The Student Room Group

Duolingo- learning Indonesian?

Good morning,

I’ve recently started a course on Duolingo and I know some basics in Bahasa Indonesian but I’m hoping to elevate to the next level.

Is there anyone that would be happy to join me on there for some quests thing. And/or if there’s any indo people on here that can speak English that would like to help, I’d also be up for that too.

Thanks
Reply 1
Duolingo is not well respected within the language learning community.

Try Pimsleur and/or Assimil.
Reply 2
Original post by mathperson

Are they affordable? I’m learning as a hobby and I don’t want to spend a lot of money
Reply 3
Original post by KingRich
Are they affordable? I’m learning as a hobby and I don’t want to spend a lot of money

Yes, very affordable. Take a look at their websites.
Reply 4

I don’t think assimil have a course in Indonesian from an English base? Maybe an old one is available on eBay?
Reply 5

Try your library.
Reply 6
Yes, very affordable. Take a look at their websites.

I looked at the app for assimil but it wasn’t rated highly and their website, mmm, I’m not too certain how it works but it said had no recordings for Indo
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
I don’t think assimil have a course in Indonesian from an English base? Maybe an old one is available on eBay?

You may be correct. I have no idea.
Learning Indonesian isn't common so I wouldn't be at all surprised if you are correct.

Pimsleur does have at least one level in Indonesian: https://www.pimsleur.com/learn-indonesian/all-products

I looked at the app for assimil but it wasn’t rated highly and their website, mmm, I’m not too certain how it works but it said had no recordings for Indo

Assimil doesn't have an app as far as I'm aware.
Pimsleur does however, and it's fantastic. Ich lerne Deutsch :wink:
Reply 8
You may be correct. I have no idea.
Learning Indonesian isn't common so I wouldn't be at all surprised if you are correct.

Pimsleur does have at least one level in Indonesian: https://www.pimsleur.com/learn-indonesian/all-products

Assimil doesn't have an app as far as I'm aware.
Pimsleur does however, and it's fantastic. Ich lerne Deutsch :wink:

I don’t speak Dutch but I presume that means I’m learning Dutch lol.

Saya belager bahasa indonesia. Lol Duolingo isn’t that bad. I’ve spoken to a few Indonesian people via a game I have and they’ve confirmed it’s good. I shall see how much I can do in my two week free trial and decide if the other app is needed.

I came to the realisation that this is a U.K. site and there likely won’t be any Indonesians using it, unless living in the U.K. lol!
Reply 9
I don’t speak Dutch but I presume that means I’m learning Dutch lol.

Saya belager bahasa indonesia. Lol Duolingo isn’t that bad. I’ve spoken to a few Indonesian people via a game I have and they’ve confirmed it’s good. I shall see how much I can do in my two week free trial and decide if the other app is needed.

I came to the realisation that this is a U.K. site and there likely won’t be any Indonesians using it, unless living in the U.K. lol!

No, Deutsch is German :h:
Not to be confused with Dutch.

Duolingo is used by the masses because it's supposed to be fun and it has gamified language learning, but it is not very well respected at all among the serious language learning community.
Reply 10
Try Australian sites as it is much more common for people there to learn Indonesian.
Reply 11
No, Deutsch is German :h:
Not to be confused with Dutch.

Duolingo is used by the masses because it's supposed to be fun and it has gamified language learning, but it is not very well respected at all among the serious language learning community.

You’re not wrong about Duolingo. I already knew some basics but the lessons it’s self has the tendency to jump words or introduce words that they’ve not yet introduced you to. For example: ‘Umar saya dua pullah tahun’ which in English I believe translates in order as above Old, I am twenty, obviously proper translation I am twenty years old. My conclusion would be that tahun could be years but I have no idea lol. It’s like a guessing game every time. The same goes for ‘berapa’ which might be ‘how old’ I know Indonesian is a fairly simple language to learn due to there’s no sex preference, for example ‘Dia’ would mean he/she.

Where on this site could I ask if anyone else is learning Indonesian? Or, should I try as Aj below suggested on Australian websites perhaps
Reply 12
Original post by ajj2000
Try Australian sites as it is much more common for people there to learn Indonesian.

Do you have some recommendations. I wouldn’t know where to start?
Reply 13
Do you have some recommendations. I wouldn’t know where to start?

Perhaps search for an Australian students forum?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending