The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nathalina2101
Yesterday, around midday

Thanks- and good luck! I haven't been PFO'd yet at least so fingers crossed. . .
AC Invite to Trowers & Hamlins :smile:
Original post by LegallyBlonde28
I was just wondering whether anyone has reviewed their TLT application post submission? It appears that all paragraphs, bullet points etc. have been deleted on the preview of the submitted application. Which means that all my answers to questions and work experience are just blocks of text, which I think will be very difficult for the graduate recruitment team to read and makes my answers less impressive. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, the grad-rec team must be used to it and know that it is a system error rather than my failure to use paragraphs. Please let me know, thanks and good luck to all and congrats to those who are already receiving offers/invites to assessment days.

Hello. On some of the application forms I filled out on CVmail/apply4law, the question does state something to the effect of, "we are aware that editing/formatting such as bold text and bullet points will not appear. Please use plain text only." As such, I've always written out my work experience in a short-essay paragraph style, ie:

Between my undergraduate and postgraduate studies, I joined the public sector as a clerk for the Treasury Department’s Internal Revenue Service. As an IRS tax clerk, I meticulously organised mass amounts of confidential documents, processed remittance, and verified federal regulation compliance for private and corporate accounts.

It's very different from the normal CV write-up (especially as I'm in my mid-20s, originally from the USA, and have had quite a few jobs!) In future, just make sure you click "preview" before submitting to make sure all of the formatting is nice and tidy. I don't know what the grad recruitment team will think/do/say, but I'm sure they'll know it was a formatting issue. I hope this helps.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by iced coffee
Hello. On some of the application forms I filled out on CVmail/apply4law, the question does state something to the effect of, "we are aware that editing/formatting such as bold text and bullet points will not appear. Please use plain text only." As such, I've always written out my work experience in a short-essay paragraph style, ie:

Between my undergraduate and postgraduate studies, I joined the public sector as a clerk for the Treasury Department’s Internal Revenue Service. As an IRS tax clerk, I meticulously organised mass amounts of confidential documents, processed remittance, and verified federal regulation compliance for private and corporate accounts.

It's very different from the normal CV write-up (especially as I'm in my mid-20s, originally from the USA, and have had quite a few jobs!) In future, just make sure you click "preview" before submitting to make sure all of the formatting is nice and tidy. I don't know what the grad recruitment team will think/do/say, but I'm sure they'll know it was a formatting issue. I hope this helps.

Perfect, thanks your reply. Unlike most applications, there wasn't an option to preview the application before sending you simply had to click back through the pages and preview that way - where the paragraphs came up correctly. However, once I sent the form, the paragraphs disappeared and everything was molded into one block of text rather than with the paragraphs I had added. Hopefully they are aware of this formatting issue like you said.
Reply 1384
Original post by R.E.M
Don't let it get you down. These tests are a pain but sooner or later you'll come good! Stick with it!

Has anyone heard back from Addleshaws or DWF after phone/video interview yet?

Original post by hannahcatmac
Sorry to hear that! I wouldn't get yourself down about tests though, apparently some firms use a percentile system comparing to others who have sat that test, rather than having a cut off for how many you need to get correct. So someone who gets two wrong but has 3 minutes to spare may score higher than someone who runs out of time with one unanswered question but 29 correct answers, so it doesn't necessarily mean you don't perform well in VRT's!

Also Wragge's VRT was definitely one of the hardest I have ever seen!

Thanks. I think it's a question of practising as many as possible. :smile:
Original post by candyflakes
O wow!!! Congratulations :smile: any idea when you will hear back???

Thank you! I'm sure it'll be at least 10-14 days, as they said that the partners conducting the interviews were a bit slow in submitting their feedback. I have another interview tomorrow so I'm just trying to focus on one thing at a time... but it's difficult!
I received an invite for a first stage interview at Bircham Dyson Bell yesterday. Has anyone had any experience of interviews with this firm?

The interview is with Graduate Recruitment so I'm pretty much planning for the usual suspects of competency Qs, commercial Qs etc...
Reply 1387
Hello everyone. I have been following this thread for the past month but only decided to join now. A quick update on my experiences so far. I am a law graduate (just) from a (very) lesser represented university. I have applied for 33 training contracts with 11 rejections so far - some post telephone interviews and online tests but most straight from the application form. I have 22 to hear from and an assessment day with Clifford Chance at the end of month. I was just wondering whether anyone has reviewed their TLT application post submission? It appears that all paragraphs, bullet points etc. have been deleted on the preview of the submitted application. Which means that all my answers to questions and work experience are just blocks of text, which I think will be very difficult for the graduate recruitment team to read and makes my answers less impressive. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, the grad-rec team must be used to it and know that it is a system error rather than my failure to use paragraphs. Please let me know, thanks and good luck to all and congrats to those who are already receiving offers/invites to assessment days.

Yep, I found that with TLT too.

Hopefully they will realise it's them, not us!
Hello everyone. I have been following this thread for the past month but only decided to join now. A quick update on my experiences so far. I am a law graduate (just) from a (very) lesser represented university. I have applied for 33 training contracts with 11 rejections so far - some post telephone interviews and online tests but most straight from the application form. I have 22 to hear from and an assessment day with Clifford Chance at the end of month. I was just wondering whether anyone has reviewed their TLT application post submission? It appears that all paragraphs, bullet points etc. have been deleted on the preview of the submitted application. Which means that all my answers to questions and work experience are just blocks of text, which I think will be very difficult for the graduate recruitment team to read and makes my answers less impressive. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, the grad-rec team must be used to it and know that it is a system error rather than my failure to use paragraphs. Please let me know, thanks and good luck to all and congrats to those who are already receiving offers/invites to assessment days.

If you have an assessment day with Clifford Chance then you're clearly doing something right! Congrats :smile:
Anyone heard from DWF post video interview yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1390
Original post by Dreamsofbeaches

Posted from TSR Mobile

Noooo… Expect we should hear soon though as DWF wrap up their whole recruitment process on the last Friday of August (29th), and in between now and then they need to squeeze in face to face interviews and assessment days!
Original post by alho20
Next Monday in Liverpool.. How about yours??

If I haven't heard back post online interview from HD, is it safe to say that's a PFO?
Anyone heard anything since their Browne Jacobson telephone interview?? I was told to expect a response on the phone early this week, Monday/tuesday.. however she did squeeze a quiet "possibly wednesday" in as well!

I was really hoping for today, however I am getting too obsessed with checking my emails I need to step away!!

I am also yet to hear anything from IM post telephone interview and from Mills & Reeve since initial application. I saw a previous comment saying that SGH will not be interviewing this year, they will retain the "best" applications and review again next year - has anyone actually received any correspondence from them directly?!
Reply 1393
Has anyone heard from TLT post VRT (for the Bristol office)?
I saw that someone earlier on in the thread had been invited to an interview at Bircham Dyson Bell (Congrats! :smile: ). I am still waiting to hear from them. Has anyone received a PFO from BDB?
Reply 1395
RPC PFO (post holding email)
Reply 1396
Original post by Dreamsofbeaches

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by alho20
Noooo… Expect we should hear soon though as DWF wrap up their whole recruitment process on the last Friday of August (29th), and in between now and then they need to squeeze in face to face interviews and assessment days!

Yes, by email earlier today.

Assessment centres will be held in September.
Reply 1397
Original post by charlie5155
If I haven't heard back post online interview from HD, is it safe to say that's a PFO?

I wouldn't say so. My video interview was early on in the process and only got the AC invite yesterday.
Original post by R.E.M
I wouldn't say so. My video interview was early on in the process and only got the AC invite yesterday.

Oh okay. I had mine on the 3rd so pretty late. I expect a PFO anyway it went pretty bad.
Original post by R.E.M
Yes, by email earlier today.

Assessment centres will be held in September.

Same. I heard shortly after my last post :smile:
Seems like a long old process but good news is nice nonetheless.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending