The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I applied quite a while ago, it was the second application I ever did. Must have been April/May time. Looking back at last year's thread, it seems as though people had telephone interviews into August time too, so as long as you've not been rejected, I imagine you can still hold out a little hope!

R.d.17 - from what I remember, the interview was all fairly standard. A mixture of competency and commercial, as you'd expect. It's not AG themselves that do it, they outsource to a company.
Original post by R.d.17
I applied on the 30th July and heard back last Thursday (7th)

I applied on the 31st so perhaps it's not worth stressing over just yet! Hope not.
Reply 1182
Original post by TCchaser
Hi everyone. Been following this thread for a while since application deadlines closed, so I thought I might as well throw in my experiences.

I applied to 8 firms. Rejected from Trowers & Hamlins, S&C, and Shoosmiths.

I had a phone interview with Addleshaw Goddard and have been invited to the group exercise with DLA Piper. I also got invited to complete the VRT for RPC. Still waiting to hear anything back from Ashurst and TLT Solicitors - anybody in the same boat?

Can anybody advise as to when I can expect to hear back from AG? If it's any help, I applied to the Manchester office and did my telephone interview on 29th July. The person who conducted the interview did advise at the time that they'd get back to me within 2 weeks (i.e. by 12th August). I know that they outsource the telephone interviews but I'd appreciate any previous/current experiences insight with AG.

With DLA Piper, it looks as though this group exercise thing is a new thing. I look forward to hearing from the guys who have their group exercise earlier during the coming week. I wonder if they'll be testing the commercial side or if it will just be about teamwork, etc.

Original post by lucykinzz
I have my DLA one on Thurs, so will let you know! I've been thinking more teamwork as they do seem to have stressed that it's quite informal, but I've done a lot of googling and havent seen anything about it anywhere!
When did you apply to AG? I applied on the 31st but havent heard anything yet.

I think the DLA group exercise must be a new thing, I can't find anything about it either :s-smilie:. I'm thinking it might be commercially related but testing how you work with people rather than your actual commercial knowledge, just a guess though.

@TCchaser, did you apply to TLT in London? I haven't heard anything from them but I think those applying to the Bristol office might have.
Original post by Montsz
Yeah, I guess she had a compelling case though.. She contacted them and they gave her a call then put her on a AC reserve list. The next day she got a AC invite.

I am not saying everyone should go and do the same as like I said she had a compelling case! If you do too, I would say go for it! There is no harm in trying as the worst thing they could do is say no and they already have!

Thanks for the info! If you don't mind me asking, why was your friend's case so compelling? I hope I don't come across as sounding arrogant, but I thought that my test went quite well and I usually pass those tests. I also thought that my app was decent enough to deserve a real shot at progressing through to the next stage. Do you think I should go for it or am I too delusional in thinking that I'm better than I actually am? Thanks again!
Original post by Rtxox
I think the DLA group exercise must be a new thing, I can't find anything about it either :s-smilie:. I'm thinking it might be commercially related but testing how you work with people rather than your actual commercial knowledge, just a guess though.

@TCchaser, did you apply to TLT in London? I haven't heard anything from them but I think those applying to the Bristol office might have.

Hi, is this for DLA Piper in Manchester?
Original post by TCchaser
Hi everyone. Been following this thread for a while since application deadlines closed, so I thought I might as well throw in my experiences.

I applied to 8 firms. Rejected from Trowers & Hamlins, S&C, and Shoosmiths.

I had a phone interview with Addleshaw Goddard and have been invited to the group exercise with DLA Piper. I also got invited to complete the VRT for RPC. Still waiting to hear anything back from Ashurst and TLT Solicitors - anybody in the same boat?

Can anybody advise as to when I can expect to hear back from AG? If it's any help, I applied to the Manchester office and did my telephone interview on 29th July. The person who conducted the interview did advise at the time that they'd get back to me within 2 weeks (i.e. by 12th August). I know that they outsource the telephone interviews but I'd appreciate any previous/current experiences insight with AG.

With DLA Piper, it looks as though this group exercise thing is a new thing. I look forward to hearing from the guys who have their group exercise earlier during the coming week. I wonder if they'll be testing the commercial side or if it will just be about teamwork, etc.

Congrats on what you have achieved so far!

The first assessment day has indeed got a new structure. It is based on your people skills and how you interact with others! Don't know how much information you received but from my knowledge you are there for about an hour! Enjoy the task and it'll really show! The firm is really friendly and they are down to earth so being natural and yourself should make you stand out!

What office did you apply to?
Original post by scar_li
Thanks for the info! If you don't mind me asking, why was your friend's case so compelling? I hope I don't come across as sounding arrogant, but I thought that my test went quite well and I usually pass those tests. I also thought that my app was decent enough to deserve a real shot at progressing through to the next stage. Do you think I should go for it or am I too delusional in thinking that I'm better than I actually am? Thanks again!

It's not my case to share, however If you were to contact them it should be today and make sure you are clear, precise and straight to the point. Ask them for feedback first then argue your case! No harm in trying they have already said no!
Original post by Rtxox

That's what my guess would have been - a commercially-based scenario, mainly testing that you can come out with some, at least, cogent arguments, but mainly testing whether or not you can work in a team.

Yes, my TLT application was to the London office.

Original post by Montsz
Congrats on what you have achieved so far!

The first assessment day has indeed got a new structure. It is based on your people skills and how you interact with others! Don't know how much information you received but from my knowledge you are there for about an hour! Enjoy the task and it'll really show! The firm is really friendly and they are down to earth so being natural and yourself should make you stand out!

What office did you apply to?

Thanks for that advice, very useful! Are you currently with DLA Piper?

I applied to the Manchester office.
Anyone heard from weightmans post vacation scheme yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1189
Anyone have news from

Memery (I know someone earlier in thread mentioned they had a phone interview this week?)
Kennedys
Penningtons
Squire Sanders
Osborne Clarke
Goodman Derrick?
Original post by JessChappers01
Anyone heard from weightmans post vacation scheme yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont know about post vacation scheme but direct applicants are supposed to hear by the end of today so it may be the same for you.
Original post by JTTTT
Anyone have news from

Memery (I know someone earlier in thread mentioned they had a phone interview this week?)
Kennedys
Penningtons
Squire Sanders
Osborne Clarke
Goodman Derrick?

Nothing from GD yet.
Just waiting to hear back from Freshfields and Slaughter and May. Starting to get really nervous too :frown:

Best of luck to anyone with ACs or interviews this week! Here's hoping there is lots of positive news over the next while :biggrin:
Has anyone who applied late July heard back from Slaughter and May?
Original post by adam1992
I dont know about post vacation scheme but direct applicants are supposed to hear by the end of today so it may be the same for you.

Ah okay thank you! I expect we will hear today as well then. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Weil anyone? Or Mayer Brown, KWM SJ Berwin, Travers Smith or Macfarlanes? I've heard nada from all!
Reply 1196
PFO Hogan Lovells
Reply 1197
Freshfields interview!
Hi scar_li, just thought I may be able to shed some light on the CC process.

Apparently they use a "points system" which allocates you points based on certain things in an application (i.e you get so many points for language skills, more points if fluent) and they have a threshold of how many points you need to get to progress to AC. I presume they combine app points with test score for an overall total.

My friend applied for a TC after participating in the Christmas workshop scheme and technically didn't get enough points based on her app so received the automatic rejection email but the next day received a phone call from HR to invite her to the AC anyway. HR said the partners she met at the xmas workshop had liked her so asked about her app and apparently she was only 2 points short of the threshold so the partners wanted to interview her anyway. Allegedly you get points for things like academic scholarships to Uni but being a Scottish student who doesn't pay anyway these are almost non-existent for Scottish students at Scottish universities so that was considered one thing she technically never would have been able to get points for. They also thought she had been too modest about her language abilities (having spent a year abroad studying in a foreign language) and had she put her level one grade higher she would have received enough points. She was then offered and accepted a 2016 TC.

Seems a sort of bizarre and impersonal system to me but might explain your situation. I suppose it is worth having a go if you think you would have been really close to the mark and especially if you have ever met anyone the firm as a good first impression appears to help, worst that could happen is they don't reconsider.
Reply 1199
Hey, has anyone heard any news from Irwin Mitchell following a phone interview?

Latest

Trending

Trending