The Student Room Group

WJEC GCSE English Language 3rd June 2014 Official Thread

Welcome to the WJEC GCSE English Language 3rd June 2014 official thread.

Feel free to discuss, post questions and answers related to this exam.

I'll kick things off: When do we do PEE (Point, Example, Explain) and when do we do PE (Point, Example)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't study WJEC English but, I feel I can help anyone. Whats in your exam?
Reply 2
i think you only do PEE when its the how questions i do wjec swell
Reply 3
Ah, thats alright.
Anyone know what the unit 2 questions were for last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
what even is english language, i have forgotten... (i hate english) its two exams right? what do they both consist of o.o
it consists of 2 papers, one fiction, one non fiction.
in the fiction paper, you analyse a piece of writing by a famous author, and answer 4 questions. then you write an extended piece of fictitious writing, (ie, a story, or description.)
the non fiction paper requires you to compare 2 pieces of factual writing, like a news article, or blog.
then you have to write an extended piece of writing on a factual piece, (ie, letter, or news article) in response to a question, where you will have to show your opinion.
hope this helps, and good luck for the exam :wink:
Original post by sixstringsguy
in the fiction paper, you analyse a piece of writing by a famous author, and answer 4 questions. then you write an extended piece of fictitious writing, (ie, a story, or description.)
the non fiction paper requires you to compare 2 pieces of factual writing, like a news article, or blog.
then you have to write an extended piece of writing on a factual piece, (ie, letter, or news article) in response to a question, where you will have to show your opinion.

I think that is incorrect. There are 2 exams: (both 1 hour each)

Unit 1 - Read 2 non fiction texts and answer 4 questions on it.
Unit 2 - Write a leaflet/article/letter/speech etc. on a certain topic (2 questions total)
(edited 9 years ago)
Dreading Unit 1...

My teacher's so rubbish, she doesn't even know what she's doing because it's her 'first time teaching this exam board'.

I'm deffo going to do rubbish on that paper. The two things I'm most confused about is when we use quotations and when we just paraphrase, and also when we have to talk about implied meanings etc...

This whole year's been such a waste. All our english lessons have consisted of is just working solely out of that stupid WJEC workbook which doesn't even help. My school's english department is just a falling apart :mad:
Original post by Qiang.Feng
I think that is incorrect. There are 2 exams: (both 1 hour each)

Unit 1 - Read 2 non fiction texts and answer 4 questions on it.
Unit 2 - Write a leaflet/article/letter/speech etc. on a certain topic (2 questions total)

for our specification, each exam is 1 hour 45 minutes.
Our spec. is only used in Wales though so I don't know about yours.

Unit 1 - Read ONE fiction text and answer 3 questions on it (10 marks each, 30 UMS) and write a "imaginative story" with the titles given (worth another 30 UMS)
Unit 2 - Read ONE non-fiction text and answer 3 questions on it (10 marks each again , 30 UMS) and write either a leaflet/article/letter etc. (worth 30 UMS again)

Source:
http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/publications/17195.pdf

For ALL specs:
http://www.wjec.co.uk/index.php?subject=51&level=7&list=docs&docCatID=25
Reply 10
I've been looking through past papers and there's never been a review question - do you think it's likely to come up next week?

And if it did, what sort of form would the question take? We haven't really done any practice on reviews in class and I'm not sure whether they'd ask you to review either:

a film/book etc. that they make up (as in, you'd make up characters/actors/plot while reviewing - they just give you a title)

a film/book etc. of your choice

a specified film OR book of your choice e.g. 'Write a review of a book you've read recently'

(edited 9 years ago)
Would anyone be able to give me tips to answer the 'how' questions?
Original post by sixstringsguy

Actually you are very wrong, this is the WJEC thread. WJEC is different to what you are specifying, wjec english requires you to write two texts for the writing paper and answer four questions fot the non reading.
Original post by iz24
I've been looking through past papers and there's never been a review question - do you think it's likely to come up next week?

And if it did, what sort of form would the question take? We haven't really done any practice on reviews in class and I'm not sure whether they'd ask you to review either:

a film/book etc. that they make up (as in, you'd make up characters/actors/plot while reviewing - they just give you a title)

a film/book etc. of your choice

a specified film OR book of your choice e.g. 'Write a review of a book you've read recently'

My teacher's said that they're likely to ask you to write a review on a film/book of your choice.
Original post by chuckster111
My teacher's said that they're likely to ask you to write a review on a film/book of your choice.

Do you know what else would most likely appear before/after that question? Normally there's two questions asking you write about something in different layout types.

Callum.
Original post by bethbarwell
Would anyone be able to give me tips to answer the 'how' questions?

You basically identify what the writer has said and then comment on it. Your expected to comment on the language used, the tone, any pictures etc.
Original post by Callum_Haynes
Do you know what else would most likely appear before/after that question? Normally there's two questions asking you write about something in different layout types.

Callum.

There's always a letter so it'll be a letter and something else.
Reply 17
I'm doing WJEC English Language, even though I live in Yorkshire. Each to their own, I suppose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Would anyone be able to explain how to answer the 1st question (i.e. the 'search and find' one)?

My teacher said that all I have to do is something like this: e.g.

Joe Wade hates Glastonbury due to the people who go there. He resents the "success" that Glastonbury has had and also dislikes the fact that the tickets are ridiculously expensive - costing "£185" each. He describes being at the event was like the "wild west" as the people tore through the site like a "plague of locusts" and they go around "stealing tents and their contents" ...

(The question was: Explain why Joe Wade hates Glastonbury Festival)

Is this correct? or are we supposed to do something else for the first question?

I am asking this as it seems strange because the entire answer is just 1 large paragraph.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
Is it really likely that one of the Qs would be to write a review on a book/film? ._.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending