The Student Room Group

Mediocre GCSEs for Oxbridge Medicine Application

As the title states I haven't done very well in my GCSEs which I took this year and I am now in College. I want to do Medicine for University, especially Oxbridge. Do you guys know if it's possible for me to get in if I have Predicted 3 A* for my A-Levels in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and an immaculate personal statement. Most importantly I know that the BMAT is being discontinued for the year of my application so whatever entrance exam they do, I can whole-heartedly promise that I will get one of the highest scores ever produced whether it's the UCAT or a new exam. I know it's my fault for not working harder in my GCSEs and I've learned my mistake and I truly do believe I have the capability to produce the results that I mentioned. Which University between Oxford and Cambridge factually puts less emphasis on GCSEs or does it matter if everything else is perfect.

The GCSEs I have gotten are:
Combined Science: 9-8
Maths : 7
English Language: 6
English Literature: 7
Computer Science: 6
Spanish: 8
Geography: 6
Business: L2D* (8/9)

I plan on retaking English Language in the summer and get a grade 9,as it will help with another one of my uni applications. But anyways what do you guys think? Thanks for your time and my rather pathetic desperation.
Original post by Fossil_2007
As the title states I haven't done very well in my GCSEs which I took this year and I am now in College. I want to do Medicine for University, especially Oxbridge. Do you guys know if it's possible for me to get in if I have Predicted 3 A* for my A-Levels in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and an immaculate personal statement. Most importantly I know that the BMAT is being discontinued for the year of my application so whatever entrance exam they do, I can whole-heartedly promise that I will get one of the highest scores ever produced whether it's the UCAT or a new exam. I know it's my fault for not working harder in my GCSEs and I've learned my mistake and I truly do believe I have the capability to produce the results that I mentioned. Which University between Oxford and Cambridge factually puts less emphasis on GCSEs or does it matter if everything else is perfect.

I plan on retaking English Language in the summer and get a grade 9,as it will help with another one of my uni applications. But anyways what do you guys think? Thanks for your time and my rather pathetic desperation.

GCSEs are just a measure of performance, so a strong 3A* and a very good mark in the entrance exam will probably counter the negative effect of the GCSEs, so don't worry and just work hard!!

Good Luck!!
Original post by Fossil_2007

These GCSEs aren’t bad/under average by any stretch. You’ll be fine, just make sure that you really perfect your PS and any admissions exams that you have to do (if you need to). Don’t let Oxford GCSE result stereotypes make you feel like yours are bad because they certainly aren’t! :smile: Obviously a high number of students have exceptional GCSEs but that’s more so a correlation than a causation in my experience, with friends/family who have gotten in without straight 9s at GCSE. That’s not to say they don’t look at your GCSEs, but i’d say it’s more holistic :smile:
Unfortunately I think your GCSEs are too low for Oxford, unless you had extenuating circumstances: https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics see the graph at the bottom there.

You have nA* = 4 and pA* = 0.44 which puts you in a bracket where an interview is practically impossible.

However, Cambridge puts less emphasis on GCSEs and judge your application more holistically, so I would recommend applying there instead!
Data: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/473874/response/1148380/attach/2/FOI%202018%20249%20Sola%20response%20letter%20and%20data.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

Though a minority of applicants with your GCSE profile get in, there are still quite a few of them! If you max out the other portions of your application, a Cambridge admission will be difficult but certainly possible hence I would recommend applying there instead.
Apply to Cambridge rather than Oxford. They take much less interest in GCSEs and you're far more likely to get invited to interview - once you're through to that stage, your interview performance is the main thing they care about.

Your GCSEs are definitely on the low side but they aren't necessarily a killer. I got into Cambridge for medicine with similar GCSEs to yours, albeit decade ago. I had very good BMAT/UKCAT scores though, which probably helped, and my interview performance was strong. I suspect I wouldn't have been invited to interview at Oxford based on my grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending