to Please Him in the light that he/she might be rewarded by following the Path and the Truth. A Muslim follows the Qura'nic teaching: There is no compulsion in religion, and has no hatred in his/her heart.
Thus, if you do not know about Islam, do not criticize it, in the same manner that we do not criticize your religious freedom including if you are an atheist. It is your life and what you believe is up to you.
Yes I know there is terrorism but that is not in accordance with religion, it is in accordance with what a certain someone decided to do. Frankly I am against them and believe that their actions are not in compliance with Islam. Those are not what Islam taught them to be. A true Muslim is someone of such a high order of faith, knowledge, sentiment and truly a quintessence of the prime morals of humankind.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by yaboy

Yes. She is indeed in the wrong.

:ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Poor girl. May she find the courage and hope to live her life to the fullest. Also, her parents should sit and speak to her, regarding the veil. They should perhaps encourage her not to wear it anymore, as it could have similar detrimental effects on her in the future.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by WhiteRose100
It's in her religion that she wears it, otherwise it would be classed as sinning!

Lol, I'm a Muslim and although you have to wear it, you can choose not to, if it's dangerous to your life. Islam gives us a leeway on that.
Reply 6
Original post by missfats
Yes. She is indeed in the wrong.

:ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find it disgusting that you have such a strong agenda against Islam that you're willing to take pleasure in such a horrific misfortune. I can't imagine anyone would be in a fit mental state after being attacked by box cutter. Did you conveniently forget the wrongdoing of those two men, along with the fact the victim is a human being?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yaboy

She's a troubled young girl.:frown: Not everyone can deal with the problems in this world and their way of stopping the suffering is thinking that suicide is the only answer. She's lucky that her attempt at killing herself was unsuccessful many people do no get the chance.

It's a sin but ultimately it's up to god to judge we cannot be certain that the person will be condemned to hell-god bases his final decision on actions and intentions.

Allah says in the Holy Quran Chapter 4 Surah Nisa verse 29-30: And do not kill yourselves;believe that Allah is compassionate to you.
So why does it matter if she's Muslim. What's that got to do with anythi

Posted from TSR iPad. Don't judge me by my red gems
Reply 9
Incidents like this are starting to emerge from France. It's always women and children being attacked. I really hope an offender attempts to do such a thing outside of a mosque.

Personally, if I was her parents, I'd migrate.
(edited 10 years ago)
This makes me sick
Reply 11
Original post by anonymouse01
So why does it matter if she's Muslim. What's that got to do with anythi

Posted from TSR iPad. Don't judge me by my red gems

Ha, ain't seen you post for a while.

Young buck.
Reply 12
That was a pretty horrible thing done by those men.

Also, nice democracy they have in France.
The French absolutely sicken me. Hope she gets well. my prayers go out to her x
This makes me sick, she didn't do anything to deserve that from those idiots.
Original post by yaboy

Better to let a male relative take it.
Yh but suicide is also illegal so people who commit suicide are criminals and they nevr get arrested or fined if they survive
Lol its funny if they survive what I mean by this is that they try to kill themself but end up being fined.

Turns out its not illegal anymore
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Wasn't she wrong in the first place for wearing it despite it being illegal?

No offence and it is a shame that those men attacked her (they are also in the wrong) but if a non muslim were to go to a muslim country and break one of their laws, would all hell not break loose?

So surely it is not fair in that respect? She broke the law so hell broke loose just like it probably would have if the tables were turned...

Just an opinion. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nespix
I find it disgusting that you have such a strong agenda against Islam that you're willing to take pleasure in such a horrific misfortune. I can't imagine anyone would be in a fit mental state after being attacked by box cutter. Did you conveniently forget the wrongdoing of those two men, along with the fact the victim is a human being?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a feeling that the poster you quoted was, firstly, being sarcastic and secondly, Muslim.

If I'm wrong on either count - big oopsie.
Reply 19
Original post by marie farie
May I take this opportunity to say that Islam is a religion of peace, Oneness of God ( unity is at the very crux of the universe, the atmosphere, the earth, animals,plats etc. all work as a unit) righteousness and respect for other religions.
Regardless of actions that people commit such as rape or violence, it is a violation against Shari'ah Law (Islamic Law) and is considered sinful. The actions of such people is NOT a reflection of Islam, a Religion which raises the status of human kind and teaches them to be good, generous and follow the Attributes of God (such as Mercy and Compassion, but not at the same level) rather it is a reflection upon themselves. Why do I say this? Every human has free will and what you do with it is up to you, whether you decide to worship (insert here), raise havoc, give charity, whatever. Your actions are your own. Therefore when people GENERALIZE Muslims into a group of people who decide to commit indecencies, it is not only unfair but undoubtedly wrong. The majority of Muslims, who are part of the worldwide Muslim brother/sisterhood (called the Ummah) follow the Guidelines given by God's Book, the Final Testament called the Qur'an and would never dream of committing such sins because God is Just and Justly Punishes those who did wrong despite the opportunity for righteousness.
And to EdwardCullen, you seem to confuse religion with ethnicity, Muslims are not only Asian, you can have a White Muslim just like a Black Caribbean can be Christian.
Islam guides those who choose to follow it to the Straight Path or the Path of God, and in doing so, we have no issue with those of other religions. In fact Christians and Jews are what we call the People of the Book. That means that we believe in the Gospel and the Torah as once being the Word of God but being altered by sinners and we also believe in Jesus Son of Mary and Abraham as Prophets. Hence we have no right to criticize those religions despite discrepancies such as claiming that God has partners. A Muslim is someone devoted to God and whose actions are set to Please Him in the light that he/she might be rewarded by following the Path and straying from the Truth. A Muslim follows the Qura'nic teaching: There is no compulsion in religion, and has no hatred in his/her heart.
Thus, if you do not know about Islam, do not criticize it, in the same manner that we do not criticize your religious freedom including if you are an atheist. It is your life and what you believe is up to you.
Yes I know there is terrorism but that is not in accordance with religion, it is in accordance with what a certain someone decided to do. Frankly I am against them and believe that their actions are not in compliance with Islam. Those are not what Islam taught them to be. A true Muslim is someone of such a high order of faith, knowledge, sentiment and truly a quintessence of the prime morals of humankind.

masha allah my fellow muslim thank you for those kind words regarding what islam really about which is a religion of peace and forgiveness....:-) being a muslim does not automatically ensure that you are an extremist- terrorist and this is the main premisconception which many people have...it sadens me to think that these people are ill educated in islam and thus try to follow the scapegoat which everone assumes is correct....many people act like sheep and follow those in control e.g. they automatically assume that the media is right about islam being a religion of terrorism..these types of people are vulnerable to the extreme propaganda the government is showing them and i fear that they will nevet be able to see the true light of islam ..may allah help guide us all to jannah ameen xx
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending