The Student Room Group

Should I consider buying a used car with failed mot tests in the past?

Should I consider buying a used car if it has failed a few mot tests in the past, like 5 or so failed ones? thanks in advance
Absolutely depends why it failed and what work was done, you can fail for what most would call trivial things like a bulb or consumable items like tyres which get replaced anyway - if you see a fail then a pass again the same or next day, it's a pretty safe assumption the work needed was minor.

The big one for me is corrosion as it spreads and that's been my main loss of vehicles over the years, esp in a wet & salty country.
Reply 2
Depends what it's failed on really. I only worry about failures within the last two years
It depends on what the vehicle has failed on. It would also be good to look at the advisories it has had as this will give you an indication of what work is likely needed for the next MOT.

Always check as much of the MOT history as possible to check what work has been done and likely needs to be done. Also check the mileages recorded for each of the MOT's to see if they are roughly the same each year (2020 onwards will potentially be lower due to the lockdowns and not much travelling being done). It might also be best to get some other checks done
Original post by scorpion95
It depends on what the vehicle has failed on. It would also be good to look at the advisories it has had as this will give you an indication of what work is likely needed for the next MOT.

Always check as much of the MOT history as possible to check what work has been done and likely needs to be done. Also check the mileages recorded for each of the MOT's to see if they are roughly the same each year (2020 onwards will potentially be lower due to the lockdowns and not much travelling being done). It might also be best to get some other checks done

2 little things, in the case of advisories it should lead to you asking the seller if the advisory work has already been done, as that info doesn't get added to the MOT and in the case of mileage, why does it matter if it's the same mileage every year? You care about total mileage, false entries and maybe extremes if the car did v low/0 miles in a year (they don't like sitting for long), but the usage of the car changing year by year doesn't really tell you anything about the car as a buyer, you've no way of knowing who/how many drivers were using it or what for - people move or start new jobs, travel etc all the time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending