The Student Room Group

I hate the Tories!!(general annoyances about close minded people)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by drbluebox
I really do mean that, I come from a poor but hard working family in the sense my dad was in intensive care 30 years ago and has been unable to work ever since and there was times after that where my whole family would eat out of a tin of beans and we had no carpets and me and my brother slept on a mattress on the floor and my parents on bare floor.

My dad tried hard to find basic work and my mum could not find work to support whole family so did volunteer work to put something back but constantly even before ATOS the benefit people tried stopping his benefits at many times saying they thought he was fit for work despite being in so much pain he cannot walk that far, even sitting down is painful

Anyway during the last big elections I saw the Tories blame the state of the country on immigrants and benefit claimants, their attitude is that jobs are everywhere and easy to come by, this is only true in certain parts of the UK and in other parts high unemployment exists.

I remember a few years ago just before my dad retired, having an argument with someone who said my parents were by default lazy as they were on benefits and when I mentioned they did charity work I was told if they can do charity work why not paid work and when I said would you say they were lazy despite doing hard charity work compared to a paid employee who would stand about and do not work I was told at least the paid person pays tax!!

A few years ago I was living in a £50 a week bedsit and on benefits they paid that and I was left with £40 to buy food and pay council tax and bills each week then got a job when I was left with £20 a week after paying rent before food and had higher council tax to pay!

Typical Tories twist things so that if you are better off on benefits it means benefits are too high and not that wages are bad.

Also I just watched a party political broadcast on BBC SCOTLAND!! that had no Scottish members of public and talked about how they lowered crime in London, Birmingham and Manchester, wow that really affects Scotland.

And now they want to cut benefits for under 25s! If they had their own way the entire lower class population would live in caves and fend for themselves just so they did not spend a penny of their own money.

What does other people think?

This makes me feel so sad and even more angry with the tories. I agree with you whole heartedly. People can be so ignorant, they do not think situations like this exist. They live in a bubble. And I'm Welsh, the Tories do not care about is in the slightest. They only care about London and the South East.
(edited 10 years ago)
I really do mean that, I come from a poor but hard working family in the sense my dad was in intensive care 30 years ago and has been unable to work ever since and there was times after that where my whole family would eat out of a tin of beans and we had no carpets and me and my brother slept on a mattress on the floor and my parents on bare floor.

My dad tried hard to find basic work and my mum could not find work to support whole family so did volunteer work to put something back but constantly even before ATOS the benefit people tried stopping his benefits at many times saying they thought he was fit for work despite being in so much pain he cannot walk that far, even sitting down is painful

Anyway during the last big elections I saw the Tories blame the state of the country on immigrants and benefit claimants, their attitude is that jobs are everywhere and easy to come by, this is only true in certain parts of the UK and in other parts high unemployment exists.

I remember a few years ago just before my dad retired, having an argument with someone who said my parents were by default lazy as they were on benefits and when I mentioned they did charity work I was told if they can do charity work why not paid work and when I said would you say they were lazy despite doing hard charity work compared to a paid employee who would stand about and do not work I was told at least the paid person pays tax!!

A few years ago I was living in a £50 a week bedsit and on benefits they paid that and I was left with £40 to buy food and pay council tax and bills each week then got a job when I was left with £20 a week after paying rent before food and had higher council tax to pay!

Typical Tories twist things so that if you are better off on benefits it means benefits are too high and not that wages are bad.

Also I just watched a party political broadcast on BBC SCOTLAND!! that had no Scottish members of public and talked about how they lowered crime in London, Birmingham and Manchester, wow that really affects Scotland.

And now they want to cut benefits for under 25s! If they had their own way the entire lower class population would live in caves and fend for themselves just so they did not spend a penny of their own money.

Something in your post just doesn't ring true. I think it's an act if fiction, or misleading at best.
Original post by ckingalt

I share these particular views you describe as belonging to the tories in regards to social welfare and those on benefits. My honest retort is that I don't believe your story to be completely true. Even if it is true, then I believe it to be a rare exception. Who actually needs help, if they deserve it, and how much they require is a subjective question. Statistics don't provide the subjective analysis required. So I depend more on my personal anecdotal experience to base much of this opinion on.

