The Student Room Group

Failed MOT for hydrocarbon content

So yeah had my MOT on saturday and it failed for a few things. Didn't get to chat to the garage about what to do about it because they were closing
Failed on:

Front disc being contaminated by oil

Exhaust emissions hydrocarbon content after 2nd fast idle excessive.

(also failed me on my LED sidelights)

Minors: rear sub frame rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement.
Oil leak
suspensions components and brake components contaminated by oil which has restricted viewing some components.

Kind of confused why it's spitting out unburnt fuel.
So yeah. I'm not too sure how to get it through the MOT. I don't want to get the oil leak fixed yet because I need the car at the moment and it's not an MOT failure.
So I'm thinking just get the oil cleaned off?

The emissions i'm thinking a new lambda would do the trick?
Reply 1
post up the gas readings.

Oil on brake disk? Sure it's oil or brake fluid?
Reply 2
They only left me the MOT failure certificate because they were closing and I wasn't at the garage.

Should be oil because the brake fluid levels seems okay and the drivers side of the car is coated in oil underneath.
Original post by Camoxide
(also failed me on my LED sidelights)

Why? Are they not white?
Reply 4
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Why? Are they not white?

Very very slightly blueish.

Try the lambda sensor , replace it but first get a diagnostic done, if it fails again you need to get a new engine installed or perhaps piston rings,

source : mechanic apprentice , experience in head gaskets, engine installation and removal, brakes, chassis, welding, bodywork, e.t.c.

do you live in lancashire, I am free this week to take a look

So I'm assuming that's why it failed, or...?
Reply 7
Original post by People love me .
Try the lambda sensor , replace it but first get a diagnostic done, if it fails again you need to get a new engine installed or perhaps piston rings,

source : mechanic apprentice , experience in head gaskets, engine installation and removal, brakes, chassis, welding, bodywork, e.t.c.

Plymouth i'm afraid.

It's going down to the garage tomorrow morning to have all the oil cleaned off and to find out where the leak is coming from. I'll get them to diagnose the cause of the high hydrocarbon content then.

The last owner did the head gasket himself (mechanic) so I'm guessing he didn't do something right when putting it back together. He reused the old spark plugs for some reason because they looked a bit knackered when I took them out.
Reply 8
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
So I'm assuming that's why it failed, or...?

Yeah "wrong colour". Down to the person who tests it really.
The light that's given off has to be white but it's so close to it its a bit silly to fail it for it.

Besides i'm obviously going to put them straight back in after the MOT anyway.
Reply 9
Original post by People love me .

If you're a mechanic and your diagnostic approach is to change the lambda then change the engine I'm glad you're nowhere near me..
Reply 10
Okay got it through the MOT.

Turns out it's burning oil as well as losing. Good is though the leak is coming from the top of the engine so it should be pretty easy to fix when I get round to it
Reply 11
Just keep an eye on it. All engines burn oil to some degree.
Although, you know for next year your emmisions will be a challenge if it's noticeably burning oil now... so full oil service and a new air filter plus a damn good thrashing before the next test.
Reply 12
Original post by JC.
Just keep an eye on it. All engines burn oil to some degree.
Although, you know for next year your emmisions will be a challenge if it's noticeably burning oil now... so full oil service and a new air filter plus a damn good thrashing before the next test.

The thing is though I only serviced it 2 months ago and it'd been on a 70 miles drive the day before the MOT. So I don't know what to do about the emissions. Not really sure how they got it through the 2nd time.

I doubt I'll have it next year anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending