The Student Room Group

Do I need to do a SORN for no MOT?

Hi,

My MOT is due to expire on the 27th but due to a variety of different reasons, it seems unlikely I will have the means to complete the MOT on time.

Do I need to complete the SORN or is that if I had no tax and insurance on it (which I do).

Also, after the expiry of the MOT, am I right I can only drive it to the testing centre and/or a garage for repairs?

Thanks
Reply 1
SORN not required, but vehicle needs to be kept off road and only driven to prearranged MOT.
Reply 2
You're good with tax and insurance, so no need for SORN. And yeah, post-MOT expiry, you can only drive to the test center or a garage.
Reply 3
Original post by NathanL
You're good with tax and insurance, so no need for SORN. And yeah, post-MOT expiry, you can only drive to the test center or a garage.

Hi, I realised after my original post and when I got the reminder through the post that my tax, which is on a direct debit, is due to expire end of the year. My car failed its MOT on a minor issue but due to various different reasons I'm not expecting to be able to get it repaired and through the MOT soon. My direct debit for the tax won't continue without an MOT certificate. Do I need to do a SORN?
Reply 4
Yes….SORN required for any untaxed vehicle.
It must be kept off road, ie on private property.
If you keep it on the road whilst sorned, you will be fined and need to pay the missing tax.
Reply 5
Thanks 👍🏽

I've done a SORN today, so am I right in saying I would need to do get a successful MOT certificate before taxing the vehicle and I can only drive the car now to go to a garage or MOT test centre?
Reply 6
Original post by Aky786UK
Thanks 👍🏽

I've done a SORN today, so am I right in saying I would need to do get a successful MOT certificate before taxing the vehicle and I can only drive the car now to go to a garage or MOT test centre?

You’re almost correct…..the MOT must be a prearranged appointment…you can’t just drive to an MOT station and wait in line.
Reply 7
For various reasons, I had been unable to get the fault of the MOT sorted until today and I had booked on what I assumed to be a full MOT. However the tester said that as it was outside the 10 working days that the computer couldn't do it and I would have to come back another day. This has all confused me.

Am I right in assuming that had I gone back within 10 working days that it would have been a partial retest with no fee to pay and it wouldn't have taken as long for the test to be done? For some reason I had it in my head that it was 21 days for a retest.

He was insistent that I had to come back and the computer wouldn't let it but unless he was booked up which I doubt, why couldn't I have done a full MOT test there and then?

I had always assumed I would have to pay £45 again but had I taken the time to know the above I would have done so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending