The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Aberdeen Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NinetyOne
What's the workload like for first year? And in the first two years does it matter how well you do so long as you pass? (not that I'm not going to work hard, just wondering out of interest). I think I remember being told it's only the final two years that count towards your degree. Also, what's the maximum amount of hours you would recommend working while at uni? I'll be doing Politics & International Relations, and hoping to take Anthropology, Psychology and Geography with it.

Depends how you want to approach your first year, for me, I wanted to ensure my grades were tip top in first year so that I'd have a bit of an upper hand when it comes to finding placements, so I spent a lot of time in the books. I had friends who spent very little time doing much of anything to do with studying who only wanted to pass first year though, so I'd definitely say it depends on your own attitude towards it. The coursework information for each module can be found online though, so I can get all that together for you if you want?

First and second year don't count towards your degree, so all you need is a 9 in each module to pass and you're fine (aberdeen uni have a very different grading system, if you didn't already know). However when it comes to applying for placement throughout uni (if you plan to), most employers will want to know your first and second year grades to predict your final grade. It's worth still doing well.

I work 15 hours a week whilst at uni and I certainly wouldn't recommend going much over that. I do a little bit of volunteering and occasional paid work at uni too, but 15 hours is my standard. It also depends how that fits in to your schedule. Mine is spread over 5 days a week, so I get my weekends completely free. Some of my friends work 8 hour shifts on saturdays and sundays and felt that their grades suffered as a result of that.

My best advice for doing well in first year is to do the prescribed reading prior to the corresponding lecture. It'll make taking notes much easier (not all staff post slides or recording online because they don't believe in it). Also prepare for tutorials, tutorials are only beneficial if you know what is going on. Some tutors will also kick you out of tutorials if you don't prepare, and if you miss more than 75% of tutorials without good reason, you lose your class certificate (the ability to continue the module).

In first year, you'll have 6 extra modules to take (this is specific to your degree, incase anyone else is wondering), so you'll have 3 extra classes to take each semester to meet the required credits.

Hope that helped a bit!
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Original post by GoingToBurst
The coursework information for each module can be found online though, so I can get all that together for you if you want?

Hope that helped a bit!

Thanks that helped a lot!

If you could that we be great! I'm planning on taking:

First Semester Course Choices - Year 1
PI1013: INTRODUCTION TO INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS: HISTORY AND CONCEPTS
PS1009: INTRODUCTORY PSYCHOLOGY I: CONCEPTS AND THEORY
AT1003: INTRODUCTION TO ANTHROPOLOGY: PEOPLES OF THE WORLD
GG1008: GLOBAL WORLDS, GLOBAL CHALLENGES (Geography)

Second Semester Course Choices - Year 1
PI1516: INTRODUCTION TO POLITICAL SCIENCE: BRITISH POLITICS AND THE EU
PS1509: INTRODUCTORY PSYCHOLOGY II: CONCEPTS AND THEORY
AT1502: INTRODUCTION TO ANTHROPOLOGY: QUESTIONS OF DIVERSITY
GG1510: GLOBAL WORLDS, LOCAL CHALLENGES (Geography)
Thanks that helped a lot!

If you could that we be great! I'm planning on taking:

First Semester Course Choices - Year 1
PI1013: INTRODUCTION TO INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS: HISTORY AND CONCEPTS
PS1009: INTRODUCTORY PSYCHOLOGY I: CONCEPTS AND THEORY
AT1003: INTRODUCTION TO ANTHROPOLOGY: PEOPLES OF THE WORLD
GG1008: GLOBAL WORLDS, GLOBAL CHALLENGES (Geography)

Second Semester Course Choices - Year 1
PI1516: INTRODUCTION TO POLITICAL SCIENCE: BRITISH POLITICS AND THE EU
PS1509: INTRODUCTORY PSYCHOLOGY II: CONCEPTS AND THEORY
AT1502: INTRODUCTION TO ANTHROPOLOGY: QUESTIONS OF DIVERSITY
GG1510: GLOBAL WORLDS, LOCAL CHALLENGES (Geography)

These are all subject to change due to varying circumstances at the university, but the current plans for coursework for each of those modules are (I've also included the recommended book for one of your modules, as it was the only one that has released the book for this academic year thus far):

PI1013: 5% online quiz, 10% bibliography test, 25% 1500 word essay, 60% two hour exam

PS1009: 75% multiple choice exam, 25% continuous assessment in workshops

AT1003: 60% 2 hour exam, 40% in course assessment (no further information was given regarding the type of assessment)

GG1008: 100% coursework comprising of a practical, a presentation, an essay and a class test
Book

PI1516: 60% two hour exam, 40% 1500 word essay

PS1509: 75% multiple choice exam, 25% continuous assessment in workshops

AT1502: 60% two hour exam, 40% continuous assessment comprising of 1 book review and 1 essay

GG1510: 50% exam, 50% coursework (no further information was provided regarding the type of coursework)

I hope that helps you out! Once you find out what your PI1013 book is, let me know because I have a copy of the book they used last year, so if it's the same you can have it :smile:. I chose the class and then decided to change to another one after I'd already bought the book haha.

If you need anything else, just give me a shout :smile:.
These are all subject to change due to varying circumstances at the university, but the current plans for coursework for each of those modules are (I've also included the recommended book for one of your modules, as it was the only one that has released the book for this academic year thus far):

PI1013: 5% online quiz, 10% bibliography test, 25% 1500 word essay, 60% two hour exam

PS1009: 75% multiple choice exam, 25% continuous assessment in workshops

AT1003: 60% 2 hour exam, 40% in course assessment (no further information was given regarding the type of assessment)

GG1008: 100% coursework comprising of a practical, a presentation, an essay and a class test
Book

PI1516: 60% two hour exam, 40% 1500 word essay

PS1509: 75% multiple choice exam, 25% continuous assessment in workshops

AT1502: 60% two hour exam, 40% continuous assessment comprising of 1 book review and 1 essay

GG1510: 50% exam, 50% coursework (no further information was provided regarding the type of coursework)

I hope that helps you out! Once you find out what your PI1013 book is, let me know because I have a copy of the book they used last year, so if it's the same you can have it :smile:. I chose the class and then decided to change to another one after I'd already bought the book haha.

If you need anything else, just give me a shout :smile:.

Thank you!

Oooo that's kind of you! How do you find out what the required books are?
Thank you!

Oooo that's kind of you! How do you find out what the required books are?

You're welcome :smile:.

Blackwells publishes reading lists, but only if the course co-ordinator has released it to them. All of the other reading lists will be provided in your course guides which will be made available to you during freshers week. Some course provide paper copies of the course guides, but all of mine have been online :smile:.

Are you looking forward to getting started?
You're welcome :smile:.

Blackwells publishes reading lists, but only if the course co-ordinator has released it to them. All of the other reading lists will be provided in your course guides which will be made available to you during freshers week. Some course provide paper copies of the course guides, but all of mine have been online :smile:.

Are you looking forward to getting started?

Ah I see. I was looking here: http://www.abdn.ac.uk/newstudents/undergraduate/index.php and it shows some of the recommended reading but not sure if it is out-of-date?

And I am very much indeed looking forward to starting! I'm an ever so slightly competitive person so I like to always be one step ahead of everyone else. I was working abroad most of the summer in Belgium working the fields (literally) and saved up a good chunk of money. I've got all the spare time in the world now and just want to get a head start on the readings haha.
Ah I see. I was looking here: http://www.abdn.ac.uk/newstudents/undergraduate/index.php and it shows some of the recommended reading but not sure if it is out-of-date?

And I am very much indeed looking forward to starting! I'm an ever so slightly competitive person so I like to always be one step ahead of everyone else. I was working abroad most of the summer in Belgium working the fields (literally) and saved up a good chunk of money. I've got all the spare time in the world now and just want to get a head start on the readings haha.

It looks like it has been updated for the new students this year, so the recommended reading on there might be useful to have a look at too :smile:.

