The Student Room Group

Differentiation questions (difficult)

Hi, how would I go about solving these? Any pointers to start me off would be great

1. Given f (x) = 4 cos x - sin^2 x, find f'(pi/2)

2. Find the coordinates of the stationary points on the curve y = sin x + cos x for 0 x 2pi and determine the nature of each point

3. I) if y = sin x (cos x)^2, find dy/dx

Ii) find the three values of x between 0 and pi radians at which dy/dx = 0

Thank you everyone!

Scroll to see replies

Do you know the chain rule or the product rule?

You are going to need to differentiate for each question. Can you post some working?
Original post by lolables
Hi, how would I go about solving these? Any pointers to start me off would be great

2. Find the coordinates of the stationary points on the curve y = sin x + cos x for 0 x 2pi and determine the nature of each point

Thank you everyone!

1. Given f (x) = 4 cos x - sin^2 x, find f'(pi/2) Differentiate this, and then substitute π2\frac{\pi}{2} for x. You need to have knowledge of the chain rule to solve this problem. Do you know what the chain rule is?

2. Find the coordinates of the stationary points on the curve y = sin x + cos x for 0 x 2pi and determine the nature of each point Think to yourself: what must the gradient be at a stationary point? Also, then consider how do you get the gradient at any point on this graph?

3. I) if y = sin x (cos x)^2, find dy/dx Have you ever come across the product rule? You need to use that here, and the chain rule is also part of this problem

Ii) find the three values of x between 0 and pi radians at which dy/dx = 0 After you've found the differential of y=sinx(cosx)2y=sinx(cosx)^2, make it equal to zero.

I hope that is helpful! :biggrin:

I would agree with Mr M - post some working out, so we can see how much you know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Okay so for q1. I differentiated and got -4sin theta - 2 cos theta, and I have no idea where to go from there.

As for the other two, I don't even know where to begin

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay so for q1. I differentiated and got -4sin theta - 2 cos theta, and I have no idea where to go from there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You haven't differentiated the second term correctly. You need to use the Chain Rule or the Product Rule.

Posted from TSR Mobile

f(x)=4cosxsin2xf (x) = 4 cos x - sin^2 x

You've differentiated the 4cosx4cosx correctly, but not the sin2x-sin^2x

Like Mr M said, you need to use the chain rule here. Here's a tip to make it a little easier though:

Instead of writing sin2x-sin^2x as that, write it as:(sinx)2-(sinx)^2. Does that help you understand why the chain rule is needed? :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by kingaaran
f(x)=4cosxsin2xf (x) = 4 cos x - sin^2 x

You've differentiated the 4cosx4cosx correctly, but not the sin2x-sin^2x

Like Mr M said, you need to use the chain rule here. Here's a tip to make it a little easier though:

Instead of writing sin2x-sin^2x as that, write it as:(sinx)2-(sinx)^2. Does that help you understand why the chain rule is needed? :biggrin:

Thank you! So I tried again and got -4sin theta - 2 sin theta cos theta

Any better? :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes that's right.
Reply 8

Apart from the fact that you have changed x to theta for some reason

That is correct
Reply 9
Original post by Mr M
Yes that's right.

Thank you so much! But I trued substituting the pi/2 but I keep getting the wrong answer :s the answer is supposed to be -4 but I keep getting something like -0.16...
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by TenOfThem
Apart from the fact that you have changed x to theta for some reason

That is correct

I have no idea what to do for the 2nd or 3rd question though, could you perhaps give me further guidance? Thank you so nuch

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Thank you so much! But I trued substituting the pi/2 but I keep getting the wrong answer :s the answer is supposed to be -4 but I keep getting something like -0.16...
Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you using a calculator set to degrees?!

You should know what sin(pi/2) and cos(pi/2) are without doing any calculations :smile:

Thank you everyone!

Ppl have given you advice already but use the double angle formula (sin2x=2sinxcosx) to simplify 3 then use the product rule to differentiate!
I have no idea what to do for the 2nd or 3rd question though, could you perhaps give me further guidance? Thank you so nuch

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need to differentiate for both - have you had a go
Reply 14
Original post by davros
Are you using a calculator set to degrees?!

You should know what sin(pi/2) and cos(pi/2) are without doing any calculations :smile:

Oh thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Posted from TSR Mobile

Whenever you have calculus and trigonometry together, don't forget to use radians.

Checking the range given is also helpful. 0<x<2π0 < x < 2\pi in radians is the same thing as 0<x<3600 < x < 360 in degrees.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Is the answer to the 3rd question -sin x 2 cos x sin x + (cos x )^3 ???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Is the answer to the 3rd question -sin x 2 cos x sin x + (cos x )^3 ???

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you mean 2cosxsin2x+cos3x-2cos{x} sin^2{x} + cos^3{x} then yes that looks right.
Reply 18
Original post by Exon
If you mean 2cosxsin2x+cos3x-2cos{x} sin^2{x} + cos^3{x} then yes that looks right.

Thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Exon

How do you approach q3 2nd part?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest