The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mightyfrog2_10
For a 24 mark question or 12, it's impossible to get an A with just one study. It was probably a model essay for the application section of PSYA4 where you only need to learn about 3 or 4 and use one or two in the exam.
For unit 3 and 4 24 markers you need to have around 5 studies and explain them in quite detail and one or two for IDA's.= around 2and half sides of A4.
You should have a look at some past papers for these two units to get a feel of what they will be like.

5 studies? That seems a little intense. I have 25 essay plans and learning 5 studies for each of them seems a little crazy? I have 2/3 for most of mine. You get marks for general commentary too so you don't need to have that many studies surely?

I have a copy of a friend's exam script which got an A* and for deinviduation, for example, he just evaluated Zimbardo's Stanford Prison study.
Original post by LeaX
5 studies? That seems a little intense. I have 25 essay plans and learning 5 studies for each of them seems a little crazy? I have 2/3 for most of mine. You get marks for general commentary too so you don't need to have that many studies surely?

I have a copy of a friend's exam script which got an A* and for deinviduation, for example, he just evaluated Zimbardo's Stanford Prison study.

Agreed - obviously you do need some studies, but I was under the impression that how you use them is far more important than how many you've got. Much better to have 2 studies and evaluate them in lots of detail than have 5 just for the sake of it and only write a couple of lines for each!
Original post by LeaX

I'm not sure my teacher recommended around 5 for each essay with good commentary ofc and I have 3/4 plus i've seen many A/A* model answers that have 4/5 studies in them but they're not hard to remember. Are you sure your friend only use one study? I remember her saying its impossible to achieve a good grade with just one. :/
(edited 10 years ago)
Does anyone have the June 2013 PSYA4 (unit 4) paper?
Would be much appreciated :smile:
Original post by Hannah196

Papers, Mark schemes uploaded by nm786 here and reports: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=45901344&postcount=322
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Hannah196

I have them but cant upload them as the files too big :frown:
Cheers!
Reply 587
Original post by morewig
I'm contemplating putting ao1/ao2/ida titles at the top of sections of my essay in the exam, like below

A01

information

A02

evaluation

I figure this would make it so much easier for the examiner, and they would be happy that my paper is easier to mark out of the hundreds.

Is this advisable and would I be marked down? I guess it messes with the flow of the essay, but it's just an idea

i wouldn't do that it would probably waste your time to be honest. i think they will be able to tell what is AO1 and what is AO2 by just reading them. it would help though if you stuck to that order of paragraphing
For PSYA4 evaluating therapies do you need to explicitly separate the evaluation into appropriateness and effectiveness?
Original post by LeaX
For PSYA4 evaluating therapies do you need to explicitly separate the evaluation into appropriateness and effectiveness?

The evaluation should always point to one of them two and they go hand in hand - if something isnt appropriate it is rarely truly effective.

Research Methods Book For Psya4
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Mezzy
Hey I'm doing Perception. For this particularly essay what is it you're not sure about?

I was confused at which theories are the most important my book just has so many! Is Bruce and youngs theory the main one and everything else just kind of stems from that like prosopagnosia etc..
Reply 591
so many names and so many studies oh my

do you think the raw marks needed for each grade will be lower this year as we are doing both exams at the same time?
I mean obviously the UMS% will be no different really, but in terms of raw marks?
Reply 592
Does anyone have a link/file for the Examiner's Report of June 2013 PSYA3 & PSYA4?
Reply 593
Original post by kited4
so many names and so many studies oh my

do you think the raw marks needed for each grade will be lower this year as we are doing both exams at the same time?
I mean obviously the UMS% will be no different really, but in terms of raw marks?

I'm being overloaded with biological terms >.<

I think raw marks will be lowered. Some people won't be able to handle the amount of content i suspect. All i can remember is in 2013 exams, for Unit 3 you needed roughly ~16 marks per essay to achieve an A*. Perhaps it will be something like 45 this year max? Cant see it being lowered thaaaat heavily.
Original post by Mephestic
The evaluation should always point to one of them two and they go hand in hand - if something isnt appropriate it is rarely truly effective.

Research Methods Book For Psya4

Ahh I see, thank you! :smile:

Original post by Jkizer
I'm being overloaded with biological terms >.<

I think raw marks will be lowered. Some people won't be able to handle the amount of content i suspect. All i can remember is in 2013 exams, for Unit 3 you needed roughly ~16 marks per essay to achieve an A*. Perhaps it will be something like 45 this year max? Cant see it being lowered thaaaat heavily.

16 for an A*? That news has made my day!! I thought it would be higher than that. Does anyone know if I could still get an A* with 156 UMS (grade B) at AS? Thanks
Reply 595
Original post by LeaX
Ahh I see, thank you! :smile:

16 for an A*? That news has made my day!! I thought it would be higher than that. Does anyone know if I could still get an A* with 156 UMS (grade B) at AS? Thanks

You can as long as your total. Psychology grade at the end is 320+ ums and the A2 units are 90+ ums. So you need at least 164 ums between PSYA3 & 4 to get 320 ums (an A overall) and then making sure that they are both 90+ ums.
Does anyone know how monoamine oxidase A (MAOA) works for the role of genetics in aggression essay? I looked it up on Wikipedia and textbooks and it all says that low levels of MAOA leads to aggression but I thought it would be the opposite?

MAOA is an enzyme which breaks down mono-amine neurotransmitters (which includes serotonin). So surely a low activity would mean less break down of serotonin and therefore higher levels of serotonin in the synapses leading to reduced aggression?

Or is serotonin something that needs to be maintained around a baseline and any extremes (whether that be too high or too low) lead to aggression?

Thank you.

Original post by Mezzy
You can as long as your total. Psychology grade at the end is 320+ ums and the A2 units are 90+ ums. So you need at least 164 ums between PSYA3 & 4 to get 320 ums (an A overall) and then making sure that they are both 90+ ums.

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Mezzy

Original post by LeaX
Does anyone know how monoamine oxidase A (MAOA) works for the role of genetics in aggression essay? I looked it up on Wikipedia and textbooks and it all says that low levels of MAOA leads to aggression but I thought it would be the opposite?

MAOA is an enzyme which breaks down mono-amine neurotransmitters (which includes serotonin). So surely a low activity would mean less break down of serotonin and therefore higher levels of serotonin in the synapses leading to reduced aggression?

Or is serotonin something that needs to be maintained around a baseline and any extremes (whether that be too high or too low) lead to aggression?

Thank you.

You do not need to get 90+ UMS in each paper for example you can get 85 UMS in PSYA4 and 95 UMS in the PSYA4. A2 units have to average 90 UMS each.
Reply 598
Original post by Student296
You do not need to get 90+ UMS in each paper for example you can get 85 UMS in PSYA4 and 95 UMS in the PSYA4. A2 units have to average 90 UMS each.

Really? That means my teacher was wrong. He mentioned that we have to get 90ums in both PSYA3 and PSYa4 to get an A*..
(edited 10 years ago)
Can anyone doing the aggression topic explain to me the whole evolutionary aggression section.
I'm not seeing the reason for using it. It just seems to be stuff like 'cheating makes men angry because they are wasting their resources'.
Don't get the terrorism stuff my teacher brought up either.

Can anyone help?
Explain it like I'm a child

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending