The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Keele applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HarryMWilliams
Hi there - I'm a current Keele student so I'll try and answer these best for you.

1 - I live in Hawthorns currently, which isn't en-suite, but the en-suite rooms themselves are quite nice. They tend to be smaller than the older halls (Hawthorns) and you also tend to share kitchen space/toilets with less people.

2 - The SU is amazing. There is almost always something going on which is super! I haven't gone out off-campus in Newcastle or Stoke, but there is a range of clubs you can go to which some students find suit them better.

3 - I study BioMed so I can't really answer this one.

4 - As 2 really, I absolutely love the SU. It is currently ranked the 5th best SU in the UK. The nights are pretty varied, you can go out to Lockdown or Fl!rt depending on your taste and if the nights themselves aren't to your liking then there are societies (such as KRAP) which always put on events and activities in the evenings.

Can I ask what room type you have? What's it like/how are all the rooms laid out? How many people do you share bathroom/kitchen with? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Original post by lozzvipond
You're physiotherapy right? Me too! And I'm firming as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am yes! Oh awesome! :biggrin: Haven't firmed it yet but I think i will. Just too good a uni!
Original post by RubyMadigan
Im from South Devon. How about you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh Devon is really nice, quite far from Keele though! I live in South London :smile: where else did you apply?
Original post by xlizzaaayx
Ooh Devon is really nice, quite far from Keele though! I live in South London :smile: where else did you apply?

I also applied to reading and swansea. Although I got offers from them both Keele was absolutely number 1 all the way.
What about you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JennyEllen01
Yeah, I'm thinking standard too :smile: The ones at Lindsay were nice and not too expensive - and I think it'll be important to be nearish the union after a night out! :biggrin: I guess I'll have more idea after Saturday :smile:

Hi

You don't get to choose the hall you want to live in only the room type but if you want to live in Lindsay there are ways to increase your chances for example putting 'washbasin band A' as your first choice as most of the lindsay room are band A.

Hope this helped :smile:
Original post by furryface12
Do either of you (or anyone else!) happen to know if we still apply for Keele accommodation if it's our insurance? It seems to vary uni to uni!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi

you still apply for accommodation if you want it but you will be lower on the list from everyone else so its not guaranteed you'll get a room but theres no harm in trying :smile: Keele was my insurance last year and i still got a room on campus :biggrin:
Original post by GSmith19901
I have an offer for pharmacy which I'm most likely to firm, had a few questions though:

1) What's accomodation like? I'm looking for an en-suite room?

2) Any view on nightlife? Heard it was pretty boring which is a bit deterring?

3) Anyone doing pharmacy know what the placements are like? Paid?

4) Is the SU any good? I heard it was ranked high, but how are their nights that they host?

Thanks

Hi

I'm a first year pharmacy student at Keele so I'll try and answer your questions as best I can :smile:

1) Accommodation varies from block to block quite a lot so there isn't a perfect answer to this. When you apply you will only be able to pick room type not the hall. So if you want en suite you will select 'premier en suite' on the application and you will probably end up in lindsay court, holly cross or the oaks which all have en suite rooms. However en suite accommodation is in VERY high demand so you might not get one. I would recommend putting washbasin band A as one of your choices as those room are generally very nice (like mine in Lindsay T block)

2) I don't drink so I can't answer this question

3) In first year placements are not paid I'm not too sure about the other years.

4) Once again can't answer this question sorry!

It won't let me quote you Daydreamer, but thank you! I'll do that then :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Daydreamer <3 xx
Hi

I'm a first year pharmacy student at Keele so I'll try and answer your questions as best I can :smile:

1) Accommodation varies from block to block quite a lot so there isn't a perfect answer to this. When you apply you will only be able to pick room type not the hall. So if you want en suite you will select 'premier en suite' on the application and you will probably end up in lindsay court, holly cross or the oaks which all have en suite rooms. However en suite accommodation is in VERY high demand so you might not get one. I would recommend putting washbasin band A as one of your choices as those room are generally very nice (like mine in Lindsay T block)

How many people do you share a bathroom/kitchen with? Thanks :smile:
Hi

You don't get to choose the hall you want to live in only the room type but if you want to live in Lindsay there are ways to increase your chances for example putting 'washbasin band A' as your first choice as most of the lindsay room are band A.

Hiya,

Thank you! :smile: I've actually done my accommodation form now and it was much less daunting than I was expecting. Hopefully it'll be "washbasin band A" for me come September! :smile:
Reply 390
Hey guys!

I've applied for premier en-auite as my first choice for accommodation is it likely that i'll be put at Liberty Court? Really don't want to go there at all! but I have premier flat as my second choice..

Btw I'm studying psychology and Media anybody else?
Original post by furryface12
It won't let me quote you Daydreamer, but thank you! I'll do that then :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem :smile: hope you get a room :biggrin:
How many people do you share a bathroom/kitchen with? Thanks :smile:

If you search for floor plans on the keele university website you should be able to find maps of each building (except lindsay court i'm not sure why?) for example here are all the lindsay blocks

http://www.keele.ac.uk/peeps/accommodationfloorplans/lindsayhallfloorplans/

Im in Lindsay T block on the top floor so theres 13 people to each kitchen and 12 to each bathroom (6 kitchens and 6 bathrooms in the entire block and i think 6 rooms are standard en suite) which isn't too bad so long as they all keep the area clean.

My friend is in Lindsay E block for her its 24 to a kitchen but the kitchen is double the size of my one and 8 to a bathroom. (2 kitchens in the whole block and 6 bathrooms)

In holly cross, oaks and Lindsay court(my room next year is in lindsay court) its 8 to a kitchen which is smaller than our one and everyone has their own bathroom.

I haven't been to any other block so i'm not sure about the rest. As I've said before theres no perfect answer all the block are different sizes, shapes, have different numbers of rooms, etc

I would still recommend a band A room because they've been refurbished recently and are in the nicest blocks. Hopefully you'll get the en suite that you want but its very unlikely you can still try and put it as your first choice though.

Hope this helped :smile: any more questions don't hesitate to ask :biggrin:
Original post by JennyEllen01
Hiya,

Thank you! :smile: I've actually done my accommodation form now and it was much less daunting than I was expecting. Hopefully it'll be "washbasin band A" for me come September! :smile:

Good luck!! :biggrin:

anymore questions don't hesitate to ask :smile: I'm a first year pharmacy student at keele
If you search for floor plans on the keele university website you should be able to find maps of each building (except lindsay court i'm not sure why?) for example here are all the lindsay blocks

http://www.keele.ac.uk/peeps/accommodationfloorplans/lindsayhallfloorplans/

Im in Lindsay T block on the top floor so theres 13 people to each kitchen and 12 to each bathroom (6 kitchens and 6 bathrooms in the entire block and i think 6 rooms are standard en suite) which isn't too bad so long as they all keep the area clean.

My friend is in Lindsay E block for her its 24 to a kitchen but the kitchen is double the size of my one and 8 to a bathroom. (2 kitchens in the whole block and 6 bathrooms)

In holly cross, oaks and Lindsay court(my room next year is in lindsay court) its 8 to a kitchen which is smaller than our one and everyone has their own bathroom.

I haven't been to any other block so i'm not sure about the rest. As I've said before theres no perfect answer all the block are different sizes, shapes, have different numbers of rooms, etc

I would still recommend a band A room because they've been refurbished recently and are in the nicest blocks. Hopefully you'll get the en suite that you want but its very unlikely you can still try and put it as your first choice though.

Hope this helped :smile: any more questions don't hesitate to ask :biggrin:

I can't view the floor plans for some reason :frown: I'm not going for en suite, so I'm trying to decide between putting your type of room or the shared flat as my first choice. I'm trying to weigh up less people per kitchen vs. living with/meeting more people.

Do you just have one fridge between 13 of you or a couple? I have a friend who goes to York and shares with 14 people, but there's two of everything in the kitchen so it's more like 7 which is okay.

Also are the shower and toilet in the same room? Do you ever have to wait to use them? Thanks!
I can't view the floor plans for some reason :frown: I'm not going for en suite, so I'm trying to decide between putting your type of room or the shared flat as my first choice. I'm trying to weigh up less people per kitchen vs. living with/meeting more people.

Do you just have one fridge between 13 of you or a couple? I have a friend who goes to York and shares with 14 people, but there's two of everything in the kitchen so it's more like 7 which is okay.

Also are the shower and toilet in the same room? Do you ever have to wait to use them? Thanks!

Sorry about the link. if you go to the keele website and write 'lindsay hall floor plans' in the search box it should come up.

In our kitchen theres two fridge/freezers (so everyone gets half a shelf), two cookers, one sink and 13 cupboards. So everyone has their own space and honestly you don't have to worry about crowding while cooking people eat and cook at different times. and theres never more than 4 or 5 people in at a time.

same for the bathroom in our block theres an unwritten rule that if theres someone in the toilet the other people wait till they leave lol (you don't have to do this but for some reason everyone in my section does haha) and no theres no waiting for showers because people shower at different times some in the morning, some in the evening, some in the afternoon, some at 2am like me haha

and yh the showers and toilets are in the same room

if you're worried about mess you can put up post-it notes in the kitchen so everyone is reminded to clean up. one of my neighbours puts one up daily lol but our kitchen isn't that bad

overall crowding is not a real issue (at least not in my block but i don't think the others have much problem either) so i would recommend putting washbasin band A you can meet more people, the rooms are nicer and it'll be more fun!

Also some of the flats are in hawthorns! which will mean a 15 minute walk to campus every day

hope this helped!
Sorry about the link. if you go to the keele website and write 'lindsay hall floor plans' in the search box it should come up.

In our kitchen theres two fridge/freezers (so everyone gets half a shelf), two cookers, one sink and 13 cupboards. So everyone has their own space and honestly you don't have to worry about crowding while cooking people eat and cook at different times. and theres never more than 4 or 5 people in at a time.

same for the bathroom in our block theres an unwritten rule that if theres someone in the toilet the other people wait till they leave lol (you don't have to do this but for some reason everyone in my section does haha) and no theres no waiting for showers because people shower at different times some in the morning, some in the evening, some in the afternoon, some at 2am like me haha

and yh the showers and toilets are in the same room

if you're worried about mess you can put up post-it notes in the kitchen so everyone is reminded to clean up. one of my neighbours puts one up daily lol but our kitchen isn't that bad

overall crowding is not a real issue (at least not in my block but i don't think the others have much problem either) so i would recommend putting washbasin band A you can meet more people, the rooms are nicer and it'll be more fun!

Also some of the flats are in hawthorns! which will mean a 15 minute walk to campus every day

hope this helped!

Thanks so much, this has really helped! :smile:
Thanks so much, this has really helped! :smile:

You're welcome :smile:

Any more questions don't hesitate to ask :biggrin: I'm a first year pharmacy student at keele
x

I have a standard room with a washbasin in. It's fairly big, which is primarily down to the fact I live in the older halls which are typically bigger. Standard rooms tend to have single beds, a wardrobe, sink/basin and a desk, thats about it.

I share a kitchen with 28 other people (theres 29 of us in the block), but, we have three ovens, six fridge/freezers so it's not that bad and not everyone eats/cooks at the same time - I'm yet to wait to use something. We have roughly a 50/50 split of girls and boys and there are two bathrooms (1 shower, 1 bath, 2 toilets) so sharing those facilities aren't that bad either.
(edited 10 years ago)
I got a conditional for both Geology and physical geography and Geoscience, both at masters level :smile: Think If I picked Keele as firm though I'll go with MGeoscience :biggrin: Really really close to picking as my firm as I went to two open days and loved it, but dread clicking the button on UCAS making it my firm xD Im not bothered about the en-suite rooms but could anyway suggest what they think is better? Hawthorns or Lindsay halls? I saw both of them including the rooms, kitchen (hawthorns only) and bathrooms but never got a good look around was pushed out by our tour group xD And also this might sound like a stupid question but is a sink worth it for £10 extra a week? That seems quite overpriced to me although the accommodation prices are great :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest