The Student Room Group

How do you revise?

So I'm doing my AS levels: Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Spanish ATM.

I'm a bit worried because I've not really settled in yet (I'm still getting Cs in mocks, where I want As) I'm tying really hard and just don't know what I'm doing wrong. So, how do you actually revise effectively?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by tara28
So I'm doing my AS levels: Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Spanish ATM.

I'm a bit worried because I've not really settled in yet (I'm still getting Cs in mocks, where I want As) I'm tying really hard and just don't know what I'm doing wrong. So, how do you actually revise effectively?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For maths I learn by learning in the classroom, asking the teacher, using mymaths, googling what I don't understand (the last thing I googled how to complete a square), asking classmates, using textbooks from library

I use those methods for all my subjects, but I imagine it changes depending on your circumstances. Some teachers are unhelpful and only lecture you, like my physics teacher refuses to let you ask questions and when you do, you get a long lecture. Some subjects, like earth science, don't have very many good websites for revision.
Read the official books, read them again (especially the bits you didn't get first), practice the questions on the book (all of them if you want to do well), read revision guides (atleast the CGP ones but the collins ones for science are pretty decent too as they go into topics into much greater depth). Make notes on everything you have read and then compress them into small notes (you will eventually find a way into do this), lastly do past papers and do all of them and make sure you know what you are answering (atleast towards the last half of the papers you should know what you need to answer), I did this with Physics and I got over 90% at it at AS and this is considering I barely scraped an A in the physics exams at GCSE. Good luck! :smile:
What I do is I take notes that I should during class and when I go home I would write all the notes neatly on lined- paper. If you don't understand anything in the lesson ask afterwards, research (extra homework), or get textbooks from the library. When you finished writing neatly make your notes look eye-catching, so highlight important keywords to make your notes look nice, and also your brain is attracted to colours (It will force you to read your notes!).

I did all of this in maths and I got 65% (bad, but I have improved by 26% and I didn't do a lot of note taking but it is something). I was ranked in Set 3 and if I do good again I can move up from Set 5, it makes a big difference to your results, just keep trying as hard as you can. That is how you revise :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending