The Student Room Group

Any Smiths/Morrissey fans?

Hey hey,

I'm new here.

wondering if there is anyone like me :smile:)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by SarahJaneEyre
Hey hey,

I'm new here.

I'm not, but welcome to TSR anyway :smile:
Reply 2
Huge Smiths fan here. Cannot wait for Moz's autobiography on Thursday. What are your favourite songs?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Mackay
Huge Smiths fan here. Cannot wait for Moz's autobiography on Thursday. What are your favourite songs?

I love them all and if changes all the time but;
Is it really so strange?
Meat is murder
I want the one I can't have

You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I love them all and if changes all the time but;
Is it really so strange?
Meat is murder
I want the one I can't have

You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rubber Ring, Girlfriend In A Coma, I Know It's Over and Cemetery Gates I think.

I'm sat waiting for the postman to arrive with my copy of his autobiography! So excited.
Looking forward me to reading Morrissey's autobiography.
Reply 7
There's probably a million on here. Unite and takeover.
Reply 8
Original post by barnetlad
Looking forward me to reading Morrissey's autobiography.

I finished it this weekend. Let me know what you think of it!
(edited 9 years ago)
Absolutely love The Smiths and Morrissey! Saw Morrissey at Glastonbury 2011 and then Marr at this years Glastonbury, wonderful stuff. Favourite Smiths song is easily The Headmaster Ritual.
it's taken me so long to detach morrissey's obnoxious personality from his music.
Me! :biggrin: Although I have to admit that Morrissey is a prat despite how much I love his music. Went to see Johnny Marr last year though, he was fantastic :biggrin: Don't really have a favourite Smiths song :smile:
Reply 13
That Joke Isn't Funny Any More is their best.
Johnny Marr's solo stuff all the way.
Reply 15
Hey hey,

I'm new here.

I passionately adore The Smiths, you will think I am overstating the point unless you've been through it but they truly saved my life. Although Dylan is my go to guy now (unlike The Smiths his catalog is almost endless) and I love him more than I have ever loved anyone that I will never meet, I will always hold a special place in my heart for The Smiths.

Oh and I adore anyone that likes The Smiths, so if you ever want to talk about The Smiths or anything I am forever here.

Heh, I know every single Smiths lyric off by heart. I'm like Dot Cotton with her bible.

But I don't have a single favorite song, obviously There is a Light is one of the best songs of all time (second only to Mr Tambourine Man in my mind), but I love the all.

The Hand That Rocks The Cradle is amazingly beautiful. "For you are all that matters and I love you till the day I die", that bit hits me every time :smile:

And Reel Around The Fountain, it takes me back to a dark place... but when he sings "I dreamt about you last night" on The Smiths album version... well that makes my knees melt.

And when he says "And now 18 months hard labor seems......................... fair enough", well that is one of the ultimate Smiths moments.

And the lyrics to Vicar in a Tutu, I mean that is poetry, weird poetry but that is poetry... "My man get your vile soul dry cleaned" Damn I always liked that lyric.

And once I was walking along listening to them in York, and there was this lyric, and I must know it... but it was AMAZING, and it must have always gone over my head a bit, but it was amazing, and I just cannot find that line anywhere. But it was amazing.

And the line "What she asked of me at the end of the day, Caligula would have blushed", that is one of Morrissey's best lyrics. And the line "Each household appliance is like a new science in my town", I always loved that, just sums up the philistines in my town.

And the bass line in Barbarism Begins at Home. That is THE best baseline ever! And I can play it :smile:

And 'Well I Wonder' so so so romantic. "Well I wonder, do you hear when you sleep, I hoarsely cry. Well I wonder, do you see me when we pass, I half die. Please keep me in mind". I mean wow.

And now i'll shut up because i'm rambling.

But my favorite Smiths moment ever...

"A heartless hand on my shoulder
A push and it's over
Alabaster crashes down
Six months is a long time
I tried living in the real world
Instead of a shell
But before I began...
I was bored before I even began"

I LOVE that. I... LOVE... it.

I love Morrissey, he's a rebel, there's as much punk to him as there was in the Pistols, but he could write the most spectacular lyrics.

I don't mean to ramble but I must speak frankly.

Don't get me started on his solo stuff. So many forgotten gems, Lost, Jack The Ripper (AMAZING song), Break Up the Family (SPECTACULAR song), Life is a Pigsty (MINDBLOWING).

I love The Smiths.
I now have Morrissey's autobiography to read. An inspiration to many and a man for whom the word unique is very true.
Reply 17
Me :smile: 267909_4887646901845_261558686_n.jpg Impossible for me not to be a fan of The Smiths when my mum is Marr and Morrissey's secret love child :tongue:

Also I have been to Salford Lads Club. I felt kinda starstruck standing outside it lol
Anyone listening to Morrissey's new album? Sounds pretty good on a first listen.
Original post by BoyWithTheThorn
Anyone listening to Morrissey's new album? Sounds pretty good on a first listen.

Reviews are mixed, but I am thoroughly enjoying it. I think it's probably his most 'mainstream' pop endeavor in quite some time. The instrumentals are infectious upon first listen and lyrically Moz is as savvy as ever. However, I do agree with some critics criticising some of the lyrics as being "filler" - hence my description of this being a somewhat mainstream endeavor. Particularly enjoying 'Earth Is The Loneliest Planet' and 'Neal Cassady Drops Dead'; utterly bizarre, tbh.

In other news, I have recently decided that 'Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others' is my favourite The Smiths track of all time.

Quick Reply