The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheGameOfScience
how many studies are you going to remember for relationship topics and i noticed that within the relationship topic the maintenance of relationships has never come up, i have this weird hunch that it might this year xD

Probably about 4 or 5... it depends on how much I can remember haha :tongue:
I'm not including general criticism/support and IDAs in that though :smile:
Original post by InesAlicia678
Probably about 4 or 5... it depends on how much I can remember haha :tongue:
I'm not including general criticism/support and IDAs in that though :smile:

looooooool aha true, i am going to try to remember 2 studies for each theory and 2 ida's as well, because if you dont include ida you are only limited to 8 out of 16 marks in evaluation, :biggrin: oh yeah we have to aim for 15 marks in each essay minimum for an A in psya3, coz its like 40 marks for a B, so how are you going to revise for it :smile:
Reply 82
For PSYA3 - Relationships, does anyone know whether cuckoldry is relevant to Parental Investment Theory or Sexual Strategies, I'm a bit confused which one it's part of
Original post by lovex
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. :smile:
I always struggle trying to elaborate as I'm used to the sciences were you just make lots of brief points to get marks haha. So would I put IDAs throughout it instead? My teacher has never gone over structuring psychology essays it's something I struggled with lol.

No problem at all :smile:

Yeah I get that :smile: I would suggest ending paragraphs with "this supports/contradicts x theory because.." that way you're making sure you've explained everything you need to. Yeah, IDAs should be used throughout, and you can't get full AO2 marks if it isn't imbedded effectively throughout essays :smile:

Original post by yerrkl
For PSYA3 - Relationships, does anyone know whether cuckoldry is relevant to Parental Investment Theory or Sexual Strategies, I'm a bit confused which one it's part of

More relevant to PI but you could make relevant points to it in sexual selection.
Reply 84
Had another attempt. If anyone could gloss over it and give me advice or a mark for it I'd really appreciate it. Thank you. :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by mynameisntbobk
No problem at all :smile:

Yeah I get that :smile: I would suggest ending paragraphs with "this supports/contradicts x theory because.." that way you're making sure you've explained everything you need to. Yeah, IDAs should be used throughout, and you can't get full AO2 marks if it isn't imbedded effectively throughout essays :smile:

Ohh I see. Thank you. :smile: Do you have any essay plans you always follow or do you just 'go with the flow' when you're in the exam?
Does anyone know what this study means?

Davies (1992) found that addicts explain their behaviour in different ways depending on whom they are with. When in the presence of professionals, they may use the language of addiction e.g their behaviour is out of control and they can't help themselves yet, when with peers, they use a different kind of language that suggests they are exercising preferences that are rational and understandable given the circumstances in which they life. This suggests that the language of addictive behaviour serves an important function for the individual e.g it may serve to absolve them from personal responsibility for their behaviour.

I'm not really sure how they came to that conclusion. I don't understand how using different language helps them get rid of the responsibility.
Reply 86
Is anyone else going for an A*?
I've gotten 1 mark off in all 3 practice essays I've done it's so frustrating. Don't know how to improve

Posted from TSR Mobile
looooooool aha true, i am going to try to remember 2 studies for each theory and 2 ida's as well, because if you dont include ida you are only limited to 8 out of 16 marks in evaluation, :biggrin: oh yeah we have to aim for 15 marks in each essay minimum for an A in psya3, coz its like 40 marks for a B, so how are you going to revise for it :smile:

haha yeah I meant I would revise my IDA's on top of the 4 studies :tongue: besides I find IDA's easiest as when you get the hang of them you kind of do them naturally! We're doing timed essays every week and at the moment I'm just running through topics and selecting relevant info for AO1 and for AO2 and writing it down like a plan as my revision :smile: I know other people in my class find all the possible essays titles from the topic and write those but that wouldn't work for me :tongue:
Original post by lovex
Had another attempt. If anyone could gloss over it and give me advice or a mark for it I'd really appreciate it. Thank you. :smile:

Spoiler

Ohh I see. Thank you. :smile: Do you have any essay plans you always follow or do you just 'go with the flow' when you're in the exam?

AO1: 6
AO2: 14

Definitely a better essay I would say. Your description of the equity theory wasn't as clear or descriptive as it could be, but the gist was understood. Also, your first evaluation point was a bit muddled, I think if you were to include a bit of research such as Lott (in a few words) it would have probably strengthened. E.g. Lott found that women in collectivist societies would do more work and expect less in a relationship.. at least here you could see that sort of cultural dimension.

I don't really use essay plans, I use notes and my textbook, but that's pretty much it. I think I'm going to memorise essays for the exams
Original post by InesAlicia678
haha yeah I meant I would revise my IDA's on top of the 4 studies :tongue: besides I find IDA's easiest as when you get the hang of them you kind of do them naturally! We're doing timed essays every week and at the moment I'm just running through topics and selecting relevant info for AO1 and for AO2 and writing it down like a plan as my revision :smile: I know other people in my class find all the possible essays titles from the topic and write those but that wouldn't work for me :tongue:

loooooooool, thats actually clever! my friend recieved an A in sociology and he did plans exactly like that except he put 2 bullet points about what he'll write and then he waffled for the rest of exam he also evaluated one theory with another so you end up writing a similiar thing but in a different order, but i am not sure if u can evaluate one theory with another in psychology, nevertheless your way of revising actually sounds way more efficient thank you for telling me :smile:
Reply 90
I had an attempt at breakdown of relationships but I don't think it's much good lol. If anyone could look over it I'd appreciate it but don't feel obliged as I've already had previous ones looked at which was incredibly generous and helpful. :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by mynameisntbobk
AO1: 6
AO2: 14

Definitely a better essay I would say. Your description of the equity theory wasn't as clear or descriptive as it could be, but the gist was understood. Also, your first evaluation point was a bit muddled, I think if you were to include a bit of research such as Lott (in a few words) it would have probably strengthened. E.g. Lott found that women in collectivist societies would do more work and expect less in a relationship.. at least here you could see that sort of cultural dimension.

I don't really use essay plans, I use notes and my textbook, but that's pretty much it. I think I'm going to memorise essays for the exams

Thank you so much. I need to go back to my notes and revise all the little studies I think as I keep forgetting them haha.
Original post by lovex
I had an attempt at breakdown of relationships but I don't think it's much good lol. If anyone could look over it I'd appreciate it but don't feel obliged as I've already had previous ones looked at which was incredibly generous and helpful. :smile:

Spoiler

Thank you so much. I need to go back to my notes and revise all the little studies I think as I keep forgetting them haha.

Don't mind reading through it as well :smile:.
AO1: 8
AO2: 9/10

Be careful with social exchange theory, its more for maintenance, though using it to explain breakdown is acceptable if done briefly. Overall, there wasn't enough evaluation at all (of the theory or research), but it wasn't bad the ones you did include. IDAs are used really well :smile:
Reply 92
Original post by lauraaaaa
Does anyone know what this study means?

Davies (1992) found that addicts explain their behaviour in different ways depending on whom they are with. When in the presence of professionals, they may use the language of addiction e.g their behaviour is out of control and they can't help themselves yet, when with peers, they use a different kind of language that suggests they are exercising preferences that are rational and understandable given the circumstances in which they life. This suggests that the language of addictive behaviour serves an important function for the individual e.g it may serve to absolve them from personal responsibility for their behaviour.

I'm not really sure how they came to that conclusion. I don't understand how using different language helps them get rid of the responsibility.

If I said to you "I can't help smoking. I want to stop but I can't" it makes it seem like my addiction to smoking is totally beyond my control and by saying this to you, I am convincing my self and you to believe this is the case. If I, as the study has pointed out other addicts do, actually believe that I cannot control my addictive behaviour, I may go to the conclusion that I can't stop it - it's completely beyond my reach. This will probably lead to me not looking for ways to stop smoking because I simply think I can't control my addiction anyway.

ps i'm not addicted to smoking, nor do I study addiction, but this is how i interpreted it lol.
Original post by AmbarA
If I said to you "I can't help smoking. I want to stop but I can't" it makes it seem like my addiction to smoking is totally beyond my control and by saying this to you, I am convincing my self and you to believe this is the case. If I, as the study has pointed out other addicts do, actually believe that I cannot control my addictive behaviour, I may go to the conclusion that I can't stop it - it's completely beyond my reach. This will probably lead to me not looking for ways to stop smoking because I simply think I can't control my addiction anyway.

ps i'm not addicted to smoking, nor do I study addiction, but this is how i interpreted it lol.

Hm, okay thank you! :smile:
Reply 94
Hey Guys i know a amazing psychology tutor on gumtree based in west london uxbridge area cheap and amazing helped me increase my grade. look her up sadia khan on gumtree psychology tutor
OMG!! thank you sooo much nm786 you sir are a truly a wonderful human being and awesome person!!! :biggrin: thank you so much for the tips and essays :shakehand: xD thank you, thank you :biggrin: do you have any advice for unit 4? :smile:
Reply 96
OMG!! thank you sooo much nm786 you sir are a truly a wonderful human being and awesome person!!! :biggrin: thank you so much for the tips and essays :shakehand: xD thank you, thank you :biggrin: do you have any advice for unit 4? :smile:

i am doing the exact same topics!!! that would help so much thank you:adore:, especially since i will be without a psychology teacher unitil january, do you have any advice for retaining so much information?

No problem. :hat2:

EDIT: Tips and links moved to post 16
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 97
Original post by nm786
I retained the information by starting early and reading each essay over and over and then reciting all the main points and studies. It took a long time but it worked for me. Try anything that works for you.

For unit 4 just do lots of past papers!

No problem, as promised I have now uploaded all the potential 24 mark essays on Relationships, Aggression and Eating Behaviour.

In the document:
-the grade that was given for each essay is top right hand corner.
-The main A01 points are underlined.
-All the researchers names are in Blue
-IDA points are in green.

some tips:

-Make sure your A01 is concise
-Do not start your A02 points with a researcher's name, they will mark it as A01! make sure you start your A02 points with e.g. 'There is research to support..., for example .... found'
-Make sure you have 1/3 A01 and about 2/3 A02.
-Make sure you have IDA points!
-SLT and deindividuation are not reductionist!
-Always refer back to what you said in your A01
-wherever the word and is on the spec that means you could be asked two seperate 24 mark questions e.g. 'neural and hormonal explanations of aggression' you could be asked to discuss neural explanation of aggression (24 marks) and to discuss hormonal explanations of aggression (24 marks)
-make sure you are ready for 4 mark, 8 mark, 12 mark and 24 mark question for each essay.

and finally:

Spoiler

thank you so much, you're amazing!
Reply 98
Original post by nm786
I retained the information by starting early and reading each essay over and over and then reciting all the main points and studies. It took a long time but it worked for me. Try anything that works for you.

For unit 4 just do lots of past papers!

No problem, as promised I have now uploaded all my 24 mark essays on Relationships, Aggression and Eating Behaviour.

In the document:
-the grade that was given for each essay is in top right hand corner.
-Main A01 points are underlined.
-All the researchers names are in Blue
-IDA points are in green.

some tips:

-Make sure your A01 is concise
-Do not start your A02 points with a researcher's name, they will mark it as A01! make sure you start your A02 points with e.g. 'There is research to support..., for example .... found'
-Make sure you have 1/3 A01 and about 2/3 A02.
-Make sure you have IDA points!
-SLT and deindividuation are not reductionist!
-It is not acceptable to argue that an explanation is reductionist because it ignores other explanations!
-Always refer back to what you said in your A01
-wherever the word 'including' is on the spec that means you could be asked two seperate 24 mark questions e.g. ‘Biological explanations of AN, including neural and evolutionary explanations’ you could be asked to:

Describe and evaluate biological explanations of one eating disorder. (8 marks + 16 marks)

Describe and evaluate neural explanations of one eating disorder. (8 marks + 16 marks)

Describe and evaluate evolutionary explanations of one eating disorder. (8 marks + 16 marks)

If you are asked about biological explanations then you can used neural explanations and/or evolutionary explanations.
-make sure you are ready for 4 mark, 8 mark, 12 mark and 24 mark question for each essay.

and finally:

Spoiler

To download the document, click this link: http://download1482.mediafire.com/l2m3i833jbrg/2hairlb5rc1dtas/PSYA3+Essays+-+Relationships%2C+Aggression+and+Eating+Behaviour.pdf

Too much love for you right now!
I've been doing really well in essays in class, but we haven't started A3 yet so it'll be nice to get ahead of the game.

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 99
For anyone doing Schizophrenia I have full mark essays (marked by my teacher) if anyone wants them? Probably a bit longer than time would allow for handwriting as I use a laptop but if anyone would like me to post just let me know!

Latest

Trending

Trending