The Student Room Group

India launches spacecraft to Mars

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ggmu!
India's poverty problems are the size they are due to extremely high levels of government corruption. If corruption subsided in India, poverty would drop hugely.

I support space missions of any type. The human race will benefit on a whole.

It's a shame people are taking this as an opportunity to put India down.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed i'd personally like to see the whole world working together on a united front we can better use our resources. Stuff like Space X is promising.

If you want to build a spacecraft you will always find extreme levels of inequality. Elun Musk compared to the average American is miles beyond. The USA just better hides its poverty.

Indians globally are doing very well too not just in India many still own land/investments in India. Richest man in the UK is an Indian and Indias overseas FDI is growing fast alongside China.
Original post by Inzamam99
Out of interest what exactly does this/will this achieve which the Russians or Americans haven't already?

Well Russians and Americans did achieve everything but except one thing which is these tech are too costly. 15% aim of this Mars mission was to commercialize to build the space equipment. These satellites or probes which costs hundreds of millions/ few billion dollars made by the developed countries, these same equipment India can make for 70 million dollars.

So due to the low price advantage, other countries will likely to outsource these space mission jobs to India,.
Reply 62
Original post by North Wolf
Correct, to consume you need money, for money you need jobs, that is what India and China are gaining. All the top IT tops jobs are majority done by Indians, one of the riches man in the world is Indian, India is known for software, IT industries, steel, food (curries, mangoes, fish are exported by India in large number), coffee, State Bank of India (Biggest Bank in World, Indian Railways (biggest employer in the world), top researchers, call centers etc. Top management posts are held by Indians. (China is not my country and hence not discussing) otherwise your notion that Indians are working in sweatshops is absolutely wrong. See what developed countries does:

1) USA: Causes 40% of the pollution of the world alone.
2) Russia: Chernobyl Disaster .
3) Japan: Fukushima Disaster.

So don't think that developing countries are suffering because of pollution. Developed countries suffers too.

1) Official figures, please.
2) Negligible impact on environment (plus Russia is no longer a major power)
3) Negligible impact on environment (Japan had a lost decade)

Now pull the data on per capita GDP and whether India and China have any chance to even get close to the US in this respect.
Great. Pity about the 70% who live below a 100 rupees it could have been spent on.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/9155591/India-accused-of-poverty-smokescreen.html

True, maybe that is why they are cutting the £280m in aid by 2015. Although it it isnt going to be much of a saving considering the aid to Pakistan is being pushed up from £260m to £450m in 2014, instead of funding and space program we will be funding terrorism.
1) No need of official figures, check yourself don't have time.
2) Might be, but think of calamities faced by people living there.
3) Don't know about that, I will talk to you about that later..

GDP is just one sided figure. USA have 15 trillion GDP agreed, but just look at its debt $ 17,133,401,500,764(national). It has got biggest negative bank balance in short. You know about US govt shutdown? It is because of its reckless spending had landed the country to such position. http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Original post by CEKTOP
1) Official figures, please.
2) Negligible impact on environment (plus Russia is no longer a major power)
3) Negligible impact on environment (Japan had a lost decade)

Now pull the data on per capita GDP and whether India and China have any chance to even get close to the US in this respect.

GDP is just one sided figure. USA have 15 trillion GDP agreed, but just look at its debt $ 17,133,401,500,764(national). It has got biggest negative bank balance in short. You know about US govt shutdown? It is because of its reckless spending had landed the country to such position. http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Well Russians and Americans did achieve everything but except one thing which is these tech are too costly. 15% aim of this Mars mission was to commercialize to build the space equipment. These satellites or probes which costs hundreds of millions/ few billion dollars made by the developed countries, these same equipment India can make for 70 million dollars.

So due to the low price advantage, other countries will likely to outsource these space mission jobs to India,.

If that happens then fair play to them.
Reply 67
Out of interest what exactly does this/will this achieve which the Russians or Americans haven't already?

Butthurt Pakistani detected.

India discovered water on moon. Pakistan discovered newer ways to piss off the world. Now get on your donkey and sod off back to Bradfordistan.
Original post by College_Dropout
True, maybe that is why they are cutting the £280m in aid by 2015. Although it it isnt going to be much of a saving considering the aid to Pakistan is being pushed up from £260m to £450m in 2014, instead of funding and space program we will be funding terrorism.

Well then cut the strings tied aid then. Don't give a **** to be honest.

I'd rather Pakistan collapse then accept aid from *****sh countries which sue for peace when one of their citizens is murdered by point fingers at another which has lost tens of thousands.

Bye.
If that happens then fair play to them.

Yes not only good for India, but also for other countries as they can purchase these tech at lower cost instead of spending billions of dollars to purchase USA/Russian space tech.
Original post by clopclop
Butthurt Pakistani detected.

India discovered water on moon. Pakistan discovered newer ways to piss off the world. Now get on your donkey and sod off back to Bradfordistan.

Why would I butthurt that India is pumping millions into a space programme instead of alleviating 70% of its population which lives on below 100 rupees a day?

Hhahah.. there's nothing like an Indian with his head up his arse who acts as if everyone in his country lives like the Swiss.
Yes not only good for India, but also for other countries as they can purchase these tech at lower cost instead of spending billions of dollars to purchase USA/Russian space tech.

That's good. Of course quality checks etc. would be necessary I assume.
That's good. Of course quality checks etc. would be necessary I assume.

Quality might be good, but hope the mission gets successful. That's the only thing we are worried about.
Quality might be good, but hope the mission gets successful. That's the only thing we are worried about.

Yeah. Overall, it will be interesting to see its results.
they are going to mine wheat on mars so they can make chappatis
Yeah. Overall, it will be interesting to see its results.

Yes, the results might determine the India's standing in space club. If it succeeds, good for India, if it fails we learn the faults and can improve on it because even USA and Russia failed many times until they succeeded in space research.
Original post by PopaPork
I wonder if they use the bodies of the starving and dead to fuel this

Given so many live in dire poverty and hunger you's think they would have better things to spend the money on

But hey ho a few more thousand dead no biggie as they are going to mars

Original post by thunder_chunky
They have some ****ing horrific slums but $72 million on space travel is totally fine. Yeah, that makes sense.

Going to quote straight from reddit for you guys:

1) ISRO's(Indian Space Research Organization) budget is only 0.34 per cent of Central Government expenditure currently and 0.08 per cent of the GDP(~USD 800 Million). Compare that to billions spent on "Fix Poverty" programs such as Employment Guarantee Programs(NREGA, USD 7.24+ Billion spent each year) and Subsidized/Free Food Program(FSB,USD 20+ Billion to be spent each year) etc.

2) ISRO is actually funding itself thanks to annual revenue from foreign satellite launches and sale of satellite data/imagery(that is useful for things like Google Maps for example) through its Antrix Subsidiary. Last time I checked it was INR 9 BILLION. source.

Spoiler

SO PROUD OF INDIA FOR ACCOMPLISHING THIS
Reply 77

1) How come you do have time to post here then?
2) The whole SU was one big calamity
3) Be sure to do that

See the rates at which the US borrows its money. Would be stupid not to sell these bonds, its a bargain. They can easily service their debt right now.

The government shutdown has nothing to do with US debt. The debt ceiling is an absolutely artificial measure that used to be nothing but a rubber stamp, the recent shutdown is a direct result of speaker Boehner being afraid of losing his job and thus being unwilling to circumvent the Hastert rule. In short, this was the fault of the reckless Tea Partiers, who ensured that the GOP will be buried alive come midterms.
Reply 78
Original post by PopaPork
No it's not

we do not have anywhere new the levels of poverty.

But I'm sure the boost to India's industry will not help the people who starved to death last night

or tonight

or tomorrow

Perhaps food production and electricity production should come before the space race 9something they have already lost)

not now, but it wasn't long ago as I just said there were extreme level of poverty here in uk, especially regions away from London. the NHS was setup for poor people to use barely 60 years ago. uk had then what 40 million ppl? india has over a billion. Developed countries only become developed with huge investments in trade and industry - britain had the advantage of practically free colonial manpower and resources, india and other BRICS don't have that resruces, they have to do it the gradual way.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 79
I was infuriated when I read the article this morning. Such money would be better spent on reducing their level of poverty. Astronomers claim that the spacecraft won't even get anywhere near Mars.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending