The Student Room Group
Library, University of East London
University of East London
London
Visit website

UEL wastes £1.5 million of students' money on failed campus in Cyprus

University of East London wastes £1.5 million on campus in Cyprus that closes within it’s first year.

Read all about it:
http://uelsudaze.tumblr.com/

Many people complain only about the academic and student experience at UEL. From my experience as a recently graduated Graphics and Illustration student, these are not the only problems. Management is unorganized and incompetant as well. Even when you want something basic, for example a request for your course schedule feels like climbing a mountain. At the start of third year, I was constantly shuttled back and fourth between offices and at the end of it all was told they were unable to provide me with a course schedule. If a university is unable to do something as basic as that, it is illustrative of the level of management and organization throughout the institution.

I can go on and on with stories like this.

For example when I complained about the low standards in my second year graphic design course and asked perhaps for a photoshop tutorial, I was given a 40% at the end of the year and my end of year portfolio submission disappeared. I am open of course to theoretical learning, but my second year in graphic design consisted of the tutor showing up 30 minutes late every lesson and then talking about how amazing iphones are. At the start of third year they tried to kick me off the course for no reason. After lodging an official complaint I was given a fair grade, and six months later my portfolio magically reappeared.

UEL has some of the lowest admissions standards in the country but also gives students the second least amount of support of any university in the country. It is admirable to accept students that no other university will and give them a chance, but if you do that you also have to provide them with more support then they would get at an average university.

As you can see on the league table, the Staff to student ratio is 24.8 to 1 at UEL. Only Bishop Grossteste University has a higher SSR and they are a theological school.

It felt to me like staff and management antagonize the students rather then help them. At the start of my third year, the head of graphic design stood up infront of the entire class and told us all that only seven people in the class were worth his time and the rest of us were hopeless. He also made several xenophobic jokes aimed at students throughout the year. This is not libel or slander, the entire third year graphics course witnessed this. When university management was told, they did nothing.

In short, my time at UEL felt like a money-making scam, and I have spoken to several current and former UEL students who felt the same.

I would also like to point out something that many incoming international students don't know-docklands campus looks nice on the website but is situated right inbetween City Airport across the river, and a noisy DLR train station on the other side. On some fine sunny days, the air smells of fresh sewage, coming from the Galleon's Reach treatment plant. I wish I could say I am exagerating here, but I'm not.

In short, my advice to all prospective UEL students, speaking as a former UEL student and graduate: STAY AWAY.
Reply 1
To be clear I am Dan Duran the course Leader for Graphic Design at University of East London I took over in 2014-15. Hi Daniel de Sosa, its been a while since you left UEL and I saw you last how are you? I think it would be fair to say a lot has changed since I took over running the Graphic Design Programme, we have stopped doing combined Hons for one. I think Staff would agree the courses back in 2011-12 were not as good as we would have liked. However we are really producing great student experiences now. We are regularly placing students into the Royal College of Art on several courses such as 'Information Experience Design', 'Visual Communication' and 'Vehicle Design'. I think this is a reflection of what we are offering now, which differs greatly from what your experience was. Our Alumni are getting Jobs at various design and Architectural practices such as Foster + Partners. We also have a new scheme which enables students to start their own practice once they have graduated. 'Shepherd & Gall' are based on our campus in the Business Incubator Knowledge Dock and are carving out a good position in the industry. Clearly we did not meet your expectations but I think what we offer on the Graphic Design course is a forward thinking and really relevant course. From the basics key skills such as Idea generation, Typography, Layout, Web design, Photography, Narrative using film or other methods, through to an understanding and engagement with VR and AR, Book design, 3d Print, Art Direction, 16mm film and even things like Bronze casting if the need arises. Best Dan Duran
Library, University of East London
University of East London
London
Visit website
Original post by d.duran
To be clear I am Dan Duran the course Leader for Graphic Design at University of East London I took over in 2014-15. Hi Daniel de Sosa, its been a while since you left UEL and I saw you last how are you? I think it would be fair to say a lot has changed since I took over running the Graphic Design Programme, we have stopped doing combined Hons for one. I think Staff would agree the courses back in 2011-12 were not as good as we would have liked. However we are really producing great student experiences now. We are regularly placing students into the Royal College of Art on several courses such as 'Information Experience Design', 'Visual Communication' and 'Vehicle Design'. I think this is a reflection of what we are offering now, which differs greatly from what your experience was. Our Alumni are getting Jobs at various design and Architectural practices such as Foster + Partners. We also have a new scheme which enables students to start their own practice once they have graduated. 'Shepherd & Gall' are based on our campus in the Business Incubator Knowledge Dock and are carving out a good position in the industry. Clearly we did not meet your expectations but I think what we offer on the Graphic Design course is a forward thinking and really relevant course. From the basics key skills such as Idea generation, Typography, Layout, Web design, Photography, Narrative using film or other methods, through to an understanding and engagement with VR and AR, Book design, 3d Print, Art Direction, 16mm film and even things like Bronze casting if the need arises. Best Dan Duran

Holy ****ing necromance lmao :rofl: :rofl:
Your experience is not alone. The lecturers are of the lowest standard at UEL, but they are very abusive and corrupted. I filed several complaints and the head of Business School started to threaten me and also briefed against me at staff meeting. My marks are suppressed by at least 15% though I still get well over 70%. I am not letting them off.Go to the Ombudsman and you can get thousands in compensation. Collect evidence as much as you can. A lecturer qualified in Ghana teaches Taxation. He gets very abusive when asked a question, compensating his lack of competence. He gave out all exam questions and answers (including wrong answers) beforehand. He then gave his mobile number to help those who didn't know how to finish copying within 6 hours, with the deadline extended later on. I complaint about it and UEL has been turning a blind eye to such rife misconduct. I have been chasing it for a referral letter for the Ombudsman service. I learnt everything on the internet. Avoid UEL at all costs. Go for your rights and get your money back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending