The Student Room Group

Low impact sports...

So basically I have just been told that after doing over 10 years of gymnastics I am no longer allowed to do it, if i want to walk in the future; due to shattering the joint of my shin and ankle bones. So what competitive LOW IMPACT sports are there to participate in?? (Excluding swimming!!)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Chess is a sport... Table tennis, bowling and frisbee can also be great fun.
Hmm I am thinking of a very active one if there is one??
Original post by Tuya
Chess is a sport... Table tennis, bowling and frisbee can also be great fun.

I wouldn't really recommend table tennis tbh
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by delldj
I wouldn't really recommend table tennis tbh

Hmmm. Depends how you play though. I don't play it seriously, so I barely move around while playing.
Reply 5
golf, rowing, cycling, rock climbing (fun though not competitive) but I think swimming would be my preferred choice
Original post by Tuya
Hmmm. Depends how you play though. I don't play it seriously, so I barely move around while playing.

True, I used to play in proper tournaments and its really fast. I guess it depends how seriously you play it
As said above one option is rowing which is an amazing sport :smile:
Reply 8
Badminton?
Reply 9
Why excluding swimming? I've been doing competitive swimming for about 7 years and its been a great experience that I'm glad I gave myself the opportunity to have. It may seem a boring sport but when you're training properly its a really intense workout and generally quite fun when you have a great group of friends doing it with you!
Rowing, cycling
Reply 11
I can't really believe I'm recommending this sport since I hate it but golf for CERTAIN people can be good exercise and Very mentally relaxing and quite addictive just a shame that being the oddball in my family I don't like it
Reply 12

Original post by A random human
Rowing, cycling

Now that's my kind of sports :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Bloxorus
Why excluding swimming? I've been doing competitive swimming for about 7 years and its been a great experience that I'm glad I gave myself the opportunity to have. It may seem a boring sport but when you're training properly its a really intense workout and generally quite fun when you have a great group of friends doing it with you!

Some people have natural fears of water
Dean01234

Yeah I think I am going to go for rowing!! :smile:
Bloxorus,

Because I was a competitive swimmer from the age of 6 and went to a boarding school (same as the Queen's granddaughter and grandson went to) to swim over 21 hours a week... I stopped after almost 8 years. I wouldn't want to go back as I won't be near the same standard as I was and that would annoy me as I am to competitive!!
Golf? It's probably not enough activity but I don't know the severity of your problem so I wouldn't suggest something that doesn't help you. Golf clubs can be pretty cheap so it's just a matter of having a well priced golf course to play on really. You don't need 14 clubs like Tour players
I already play golf socially, but I need something to keep really fit... But thanks for all the suggestions!!
Reply 18
Cycling?
Reply 19
Sailing, if you pick the right boat.

Quick Reply

Latest