The Student Room Group

DSA reimbursement backdated

Hi all.

I had my needs assessment in January and received my DSA entitlement letter in the February of this year. I was awarded travel costs, book allowance, photocopying costs and internet cost. When I had my needs assessment I was told to keep any receipts from there on in and if I had any receipts that was relevant to the reimbursement from the start of the university year to also keep hold of them to submit them.

I submitted the reimbursement form and all the evidence that and have just received an email back from the DSA informing me that they are not going to reimburse the full submission because some of the cost was incurred before I received my entitlement notification.

I don't know if I should challenge this decision or not. I have read other posts on here that seem to have had a different response from DSA team. I waited 3 months for the DSA assessment (did not know about DSA until last September), I seem to have been misinformed at the assessment and then waited a further 5 weeks to get my entitlement notification.

What are people's views on this?
I don't know an awful lot about it, but whatever they deemed worthy to give you the entitlement, was clearly apparent prior to that, I'd definitely fight it. It's worth a shot.
Reply 2
Its due to a change in policy at SFE. They will no longer reimburse costs incurred prior to the date of the assessment of needs. This includes students buying laptops, general allowance etc .
Original post by NJones
Its due to a change in policy at SFE. They will no longer reimburse costs incurred prior to the date of the assessment of needs. This includes students buying laptops, general allowance etc .

Just wondered if you'd have any idea on this... I got my entitlement letter end of July, with a claim form. I have bought some things for my course (non core text books) and wondered if I can claim them back? I received a claim form in the post before buying these, and I also already enrolled in university and have my student ID etc. My university also already told SFE I'm attending there.
Reply 4
I wonder when the policy on this was changed. If It after I had my needs assessment then surly they should still honour the previous policy. Does anyone know when it was changed?
Reply 5
SFE don't work like that. If the policy changed after your AON then the change will affect you still.
Reply 6
Original post by Knalchemist
Just wondered if you'd have any idea on this... I got my entitlement letter end of July, with a claim form. I have bought some things for my course (non core text books) and wondered if I can claim them back? I received a claim form in the post before buying these, and I also already enrolled in university and have my student ID etc. My university also already told SFE I'm attending there.

Its a bit of a grey area and seems to depend on who you talk to at SFE. In theory DSA only supports a student during term time so any purchases before the timetabled start of a course may not be supported. The only way to find out is to submit them, explain why they were purchased before the start of the course and see what happens.

Quick Reply

Latest