The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Schizophrenia wasn't too bad, bit of a sod that they divided the question up like that though to confuse us.

Socially sensitive research was okay but that topic is bull and actually quite irrelevant to psychology in myopinion.

The approaches question seemed okay but turned into a bit of a disaster because I got my timing wrong and didn't even get onto part D. My part C rocked though I just did a social learning experiment and got one group to view a white water rafter getting respect and admiration, and the other group to view the same video but instead he kept getting called an anorack and a saddo. Managed to get a hypothesis in and mention the IV and DV too.
I found the first part of schizophrenia really easy and I finished it in 15 mins so don't know if thats a good or bad sign.
All that time spent learning the biological approach wasn't needed lol. Well, thats life!
Reply 22
Clarence
I think i flopped in psychologcal explanations in schizophrenia - i didn't really know any strong facts. I kind of rambled..
i just completely forgot stuff. So went off on one about an overactive superego and being anal retentive, overactive defense mechanisms. Complete rubbish! I found I was repeating myself throughtout the exam, I kept talking about psychodynamic.

The socially sensitive research one was a bit weird, there really isnt that much in the text book about it, but I hope I got an A in that.

I did the dangerous holidays. I found that my part B wasn't related to the Q at all so I had to add in random links to the Q :rolleyes:

Should have an A in that, and overall. waheyyy :party:
Reply 23
miss_giggles
I found the first part of schizophrenia really easy and I finished it in 15 mins so don't know if thats a good or bad sign.
All that time spent learning the biological approach wasn't needed lol. Well, thats life!
well in the second part, i mainly talked about all the evidence for the biological approach, thus showing that it wasnt purely psychological... in comparison, I found the first part harder and just made up stuff
Reply 24
I thought it was quite hard. My question spotting skills were spot on (again!) but the way they asked the q's was hard and I found it hard to shape my material. But I revised everything I could - my problem wasnt not knowing what to write, because I revised as much as I had to revise from, it was just shaping my answers correctly and writing the right commentry. I tried to blab. I hope I did okay.

At least its over now :smile:

Em xxxx
Reply 25
Saffie
well in the second part, i mainly talked about all the evidence for the biological approach, thus showing that it wasnt purely psychological... in comparison, I found the first part harder and just made up stuff

yeah same for part b, then i wrote about the diathesis stress. i didnt know what else to do for the second half! i found the first half ok xxx
Reply 26
twas ok .. approaches catch me out as usual .. lol .. done q8 ..

the cultural bias was a bit off but okish .. i hope

treatments - behavioural .. should be ok
Reply 27
OMG I HATED THAT PAPER!!!!!!!! (except for approaches!:biggrin:)

shiz was ok - just to make sure part a) psychological explanations obviously - I talked about 3 explanations, but part b) was that were you gotta talk about biological? (I only managed two - genetics and brain structure! didn't have time for dopamine arghh!!) but in terms of what psychological lacks!!???

CULTURAL BIAS - I FAILED !!!! OMFG!!! I revised this the other day, for the 10 mark question I went blank!!!!!!! I wrote about ainsworth and bell, and banduras secure attatchment?? :confused: did he even do that??? I so failed that wrote literally a pargraph. The 15 mark I done first, which was better, but not great, I talked about Kohlberg, Moghaddam (except I wrote his name as MADDATH!:confused: no clue where that came from!:mad:)and Takano & Osaka!! I could of used Kohlbergs in part b) But I didnt think!!:frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:

Approaches - just fantastic (let's not jinx it but yeh!), did question 8! - psychodynamic and behavioural and behavioural for the rest of it!
Saffie
i just completely forgot stuff. So went off on one about an overactive superego and being anal retentive, overactive defense mechanisms. Complete rubbish! I found I was repeating myself throughtout the exam, I kept talking about psychodynamic.

The socially sensitive research one was a bit weird, there really isnt that much in the text book about it, but I hope I got an A in that.

I did the dangerous holidays. I found that my part B wasn't related to the Q at all so I had to add in random links to the Q :rolleyes:

Should have an A in that, and overall. waheyyy :party:

dont want to blow your party but talking about anal retentive, and defence mechanisms is not linked to schizophrenia!
In part b) for schizophrenia I did mainly evaluation points for the psychological explanations relating them to why it can or can't explain all behaviour. Starting to think I didn't do very well on this. I only did a paragraph on biological
Reply 30
I thought the exam was ok. I saw socially sensitive research through the front page though and like panicked lol. But yeah was ok, schizophrenia Q was alright except I didn't know whether to evaluate in the first part, so did a little bit just in case. In part 2, I went through psychodynamic and behavioural and then just criticised the hell out of em with bio examples (I ran out of time so fast so just had to kinda do point after point and little description).

Culture bias was ok too, cept breaking it down meant I was spread thin and so had difficultly linking it all cause I'd revised one huge model essay where paragraphs lead on from one another. Hopefully did alright though

Approaches was just a joke though, I did the holiday one. Was so random and my explanations were quite lame. And my study idea! - reinforcement study seeing if they're more prone to learning than a control group - WTF lol I only realised how bad it was after I'd wrote it! Never mind eh, I wrote quite a lot on the other sections so hopefully I'll kinda balance out well
it seemed obvious that they clearly wanted an evaluation in part b.) of schizophrenics which would mean talking about the biological side of it surely
for the second part of schiz wat were we ment to write about? i totally got confused. i ended up evaluating each theory and saying stuff like this 1 is oversimplified and its reductionist, ignores bio factors like genetics and does not displaY a full account of schiz..

was that ok or shud it have involed other stuff more?

the cultural q was hard. it said STUDIES so i ended up doing 1 theory and one study lol. oh and for part a) i wrote alpha and beta but described them was explanations for ethno and eurocentrism. i dno how i got mixed up between those !

i have no idiea howive done. i need an average of around 17 per essay atleast though. dont know :s-smilie:
Reply 33
i thought schizophrenia was great but issues was a wee bit cruel, i was a bit stumped but did my best.
Approaches really was best i ever seen.
For adventure i spoke about adrnaline etc and high dopamine causing an addiction therefore wanting to repeat behaviour
Reply 34
Yeah i talked about the biological explanations. I am feeling better now. Muchos better.
did treatments - behavioural which was pretty lurvely nice question! although i over allocated my time to it.

culture was WEIRD. didnt have a 'definition' as such for cultural bias but the research bit was fine; did kohlberg and sagi's research on strange situation.
part c was odd though...so just talked bout emic-etic, ethnocentricity, and the trobriand (sp?) research. not great but ok.

and the approaches was pretty gd - did adventurous holidays. did sublimation of the thanatos for that. and behavioural for part a obv.
Yeh, I talked about the biological explanations for schizophrenia in part b but I may have gone into too much detail..
Reply 37
Schizophrenia- good question as i knew schizophrenia most!

SSR- hated that....god i made some stuff up. had no idea what to write. i knew some points, so accidently brought in a bit from animals and a bit from sociology! its all the same subject!

Approaches- went ok. nearly ran out of time though!

Hoping...well praying for an A so i can go to Leeds!
Reply 38
I had too much time left. I started to doodle on the question paper....i managed to roughly score what i needed/got out of all my exams. Maths and Psychology. Ha ha.
Reply 39
You had time left!!!

How?! I couldn't finish part c) of the cultural bias question...ran outta time!

Latest

Trending

Trending