The Student Room Group

local uni or far away

hi. I dropped out of uni because I hated it. it was far from home, I made no friends and my room had mould growing. now I have offers from 4 further away unis (but still relatively close, like 1.5 hour drive). my other uni is fairly local where I can commute if I hate it again. however, the local uni is low ranked for my course and in general. the other 4 unis are highly ranked for my course and also in general. im just worried I will hate it again if I go to a further away uni. what do I choose?
Reply 1
I say definitely stick to your gut on this one, don't deprive yourself of new experiences because of previous bad ones. If they're well ranked I would assume that their accomodation is too :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by JTrxcky
I say definitely stick to your gut on this one, don't deprive yourself of new experiences because of previous bad ones. If they're well ranked I would assume that their accomodation is too :smile:

thank you! lol the uni I dropped out of was one of the best in the uk 🙂 I don't have much student finance so I had to pick the cheapest, which I will have to again ☹️ so that does make me unsure
Original post by Anonymous #1
hi. I dropped out of uni because I hated it. it was far from home, I made no friends and my room had mould growing. now I have offers from 4 further away unis (but still relatively close, like 1.5 hour drive). my other uni is fairly local where I can commute if I hate it again. however, the local uni is low ranked for my course and in general. the other 4 unis are highly ranked for my course and also in general. im just worried I will hate it again if I go to a further away uni. what do I choose?

Hi there,

This sounds like a tough decision, but I definitely agree with @JTrxcky. Not every university is the same, so don't let your bad past experience completely influence your decision now.

Was being far from home a big struggle for you? You'll need to consider how much of an impact this had on your well-being and studies to be able to decide whether to stay close to home or not. If it was one of the biggest factors that made you drop out, maybe it would be a better idea to stay closer to home?

I'd also say that while rankings can be useful, it is perfectly fine to go to a lower-ranked university. They don't really make much of a difference in terms of employability or status, so as long as you work hard, put the time and effort in, and are enthusiastic, you can get where you want to go.

Making friends can also be tough, and can absolutely impact your time at university. Do you think it was just the university itself/the people? Were you putting the effort in to meet others? It takes time to establish meaningful friendships, so if you're not putting the effort in to be sociable, the outcome likely won't change no matter where you choose to study. Take a look at sports and societies, activities, and work opportunities in each area, and consider what you can do there to meet people.

I hope this helps,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student
Original post by Anonymous #1

Congrats on the offers!
Have you visited the uni's you've now got offers from? 🙂

It might be helpful now you've got those offers, to maybe revisit the cities (if you've already visited them once) to get a second opinion on the vibes. Might also be worth checking if the uni's you've got offers from have any offer holder days.

I'd also look into things like public transport e.g. things like busses within the university areas (like how reliable they are), train costs and types of journeys (I hate transferring platforms and prefer 'direct' trains, so if this is a thing for you like it is for me, I'd consider this, especially if you're thinking of potentially commuting).

I go to a uni about 3 hours from home, but it has absolutely helped having extended family in the same city (a bit of an extreme example here, but I was able to call my Aunt from the GP, when the GP told me I needed to get to the hospital). This might be something to consider if you've any family living nearby the potential uni's you're thinking of going to.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending