The Student Room Group

I have no GCSEs

I had to leave school due to personal issues and therefore have no GCSEs which has now become a problem. Im 17 and wanting to study something but I haven’t even got the qualifications to get into the college courses .the only place I’ve found I can do an alternative I’m not comfortable doing either way my question is what has worked for others in this case ?
Hello Sue, personally I haven’t had this experience however I know quite a lot of people who have and they did end up doing GCSEs at college as most jobs want you to have Mars in English so I’d recommend trying to get them even local job centres or community centres might have courses available, so I would recommend reaching out to Job centres community centres in your local area to see if they have any courses available. I know that you’re not keen on doing an equivalent however you could even try and get an entry level job or apprenticeship and work your way up from the start and they could even allow you to be able to study on the job, although I know a lot of them also required so may not be entirely viable for you. My first step would be to contact local job centres and community centres and local colleges to see what they offer and how they can best support u further. Wishing u all the best
Hi,

I left school with poor grades. Although I’m now a Police Constable and own my own business, it’s been a journey made harder by my lack of qualifications.

I’d recommend getting yourself onto an English and Maths functional skills course. It’s equivalent to GCSE, but the way it works may suit you better, it definitely did for me.

There’s plenty of jobs out there whereby you don’t need qualifications, but you’d need back that up with experience instead and be prepared to start at the bottom and work your way ups

As the above poster said, get yourself to the job centre. There’s loads of funding out there.

What is it that you’d like to do ?
Reply 3
Original post by Ell-m
I had to leave school due to personal issues and therefore have no GCSEs which has now become a problem. Im 17 and wanting to study something but I haven’t even got the qualifications to get into the college courses .the only place I’ve found I can do an alternative I’m not comfortable doing either way my question is what has worked for others in this case ?

Hi @Ell-m

GCSE results are helpful when applying for some courses, but they don't need to hold back your career 🙂

Entry level roles here at the Crown Prosecution Service don't require any qualifications - we're looking for commitment to public service and an interest in criminal law. We offer full training and lots of opportunities for career development, including apprenticeships which you can complete alongside study for maths and English qualifications.

Applications are currently open for paralegal assistants, and we're also launching campaigns to recruit admin officers, casework assistants and apprentices in the next few months. You can find out more and sign up for updates here.

Best of luck with your search!
Jade - CPS recruitment team

Quick Reply

Latest