You sound just like me! Trust me, putting in more work than everyone else in first year might seem pointless when everyone else is partying 5 nights a week, but when it comes to placements and job applications, you will be very glad you did. Getting ahead with the reading is one of the best things you can do. You want to read before the lectures so that the lecture content is familiar and makes sense, rather than sitting in the lecture trying to take all the notes in the world so you don't miss anything, plus trying to understand it.
It looks like it has been updated for the new students this year, so the recommended reading on there might be useful to have a look at too :smile:.

You sound just like me! Trust me, putting in more work than everyone else in first year might seem pointless when everyone else is partying 5 nights a week, but when it comes to placements and job applications, you will be very glad you did. Getting ahead with the reading is one of the best things you can do. You want to read before the lectures so that the lecture content is familiar and makes sense, rather than sitting in the lecture trying to take all the notes in the world so you don't miss anything, plus trying to understand it.

Yeah. I'll be turning 23 soon so It's not like I'm a 'fresh' 18 year old entering uni and tasting alcohol for the first time haha. Been there done that etc etc. Not that I won't be going out but I certainly will not be making a habit of going out every night. Need to save that money for snowboarding in the winter!
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah. I'll be turning 23 soon so It's not like I'm a 'fresh' 18 year old entering uni and tasting alcohol for the first time haha. Been there done that etc etc. Not that I won't be going out but I certainly will not be making a habit of going out every night. Need to save that money for snowboarding in the winter!

I'd already had my crazy party stage by the time I started uni too, I definitely think it helped with my attitude towards uni hahaha. Where are you going snowboarding? You should definitely join ABDN Snow if you like snowboarding :smile:. It's the snow sports club, one of the biggest clubs on campus.
Yeah. I don't think I would have done very well at uni coming straight from school (failed all my gcse's haha). I snowboard all over scotland but I mainly go up the Cairngorms. Ok cool ill check it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm starting this year for Physiology and I am so excited! Aberdeen was my first choice!!
I'd already had my crazy party stage by the time I started uni too, I definitely think it helped with my attitude towards uni hahaha. Where are you going snowboarding? You should definitely join ABDN Snow if you like snowboarding :smile:. It's the snow sports club, one of the biggest clubs on campus.

I want to continue skiing. Is membership for the snow sports club expensive? and are there trips abroad?
Original post by sillybee
I want to continue skiing. Is membership for the snow sports club expensive? and are there trips abroad?

I am not entirely sure how much it costs to join, but they definitely do trips abroad. I believe it was France last year. Not sure where they went this year, but I know they're heading somewhere in January of 2015.
Original post by Lily8603
Is there any Facebook group for us?
Can anyone tell me where do I find the student ID (8 digits) required during accommodation application?

It will be on your certificate of acceptance letter that you should have got/will get very soon :smile:
Is anyone else having trouble with the eregistration?? When I type my student ID number it says is invalid, even though I used this same ID number to apply for accommodation. Any ideas??:frown:
Reply 875
Can anyone tell me what Aberdeen is like? Also is there any other English students going. I'm a bit scared as I've never been aberdeen before
Original post by lilac-trix06
Is anyone else having trouble with the eregistration?? When I type my student ID number it says is invalid, even though I used this same ID number to apply for accommodation. Any ideas??:frown:

happened to me, sometimes it takes a while to authenticate once the unconditional offer has come through, if still not sorted by monday, ring/email aberdeen to chase it up :smile:
Someone in Fyfe House?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dhlody20
Hello!

I'm going to be studying history as a joint degree with IR :smile: Where will you be staying?

Aw woo:smile: Well I live basically on the outskirts of Aberdeen so at home, really wish I was staying at halls now though! What about you?
Original post by Sarahnassauras
Aw woo:smile: Well I live basically on the outskirts of Aberdeen so at home, really wish I was staying at halls now though! What about you?

If it makes you feel any better, I live at home and haven't had any problems :smile:. Neither have any of my other friends that live at home.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending