The Student Room Group

Official Higher English 2013-2014 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Just realised how completely unprepared I am for this prelim I have...

What and how do I study for this exam ? I have to write the two essays and do close reading. Just how do I study ? Which quotes do I learn... AAAH

My book is 1984 and my play is Macbeth, so if anyone has good notes for either of them, that would be a great help.
Reply 81
Original post by Bromaldehyde
Just realised how completely unprepared I am for this prelim I have...

What and how do I study for this exam ? I have to write the two essays and do close reading. Just how do I study ? Which quotes do I learn... AAAH

My book is 1984 and my play is Macbeth, so if anyone has good notes for either of them, that would be a great help.

For the closing reading the things you should do before the exam is make sure you know all the different techniques and know or find templates for how to answer all of the types of questions. Once you know this then it is just a matter of practicing applying this.

For your texts it is key to know the most important themes of the your texts e.g for 1984 it will be the oppressive control of the party over Oceania. You can google for notes on the these two texts and it will give you a list of the quotes and some analysis. Once you know these themes well you should be able to adjust this knowledge to a variety of questions. Also important to looking at setting and character development etc and how these link to the themes.
What should I do to revise? Should I like, do practice essays or something?
Reply 83
Original post by Pennyarcade
What should I do to revise? Should I like, do practice essays or something?

Practice essays help, definitely; it trains you to keep your line of thought.

Re-read your texts; it should be the most obvious thing. You need to know your book/drama/play/etc. inside out to be prepared.

Compile quote lists for questions that may come up so you have essays planned even if you don't actually write them
Do I need to mention how something links to the theme of the play in each paragraph - ie putting "This ties to the theme of reputation as is highlights the extraordinary measures characters..." at the end
or is it okay to mention it this way - "... he knows that he cannot doubt her story or his reputation will be ruined, something which he feels is more important than peoples lives"
Reply 85
Anyone able to give me( And everyone else) any tips for memorization of these damn quotes that work better that 'Stare at page for ages until it goes in', which is generally the one I go for.

So boring...must....continue....:argh:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Memetics
Anyone able to give me( And everyone else) any tips for memorization of these damn quotes that work better that 'Stare at page for ages until it goes in', which is generally the one I go for.

So boring...must....continue....s]argh

Do you actually sit and try to memorise a ton of quotes? I just write practice essays and by analysing the quote it makes it stick into my mind more. To be honest, no matter what my english teacher thinks, I still believe that you can get away with knowing ~8 long quotes and ~5 short ones that you can use for embedded quotes.
Reply 87
Do you actually sit and try to memorise a ton of quotes? I just write practice essays and by analysing the quote it makes it stick into my mind more. To be honest, no matter what my english teacher thinks, I still believe that you can get away with knowing ~8 long quotes and ~5 short ones that you can use for embedded quotes.

I do it for the poem, for my novel I've just went and looked through the book, wrote down interesting/ important quotes and wrote down a few notes for each one. I haven't really done any practice essays yet , been focusing on math instead for the most part.

How's your studying been going anyway, do you feel prepared? When's your first prelim? Mines on the 14th, seems too close now.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Memetics
I do it for the poem, for my novel I've just went and looked through the book, wrote down interesting/ important quotes and wrote down a few notes for each one. I haven't really done any practice essays yet , been focusing on math instead for the most part.

How's your studying been going anyway, do you feel prepared? When's your first prelim? Mines on the 14th, seems too close now.

Ah right, Im going to need to be memorising my poem soon.. I cant wait ...
My first prelim is on the 1st of feb, So I have ages yet. Im oddly confident for them, I have been doing a hell of alot of pastpapers and doing well in them all :tongue: Since I have nothing better to do with my time I pretty much spend all day studying and I actually think it can be pretty fun at times. :cool:
What about you? are you prepared?
Original post by Apologetic Cube
I was dreading this prelim last year :laugh:...

How so? What did you end up with?
Reply 90
Was it just me who learned their 'quotes' by just re-reading the text so I knew it so well I could just quote it?
yeah, close reading isn't too bad. god knows what i'm going to do for these essays though, looks like bull****ting my way through it is the answer !
Original post by -Neuro-
I've got a few 23 and 25 marker essays which I could dig out for you guys, if that would help? :biggrin:

The good thing about English is the insanely low grade boundaries, a guy in my year got an A1 with 72%!

yeah it would be a great help :tongue:
And thankfully close reading is pretty straightforward so that boosts your grade up loads
Reply 93
Ah right, Im going to need to be memorising my poem soon.. I cant wait ...
My first prelim is on the 1st of feb, So I have ages yet. Im oddly confident for them, I have been doing a hell of alot of pastpapers and doing well in them all :tongue: Since I have nothing better to do with my time I pretty much spend all day studying and I actually think it can be pretty fun at times. :cool:
What about you? are you prepared?

Prepared? No, no, no, no I'm not prepared...yet.

You'll be sitting your first 2 days before my fourth! That's fairly irratating. I don't have Physics until March though. :smile:

Original post by -Neuro-
I've got a few 23 and 25 marker essays which I could dig out for you guys, if that would help? :biggrin:

The good thing about English is the insanely low grade boundaries, a guy in my year got an A1 with 72%!

It definitely wouldn't hurt! Highest I've got so far is 21 marks, but I did have the book in front of me. :colondollar:
MRW when I find out that all the other classes in my year got notes made by their teacher for the prelim but our class didn't:
tumblr_mjmmw0P46N1r7c5qfo1_400.gif
Is 78% as mark (what I got in a past paper tonight) good enough for close reading if it was to be the thing to strengthen my grade if my critical essays f-up?
Not that they will (hopefully) but I see some people saying that their grade was pulled up by close reading...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeschichteJunge
Is 78% as mark (what I got in a past paper tonight) good enough for close reading if it was to be the thing to strengthen my grade if my critical essays f-up?
Not that they will (hopefully) but I see some people saying that their grade was pulled up by close reading...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Experiment with this http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/46172.html and it will tell you.
I found out that you can get away with 17 for both critical essays, 35 in the CR and 38/50 in your folio and still comfortably get an A, which isnt too bad. Obviously if you get 39 in the CR you can have 15s for both essays etc etc.
What plays are you guys doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Original post by weejackie10

Posted from TSR Mobile

We're going to do The crucible. Not yet though.

And guys, do you think It'd be okay if I just ignored my media topic, and just focused solely on my poem and novel for the prelim. It'd be risky, but I just hate doing media essays. :tongue:
Original post by weejackie10

Posted from TSR Mobile

The crucible. A good question comes up on it nearly every year but I seem to hate writing about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending