The Student Room Group

I'm Dutch, ask me anything.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IWantToBeThere
It's like a continuous spectrum I think. You probably sound more British now than 3 years ago. 7 years from now, you'll sound more British than now,....

You were born in Holland and you forget when to use de or het? :biggrin:

Haha I'm not Dutch so it's really a 2nd language to me, so I just guess and hope I'm right :colondollar: The only thing I've poached from here is the vocabulary and a massive love for wings, but my accent still makes me sound like a total tourist :P
Original post by alexschmalex
Haha I'm not Dutch so it's really a 2nd language to me, so I just guess and hope I'm right :colondollar: The only thing I've poached from here is the vocabulary and a massive love for wings, but my accent still makes me sound like a total tourist :P

You just said "I was born in Holland". How is it not your first language? Didn't you grow up there?
You just said "I was born in Holland". How is it not your first language? Didn't you grow up there?

My family is Cameroonian but my dad was working in Holland when I was born and never left, so we didn't speak it at home, just picked up the language as I grew up!
Original post by alexschmalex
My family is Cameroonian but my dad was working in Holland when I was born and never left, so we didn't speak it at home, just picked up the language as I grew up!

So you have the native accent I guess?
So you have the native accent I guess?

Nope, American (dw it confuses damn near everyone I meet haha)

Quick Reply

Latest