The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I feel like all my subjects are still GCSE level, especially Maths as S1 so far is just GCSE Stats stuff. I'm liking the Mechanics part of Physics a lot. Mainly because it's mainly been Maths stuff so far. But the Waves topic is starting to get a bit strange :s
Original post by Elm Tree
Whaat lol. 4 Lessons in one day?!
I wouldn't be able to hand that :hand:

Normally there's six lessons per day, on Thursday there's seven :tongue:

Normally I have a quadruple lesson in the morn and after break, then a double (of a different subject) after lunch. On Tuesdays we have PSHE in the morning, which means an extra lesson after school on Thursday to compensate :unimpressed: .
Reply 62
Original post by techno836
It'll soon catch up to you ... if it's like M2 then there is definitely an easily noticeable jump! :lol: i spent around 2 hours on my M2 homework today :rolleyes:

loool i'm doing maths and further maths so m2 is being done this year, shouldn't be too difficult. Doing M1 atm in further maths though, which I think is actually a bit weird :s
Reply 63
Thanks for the links. I got Maths, Physics, ICT and Biology!
Original post by Helmet Diver
My Physics teachers are leaving/retiring and the Head isn't open to us self teaching A2 because he thinks it will affect our other subjects :frown:

:eek: they should be hiring a new teacher!
Reply 65
I am yet to start physics
Reply 66
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Your my ROLE MODEL !:loveduck:
Do you mind if I ask what you got for GCSE Maths & if you were doing Double/Triple what did you get?

How did you find the jump yourself? How was your workload towards the exam? :juggle:

GCSE Maths-A*

Double Science I did. For Core I got A. I did foundation fist, but teacher realises that she was wrong, so had to do retakes on higher to go from B to A. For Additional A* (400/400:biggrin:) I didn't do triple, don't think it would've helped anyway, unless you are planning on say medicine @ a really top uni. I don't think it gave me much of an advantage as to those who did do triple.

Jump was pretty small for me in learning the content. t's a case of working your ass off consistently everyday no matter how tire you are, not giving up and doing dozens of questions and past papers. I think I worked around the same amount @ the start and at the end which helps a LOT. But a word about exams. In GCSE you could finish with a lot of time left, but in A level you crave for more time, so I found the exams quite a jump!
(edited 10 years ago)
Hello everyone! I'm studying Physics AS and I already love it! ISo far we have covered constituents of the atom, specific charge and yesterday we learnt about the subatomic particles and quarks, all very interesting stuff indeed! I'm also studying Mathematics, Chemistry and Biology. I am glad this thread was created so that we can help each other if we have any problems with the subject. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Howdy my fellow physicists! :smile:
I am redoing AS level physics after i got a grade U last year, but now im at college doing OCR A.
Reply 69
Does anyone know if an EPQ is good for applying for Physics at Uni?

For enrichment we have to do one of them, or general studies (big no) or work experience, but there is no relevant work for physics :frown:

So far I put myself down for an EPQ, but I can't think of a question to do (physics)!
Reply 70
Original post by sneakbo2
loool i'm doing maths and further maths so m2 is being done this year, shouldn't be too difficult. Doing M1 atm in further maths though, which I think is actually a bit weird :s

Ahh i'm doing M2 for further and M1 for AS Maths ... but we're doing M2 first in FM and M1 last in Maths :rolleyes:

Original post by Tibbz2
Does anyone know if an EPQ is good for applying for Physics at Uni?

For enrichment we have to do one of them, or general studies (big no) or work experience, but there is no relevant work for physics :frown:

So far I put myself down for an EPQ, but I can't think of a question to do (physics)!

Hmmmm that's a strange question actually :holmes: i guess there are 2 things possible here

EPQ. I would say it is worth it, but i understand the difficulty of finding a question especially since really in physics it will just be somebody else's work ... But i guess you could do like the development of some theory over a certain time as there will be a lot of research etc. :biggrin:

W/e: whilst there is no relevent w/e for physics does your school give you a list and you pick? or can you put forward an Idea? Either way i would have a word with your school and ask about Teaching physics to Year 7's (or being a TA :smile: ) OR at my school last year somebody arranged a week's placement thingy at a university in the labs :holmes: (although this was for chemistry, but you could look into it) :smile:
Reply 71
Ahh i'm doing M2 for further and M1 for AS Maths ... but we're doing M2 first in FM and M1 last in Maths :rolleyes:

Hmmmm that's a strange question actually :holmes: i guess there are 2 things possible here

EPQ. I would say it is worth it, but i understand the difficulty of finding a question especially since really in physics it will just be somebody else's work ... But i guess you could do like the development of some theory over a certain time as there will be a lot of research etc. :biggrin:

W/e: whilst there is no relevent w/e for physics does your school give you a list and you pick? or can you put forward an Idea? Either way i would have a word with your school and ask about Teaching physics to Year 7's (or being a TA :smile: ) OR at my school last year somebody arranged a week's placement thingy at a university in the labs :holmes: (although this was for chemistry, but you could look into it) :smile:

On the work experience front I can't really go to Unis on a Wednesday afternoon, however I am trying to get a placement in a physics lab for a holiday at some point!

I'm still stumped on a topic. We have had zero guidance on what we should be doing and it's really bugging me :frown:
Reply 72
Original post by Tibbz2
On the work experience front I can't really go to Unis on a Wednesday afternoon, however I am trying to get a placement in a physics lab for a holiday at some point!

I'm still stumped on a topic. We have had zero guidance on what we should be doing and it's really bugging me :frown:

Ahhh i see, that's good but you could try the Year 7 thing :h:

and i was thinking more along the lines of how physics has changed how we view the simple atom over the past x Years :h:
Reply 73
Ahhh i see, that's good but you could try the Year 7 thing :h:

and i was thinking more along the lines of how physics has changed how we view the simple atom over the past x Years :h:

True, but I don't think I can teach very well.

Does the title have to be an argument type thing with two sides, or can it just be a project researching about something like how the view of an atom changed?

I was thinking of doing something in astronomy, like variable stars or supernovae, but I don't know how I would make that into a topic to research
Reply 74
Original post by Tibbz2
True, but I don't think I can teach very well.

Does the title have to be an argument type thing with two sides, or can it just be a project researching about something like how the view of an atom changed?

I was thinking of doing something in astronomy, like variable stars or supernovae, but I don't know how I would make that into a topic to research

Having been on the EPQ thread for ages i know it's alot easier if you can make it a question and not just research of you know what i mean :h: .. I don't believe it has to be a two sided argument though :/
Original post by L'Evil Fish
:eek: they should be hiring a new teacher!

They will be, but it'll be about a quarter way through the year they believe, which is apparently too late even though we're willing to teach ourselves. Screw them. :angry: I might sit Physics as a private candidate though, I'm still thinking about it.
Reply 76
Having been on the EPQ thread for ages i know it's alot easier if you can make it a question and not just research of you know what i mean :h: .. I don't believe it has to be a two sided argument though :/

Okay, thanks :smile:

Going to be difficult to think of something for me, I'm not very creative :redface:
Original post by sneakbo2
Phsyics has been alright so far, i'm yet to witness this "step-up" from gcse

They lie. If you're an 'alright' mathematician, I don't think Physics AS is hard at all really as long as you put in the effort. The concepts you study are hardly a step-up (though definitely more interesting, especially the particle stuff :biggrin: ).
Reply 78
Original post by Tibbz2
Okay, thanks :smile:

Going to be difficult to think of something for me, I'm not very creative :redface:

Best of luck :h: and google Physics related EPQ questions .... there must be something :lol:
Reply 79
Best of luck :h: and google Physics related EPQ questions .... there must be something :lol:

There are topic ideas like cataclysmic variables and stuff, but I just don't know how to make a question out of anything that would have a lot of research :redface: :colondollar:

Latest