The Student Room Group

should I risk the BMAT for cambridge with high UKCAT and AS?

Hi, I'm looking for some advice really :smile:

I recently sat my UKCAT and did much better than expected - an average of 835 and SJT band 1.

Before that I was thinking of applying to Cambridge, but now I don't know whether to just apply to UKCAT universities as a safer option. (probably newcastle, durham, exeter and leicester)

My GCSEs are 5A*s (chem, physics, bio, english lit and media) and 2As (maths, english language), and I have other qualifications (level 2 BTEC, diploma in digital arts and additional maths, but I know a lot of medical schools won't take too much notice of these)

at AS I got 4As in bio, physics, chem and maths, my ums was -

bio - 97
physics - 93
maths - 95
chem - 87.5

my average UMS for cambridge would be ~93 then, which isn't exceptionally high

I also did a cambridge pre-u in global perspectives and got D3

Other than that, my work experience is sorted and I'm a long term volunteer

in my situation, would most people risk doing the bmat for cambridge or just apply to ukcat universities? I'm also a bit worried that with a lot of bmat prep around the october/early november time I won't have too much time to work on interview techniques

any advice would be greatly appreciated as I really don't know what to do!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by staceyem
x

If you really want to read medicine at Cambridge then definitely apply and do the BMAT. Have you had a look at a specimen BMAT paper?
Reply 2
Original post by Blackshadow
If you really want to read medicine at Cambridge then definitely apply and do the BMAT. Have you had a look at a specimen BMAT paper?

I did look at a BMAT paper a few months ago - I found the science aspects OK however struggled with the maths and I'm not too sure about how I'll find the essay. Thank you for the advice though, I'm just not too sure whether I should be safe and apply where I'm likely to get an interview, as the odds of getting into cambridge are tiny anyway.
Reply 3
There are BMAT pastpapers available online. For section 2 there r several topics that u haven't covered yet, but it is almost the same for everyone, so no worries.
I did look at a BMAT paper a few months ago - I found the science aspects OK however struggled with the maths and I'm not too sure about how I'll find the essay. Thank you for the advice though, I'm just not too sure whether I should be safe and apply where I'm likely to get an interview, as the odds of getting into cambridge are tiny anyway.

Well, it depends on how much you really want to go to Cambridge really. Ideally, you'd need good scores in section 1 and 2 of the BMAT, while your section 3 score doesn't matter too much afaik. In the end it doesn't really make much of a difference where you get that degree from.

However, there are difference in styles/methods of teaching which appeal to some, but not others.
Reply 5
Well, it depends on how much you really want to go to Cambridge really. Ideally, you'd need good scores in section 1 and 2 of the BMAT, while your section 3 score doesn't matter too much afaik. In the end it doesn't really make much of a difference where you get that degree from.

However, there are difference in styles/methods of teaching which appeal to some, but not others.

I do really like the traditional teaching method at cambridge which is the reason I wanted to apply. Do you think with a good BMAT score I could make up for my UMS which might be considered under average by some? And I definitely agree with you about the degree
I do really like the traditional teaching method at cambridge which is the reason I wanted to apply. Do you think with a good BMAT score I could make up for my UMS which might be considered under average by some? And I definitely agree with you about the degree

Your UMS average is perfectly fine. You have a high chance of getting an interview if you get high scores in section 1 and 2 (above 6 I think?). Good luck!
Reply 7
Your UMS average is perfectly fine. You have a high chance of getting an interview if you get high scores in section 1 and 2 (above 6 I think?). Good luck!

Ok then I think I'm going to go for it! Thank you for all your help! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Hi, I'm looking for some advice really :smile:

I recently sat my UKCAT and did much better than expected - an average of 835 and SJT band 1.

Before that I was thinking of applying to Cambridge, but now I don't know whether to just apply to UKCAT universities as a safer option. (probably newcastle, durham, exeter and leicester)

My GCSEs are 5A*s (chem, physics, bio, english lit and media) and 2As (maths, english language), and I have other qualifications (level 2 BTEC, diploma in digital arts and additional maths, but I know a lot of medical schools won't take too much notice of these)

at AS I got 4As in bio, physics, chem and maths, my ums was -

bio - 97
physics - 93
maths - 95
chem - 87.5

my average UMS for cambridge would be ~93 then, which isn't exceptionally high

I also did a cambridge pre-u in global perspectives and got D3

Other than that, my work experience is sorted and I'm a long term volunteer

in my situation, would most people risk doing the bmat for cambridge or just apply to ukcat universities? I'm also a bit worried that with a lot of bmat prep around the october/early november time I won't have too much time to work on interview techniques

any advice would be greatly appreciated as I really don't know what to do!!!!

well id say do the bmat and apply to Cambridge but keep at least 2 Unis as ukcat as your bound to get an interview at both, maybe apply to another bmat like ucl or something it depends on which unis you like the look of but you look like a perfect candidate to get into Cambridge. Also your ukcat score is out of this world good have you got any tips??? I did it last year and got 627.5 avg, good luck but you won't need it your definatley gonna get at least one offer
Reply 9
Original post by wtpcarr
well id say do the bmat and apply to Cambridge but keep at least 2 Unis as ukcat as your bound to get an interview at both, maybe apply to another bmat like ucl or something it depends on which unis you like the look of but you look like a perfect candidate to get into Cambridge. Also your ukcat score is out of this world good have you got any tips??? I did it last year and got 627.5 avg, good luck but you won't need it your definatley gonna get at least one offer

thanks I think I'm going to go for cambridge! :smile: yeah I'll look into that, they'll probably be 3 ukcat universities as I liked the ones I'd looked at anyway. thank you so much I hope so!!! and thanks, my tips would be for VR to read the entire passage first and understand it, and then to answer all of the questions about it. I just don't think you have time to find 4 statements in the text and understand them and answer a question about them in 30 seconds! and that way if you need to look over something you know exactly where to find it! however I wouldn't suggest doing that if you're reading speed is quite slow so it depends on you. and for QR I looked at a question and if I didn't like the look of it I immediately guessed, flagged it and moved on. I found there were a few more easier questions at the end :smile: for DA I translated literally and I think for AR you can only really improve with loads of questions beforehand. thank you and good luck to you too!!!
OP thats an amazing score! I highly recommend that you apply to KCLs 5 year course. There is no way that they will not invite you to interview (so long as your PS is up to scratch) :smile: Have a think about it.
You should apply you'll regret it if you don't and then make three safe choices. I would advise Newcastle, King's and Manchester. It's up to you ultimately but you can afford to make a risky choice if you make three safe ones.
Reply 12
thanks I think I'm going to go for cambridge! :smile: yeah I'll look into that, they'll probably be 3 ukcat universities as I liked the ones I'd looked at anyway. thank you so much I hope so!!! and thanks, my tips would be for VR to read the entire passage first and understand it, and then to answer all of the questions about it. I just don't think you have time to find 4 statements in the text and understand them and answer a question about them in 30 seconds! and that way if you need to look over something you know exactly where to find it! however I wouldn't suggest doing that if you're reading speed is quite slow so it depends on you. and for QR I looked at a question and if I didn't like the look of it I immediately guessed, flagged it and moved on. I found there were a few more easier questions at the end :smile: for DA I translated literally and I think for AR you can only really improve with loads of questions beforehand. thank you and good luck to you too!!!

thanks for the tips , Kaplan book tells you to look for keywords but ill try your method out and see which is working. Quite worried as a re-applicant as I only had 1 interview last time the UKCAT could make or break my application like last time but at least I've got acheived grades I guess.
Original post by wtpcarr
thanks for the tips , Kaplan book tells you to look for keywords but ill try your method out and see which is working. Quite worried as a re-applicant as I only had 1 interview last time the UKCAT could make or break my application like last time but at least I've got acheived grades I guess.

It depends on where you apply. I know someone who got 590, and scored two interviews last year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Congrats on such a great UKCAT score :smile:

Cambridge usually pick the top 3 (relevant) subjects to base their UMS average on. And because maths counts as a relevant subject, you've actually got a UMS average of 95, which is the average for offer holders, so there's no reason not to give Cambridge a shot.

Good luck!
Reply 15
Original post by Hippokrates
You should apply you'll regret it if you don't and then make three safe choices. I would advise Newcastle, King's and Manchester. It's up to you ultimately but you can afford to make a risky choice if you make three safe ones.

Original post by TheStudent.
OP thats an amazing score! I highly recommend that you apply to KCLs 5 year course. There is no way that they will not invite you to interview (so long as your PS is up to scratch) :smile: Have a think about it.

Hi, I did look at Kings but aren't they quite GCSE heavy? I don't really have much GCSEs compared to many other people :colondollar:
Reply 16
Original post by Refrigerator
Congrats on such a great UKCAT score :smile:

Cambridge usually pick the top 3 (relevant) subjects to base their UMS average on. And because maths counts as a relevant subject, you've actually got a UMS average of 95, which is the average for offer holders, so there's no reason not to give Cambridge a shot.

Good luck!

I hope that's right! I thought if I was applying for medicine they would definitely use my chemistry UMS though?
Hi, I did look at Kings but aren't they quite GCSE heavy? I don't really have much GCSEs compared to many other people :colondollar:

Your GCSEs aren't bad at all! 5A*s and 2As is great. You deserve a pat on the back for that :tongue: Anyway, since you've asked, kings use a 'sliding scale'. So a high UKCAT can compensate for low GCSEs. Likewise, high GCSE grades will compensate for a low UKCAT.

In your case, your sky-high UKCAT score and great GCSEs will get you an interview. I can almost guarantee it :biggrin: (Again, this is all dependent on a good PS.)
(edited 10 years ago)

My friend got an interview with 6A*s and 715. So you'll be fine. Makes sure you have lots of volunteering and W/E otherwise you won't score well at interview.
Original post by Hippokrates
My friend got an interview with 6A*s and 715. So you'll be fine. Makes sure you have lots of volunteering and W/E otherwise you won't score well at interview.

Quality > Quantity

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending