The Student Room Group

Jobs with a BSc in Pharmacology

What jobs can I get with a BSc in Pharmacology and do I have to pursue MSc/Phd in a relevant field to pharmacology. Also if I do pursue a MSc/Phd will the salary be a lot higher or similar
Hi there,

A Bsc in Pharmacology offers you many career opportunities within the biosciences or pharmaceutical industries. For example, medical writer, clinical research associate, medical sales representative or toxicologist. This allows you to work in the NHS, academia or government laboratories.

Although a Masters or Phd is not mandatory for these positions, it is always good to expand your knowledge and develop your expertise. So a Msc in Pharmacology can enhance your skills in drug discovery and development and prepare you for more senior roles in the industry, including a pharmacology scientist, clinical pharmacologist or biomedical scientist.

Lastly, the average salary for a MSc in Pharmacology graduate will vary depending on the sector, employer, location, and experience. But the average salary for Pharmacology Masters graduates is £44,919.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep
Reply 2
Original post by LSBU Student Rep
Hi there,

A Bsc in Pharmacology offers you many career opportunities within the biosciences or pharmaceutical industries. For example, medical writer, clinical research associate, medical sales representative or toxicologist. This allows you to work in the NHS, academia or government laboratories.

Although a Masters or Phd is not mandatory for these positions, it is always good to expand your knowledge and develop your expertise. So a Msc in Pharmacology can enhance your skills in drug discovery and development and prepare you for more senior roles in the industry, including a pharmacology scientist, clinical pharmacologist or biomedical scientist.

Lastly, the average salary for a MSc in Pharmacology graduate will vary depending on the sector, employer, location, and experience. But the average salary for Pharmacology Masters graduates is £44,919.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep
Thank you. The reason I am a bit skeptical is because I don’t want to waste my 3yrs of my life on a phd that I might not like because the description of a degree is different to what it actually looks like. Also, what type of phds are good to do with a BSc in pharmacology to have a good role in a pharmaceutical industry
No worries, I completely understand.

Afterall, a PhD is a serious commitment.

A great option might be a funded PhD that covers tuition, research and (occassionally) accommodation. Such programmes are mainly focused on studying the development of drugs, pharmacology and therapeutic research.

Other great PhD options that work closely with the pharmaceutical industry are in drug discovery, clinical pharmacology and translation research.

Thankfully, you have many options to choose from and they can promise you an exciting career.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with!

Cheers,
Melanie
LSBU Rep
Original post by abdul 580
What jobs can I get with a BSc in Pharmacology and do I have to pursue MSc/Phd in a relevant field to pharmacology. Also if I do pursue a MSc/Phd will the salary be a lot higher or similar
Hi @abdul 580,

I hope you are doing well.

UEL offers BSc Pharmacology and applications can be made using the following link: https://uel.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/bsc-hons-pharmacology

UEL holds Open Events for prospective students. This would be a great opportunity for you to speak to current students, Academics and also have a campus tour. It can be booked online using the following link:
Undergraduate Open Days | University of East London (uel.ac.uk)

You can also speak to Student Ambassadors studying your course. They can be reached using the following website:
Chat to our students | University of East London (uel.ac.uk)

For further information, please feel free to contact Applicant Engagement via telephone on 0208 223 3333.

-Anisha
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 5
Original post by LSBU Student Rep
No worries, I completely understand.
Afterall, a PhD is a serious commitment.
A great option might be a funded PhD that covers tuition, research and (occassionally) accommodation. Such programmes are mainly focused on studying the development of drugs, pharmacology and therapeutic research.
Other great PhD options that work closely with the pharmaceutical industry are in drug discovery, clinical pharmacology and translation research.
Thankfully, you have many options to choose from and they can promise you an exciting career.
Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with!
Cheers,
Melanie
LSBU Rep

What are some of the ways to get a funded PhD because I heard that people need a 1st to be able to apply to these funding organisations. Is that true?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending