The Student Room Group

What was your nickname growing up?

For me personally:

'Joey' - I took this as my real name (still do), because my mom called me it since I was literally 6 months old, and never by my real name.

'Baggy bum' - when I was like 3, I still had a nappy on full-time. Nappies stuck out the back of my trousers, and my cousin down south, she called me this for that reason.

'Mackem' - this is the main word to describe an inhabitant of Sunderland, where I was born, I guess it's like Scouser for someone from Liverpool. Anyway, when I visited the cousins down south one time when I was 7, they had some football fan friends there, who knew Sunderland folk as 'Mackems', they called me it, and it stuck with the cousins.

'Soap' - because I apparently looked like the character John 'Soap' McTavish from Call of Duty.

'Soup' - I guess a corrupted form of Soap above

'Gutty' - because I allegedly looked like this Newcastle United player called Gutierez

'Tyler' - I was obsessed both with Aerosmith and the movie Fight Club growing up

'Accent Hawk' - I was good at impersonating accents, and I was in a rugby union team called 'The Hawks'

'Bulldog' - once I grew my hair out long, I braided it at one point to look like that of wrestler Davey Boy Smith, otherwise known as the 'British Bulldog'

Edit: added a few more I remembered.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Only ever had contractions of my name(s) or variations on 'big man/big lad'.
Reply 2
Original post by SlashBandicoot
For me personally:

'Joey' - I took this as my real name (still do), because my mom called me it since I was literally 6 months old, and never by my real name.

'Baggy bum' - when I was like 3, I still had a nappy on full-time. Nappies stuck out the back of my trousers, and my cousin down south, she called me this for that reason.

'Mackem' - this is the main word to describe an inhabitant of Sunderland, where I was born, I guess it's like Scouser for someone from Liverpool. Anyway, when I visited the cousins down south one time when I was 7, they had some football fan friends there, who knew Sunderland folk as 'Mackems', they called me it, and it stuck with the cousins.

'Soap' - because I apparently looked like the character John 'Soap' McTavish from Call of Duty.

'Soup' - I guess a corrupted form of Soap above

'Gutty' - because I allegedly looked like this Newcastle United player called Gutierez

'Tyler' - I was obsessed both with Aerosmith and the movie Fight Club growing up

'Accent Hawk' - I was good at impersonating accents, and I was in a rugby union team called 'The Hawks'

'Bulldog' - once I grew my hair out long, I braided it at one point to look like that of wrestler Davey Boy Smith, otherwise known as the 'British Bulldog'

Edit: added a few more I remembered.

Yooo ngl, I had a traumatic childhood where the adults thought it was okay to fat shame a 6 year old, put them in a dark closed room cz they were crying….and to this day, the constant fat shaming, comparing, yelling etc ( mind u…I am not even fat….it’s literally because they never seen big ass boobs b4…sry ).

Anyways, my nickname was….(if u translate it) bendy’….YH that’s hella weird
Numerous versions of my surname, then occasionally Ginger.
Reply 4
half- pint

as a 3 year old I drank a half of my Dads beer while he wasn't looking. the name has stuck to this day.
'Yoshi' due to the fact my actual name is Josh, which can be interpreted as 'Joshie' - thus Yoshi.

'Beardwulf' in reference to Beowulf. I had a beard throughout the majority of secondary school (I hit puberty early).
Mostly people shortening my name to Leesh, as well as Dogleash & other puns on the word 'leash'.
In secondary school I also had the nickname Legs, because I always wore a short skirt with bare legs.

Quick Reply

Latest