I have not lived a sheltered life by any means. In the developed world I have never met someone who was truly hungry without some means of obtaining a meal being available to them. I have never experienced a case of homelessness that was not due to deliberate behavior to reject assistance. I have met very few who were truly so ill or handicapped that they were unable to work. The ones who were that disabled were taken care of. I have encountered many of whom habitually behave in a destructive manner. I have met many of whom I assess to be lazy or unmotivated. I am judgmental towards those people and I resent them.

The only one's I feel sorry for are the children who truly are faultless for any hardships their lives must endure. I don't know how to help them. In most cases enabling their addicted, destructive, incompetent parents will do little if anything to alleviate the children's suffering. I completely support improving their educational opportunities by every reasonable means available.

I share my views without shame because that is how I truly see the world.

Maybe those people could work. But where are the jobs? It is not laziness, it is structural unemployment. It is an inevitable consequence of the knowledge/service economy that has driven the boom of the last three decades. The structurally unemployed should be provided for, because the only other option is genocide. And giving money is better than giving aid because it allows the person to take personal responsibility (or lack thereof). That is human dignity which all of us deserve.

The only area where I might support benefit cuts is child benefit. An irresponsible spender is one thing, an irresponsible spender who multiplies himself is quite another.

In all other areas, benefits - as well as wages - need to be raised by about 50%.
Reply 43
Original post by scrotgrot
Maybe those people could work. But where are the jobs? It is not laziness, it is structural unemployment. It is an inevitable consequence of the knowledge/service economy that has driven the boom of the last three decades. The structurally unemployed should be provided for, because the only other option is genocide. And giving money is better than giving aid because it allows the person to take personal responsibility (or lack thereof). That is human dignity which all of us deserve.

The only area where I might support benefit cuts is child benefit. An irresponsible spender is one thing, an irresponsible spender who multiplies himself is quite another.

In all other areas, benefits - as well as wages - need to be raised by about 50%.

Coming from a background of poverty I firmly believe that throwing money at the problem is not the answer, infact this one of the reasons I don't vote Labour as it completely misses the point.

You say there are no jobs (there may not be in your area) but even taking out workfare there are 400,000 jobs created each year, there may well be competition for them but I've had no problem finding part time jobs which still offer me more than welfare (you simply have to adjust your standard of living).

The way to get people out of poverty is for them to develop a career and be aspirational, the biggest problem we have however was exemplified in your response as it is indicative of the many people who have given up and no longer hold aspirations to better themselves. I have first hand experience of this myself as my parents and sister have no ambition and have consigned themselves to their fate while I (the beaken of Tory Blue in a sea of communist green) am extremely ambitious and have no doubt at all that not only will escape poverty but that I can better the average. Why, because for all my faults I am aspirational and driven but that is sadly something which many people in poverty have lost.
Reply 44
Original post by MatureStudent36
Something in your post just doesn't ring true. I think it's an act if fiction.

:rofl: Thats rich coming from you. What could possibly motivate them to be so deceitful?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
Coming from a background of poverty I firmly believe that throwing money at the problem is not the answer, infact this one of the reasons I don't vote Labour as it completely misses the point.

Nobody is throwing money at benefit claimants. Benefits are very low and wages are also very low. What people are throwing money at is ridiculous campaigns, projects and corrupt external companies to persecute those on benefits, and they are also throwing money at the expensive fallout when someone gets evicted from their home, say.

In reality, we can afford benefits. No Treasury money has ever been contributed to paying out benefits, so other public services do not suffer from their existence. Aside from pensions, the only big expenditure is housing benefit, but what can you do when the middle classes will insist on selling each other the same houses over and over again at ever-inflating prices?

Certainly we can afford benefits a lot more than we can afford the fallout from suppressing them, not only what I've described above but also things like crime and the "trickle-up" effect where the supply of low-wage workers and workfare slaves mean your salary will go down as well.

You say there are no jobs (there may not be in your area) but even taking out workfare there are 400,000 jobs created each year, there may well be competition for them but I've had no problem finding part time jobs which still offer me more than welfare (you simply have to adjust your standard of living).

Why would 400,000 jobs magically appear out of thin air every year? Those 400,000 jobs are most probably balanced out by 400,000 people who got fired or got their hours reduced. And if you look on any job search website you will see loads of duplicate adverts and obvious scams, so no doubt this figure is way too high. Think, for Christ's sake.

Also please stop calling it welfare, we aren't Americans and we don't want to become as barbaric as them with their food stamps and health insurance. It's called social security.

The way to get people out of poverty is for them to develop a career and be aspirational, the biggest problem we have however was exemplified in your response as it is indicative of the many people who have given up and no longer hold aspirations to better themselves. I have first hand experience of this myself as my parents and sister have no ambition and have consigned themselves to their fate while I (the beaken of Tory Blue in a sea of communist green) am extremely ambitious and have no doubt at all that not only will escape poverty but that I can better the average. Why, because for all my faults I am aspirational and driven but that is sadly something which many people in poverty have lost.

You really think everyone can "aspire" to a better job? Not everyone can get a cushy middle management number, you do need some people to actually do the work. Also, it's rather hard to "aspire" to anything when you are turning to food banks to keep yourself alive, being shunted between B&B's, constantly having appliances break and getting into spiralling debts with Wonga just so you can heat your home.

All that guff you just wrote about aspiration shows how hopelessly out of touch you are with what's going on in the real world.
(edited 10 years ago)

If you read the details of the plan, they want people under 25 to either be in work or education, rather than getting jobseeker's. That would mean they'd still get money, but if they couldn't find a job they'd have to go into some form of training.

You also seem unclear on who the tories are. When, 'a few years ago' you were in the situation of being on benefits, who was the Government, because, taking a few to mean 3 or more, you were probably at the point furthest from a Tory government the UK has seen in centuries. Perhaps you should question why 13 years of Labour left you in a crap situation rather than blaming the tories for your problems.
Reply 47
Original post by chrisawhitmore
If you read the details of the plan, they want people under 25 to either be in work or education, rather than getting jobseeker's. That would mean they'd still get money, but if they couldn't find a job they'd have to go into some form of training.

Where does it say they will start giving under 25s money to be in education?
Original post by MostUncivilised
Thanks for telling your story, I couldn't agree more. It's because of the situation that you've described that I'm a member of the Labour Party.

Personally, I can't imagine how tough it is for someone whose parents have had the misfortune to have had bad health or some kind of accident; the idea that they should be punished even more simply for being on benefits is both bizarre and exceptionally cruel.

I thank my lucky stars long and often that I happened to be born into an upper-middle class family, to have gone to private schools and know that I'll never have to worry about money, to have the social capital and connections that goes along with that.

From my perspective, I believe that society has a debt of honour to the unemployed, the disabled, the unwell, single parents etc to ensure that they don't ever have to worry about if they will have a roof over their head, or where their next meal will come from. I'm not talking about anything lavish, but simply being able to live in frugal comfort, with adequate clothing, heating, food, education and support.

It's a scandal and a mystery that some people are comfortable with the status quo, and seem to want to be all stick and no carrot to society's most vulnerable individuals. I hate the Tory Party for appealing to the basest emotions and prejudices of society; there are indvidual Tory voters who I like, but I cannot see the party and its policies as anything other than totally and utterly immoral.

:rolleyes::stupid:

The Tory's have not been in power in Scotland for 16 years. It is in fact labour/SNP who are the source of this gentleman's problems.
Reply 49

Yes you have summarized it all - this is pretty much the case when voting for any free-marketier party in a Capitalist society. Conservative Party of the UK is a striking example.

I'm definitely voting for Ed Miliband in 2015 hopefully he'll be the 3rd Jewish PM of UK.
Original post by n00
Where does it say they will start giving under 25s money to be in education?

Why does it need to? People are already given maintainance loans for education, why assume they'd stop?
Original post by Yael
Yes you have summarized it all - this is pretty much the case when voting for any free-marketier party in a Capitalist society. Conservative Party of the UK is a striking example.

I'm definitely voting for Ed Miliband in 2015 hopefully he'll be the 3rd Jewish PM of UK.

I swear we've been through this before, but religion of the leader is the stupidest possible reason to elect a governing party, and who was the 2nd?
I really can't believe how out-of-touch some people on this site are. Before I moved to London to go to university (oh, and tuition fees are another reason i hate the Tories - did they REALLY need to allow them to almost triple?), I used to live in an area which had a 52% employment rate. Why was the rate that low? Because there were so few jobs. So many people have lost their jobs and not been able to find new ones, because jobs are being lost faster than they're being created. I know this area isn't the only area in the UK to be in this situation either. So, naturally, people are being forced to go on benefits in order to live, and unfortunately, the under 25s are being hit the hardest, as they have little or no experience, and let's face it, a lot of jobs now require you to have experience in order to apply.

What I think is even worse though is the way they've treated people with disabilities. A neighbour of mine used to work, but his health has slowly deteriorated, and now he's at the point where he often has to be pushed around in a wheelchair. However, despite the fact that his health is, to anyone with half a brain cell, obviously too poor for him to work, he had to fight long and hard to be able to claim any disability benefits in order to support his wife and two daughters (his wife does do a little part time work, but can't find anything full-time, and her paltry wage is nowhere near enough to support all four of them.) What's even worse than his case, is the case of a friend of mine who has Motor Neurone Disease, but has to be tested every year in order to keep receiving his benefits. Hmm, last time I checked, MND was incurable, so how would he have gotten well enough to stop receiving benefits??

I really can't wait for the next elections so we can get to Tories out of power!!
Original post by SophiaKeuning
This makes me feel so sad and even more angry with the tories. I agree with you whole heartedly. People can be so ignorant, they do not think situations like this exist. They live in a bubble. And I'm Welsh, the Tories do not care about is in the slightest. They only care about London and the South East.

Got any evidence for that?

Amazingly the Tory areas seem to thrive economically as Tory areas don't expect the state to spoon feed people everything. Labour areas tend to think that the state is responsible for everything. Do you think maybe, just maybe if you promote a degree of self reliance you'll succeed in life and if you expect somebody else to sort your problems out for you you'll be let down.
I really do mean that, I come from a poor but hard working family in the sense my dad was in intensive care 30 years ago and has been unable to work ever since....

Am I the only one who's confused by the first sentence? Hard working... but been out of work for 30 years.

I am sympathetic to your situation, it's terrible that families should fall on such hard times. I'm not a tory, but I noticed you're from Scotland. The tories in Scotland have had very little presence and I urge you to contact your own representatives by letter and bring up your story with them because they have the power to change situations. Ranting about a political party on a forum does nothing to change the unfortunate situation you and many others are going through.
Reply 55
My problem is that they seem to ignore hard-working but people with huge responsibility (e.g. young carers), like they don't appreciate their efforts, and only suck up to more independent hard working people. I am definitely all for enterprise and individualism, however it would be nice if they could have something to say on people who haven't been as lucky and just want to get on.
Original post by Ripper-Roo
My problem is that they seem to ignore hard-working but people with huge responsibility (e.g. young carers), like they don't appreciate their efforts, and only suck up to more independent hard working people. I am definitely all for enterprise and individualism, however it would be nice if they could have something to say on people who haven't been as lucky and just want to get on.

Well duh, they're not working hard enough and fail as human beings because they clearly aren't aspiring to run their own companies. Wise up, bruv.

Not serious.

Oh wow, I didn't know Westminster was still responsible for crime in Scotland.
Reply 58
Original post by Snagprophet
Oh wow, I didn't know Westminster was still responsible for crime in Scotland.

They're not, but what I think drbluebox meant was Scottish issues are ignored, whilst taking about something that is irrelevant to them (lower rates of crimes in English cities) as it's in another country.

Time for the break up of the United Kingdom.
Original post by Ripper-Roo
They're not, but what I think drbluebox meant was Scottish issues are ignored, whilst taking about something that is irrelevant to them (lower rates of crimes in English cities) as it's in another country.

Time for the break up of the United Kingdom.

Well a UK party political broadcast can't exactly focus on areas which have been devolved to the Scottish Parliament. It's going to talk about where it can actually make changes and improvements.

Scotland. Third regional budget in the UK, higher than the East of and South West England. Has highest level of poverty and equality than either of them despite being more socialist.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending