The Student Room Group

Apparently it's really hard to get a career as a psychologist :(

So I am applying for Psychology and have received 4 offers after 2 weeks of sending off my UCAS so I've been pretty happy about doing psychology in the future
But then people on here have said it's extremely hard to get a career as a psychologist etc and my aim is to become a forensic psychologist but apparently there's no jobs and stuff :frown:

how does it look for me, someone who wants to become a forensic psychologist?

I'm really really worried now :frown:
Original post by iLoveMyCatsx
So I am applying for Psychology and have received 4 offers after 2 weeks of sending off my UCAS so I've been pretty happy about doing psychology in the future
But then people on here have said it's extremely hard to get a career as a psychologist etc and my aim is to become a forensic psychologist but apparently there's no jobs and stuff :frown:

If your motivated enough to get plenty of work experience and do well in your exams then you should be fine, although keeping your mind open to potential plan b's is also good. Most things in life that are worth having are hard to get. Its just not a walk in the park, and many people can't get on it. Working in prisons is also not necessarily easy either though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by iammichealjackson
If your motivated enough to get plenty of work experience and do well in your exams then you should be fine, although keeping your mind open to potential plan b's is also good. Most things in life that are worth having are hard to get. Its just not a walk in the park, and many people can't get on it. Working in prisons is also not necessarily easy either though.

Why not? :frown:
Why not? :frown:

Why do you think? I guess it depends who your dealing with, high security or low security prisons. Gaurds especially are targeted by inmates.

I am not sure how inmates feel about prison psychologists either, given that they can determine when they are released (those serving IPP sentences have their sentence length determined solely (simplification) by what psychologists/parole board think). I am sure that as a psychologist, if you had to present evidence to the parole board, then prisoners would be nice to you, but i just wouldn't assume that working in a prison wouldn't be stressful. My supervisor for one of my papers works in prisons quite a lot and he said that people were nice enough, but its different for a visiting researcher than someone on the parole board/doing something else.

Either way there WILL be necessary jobs for psychologists for the near future in the prison system. Just you have to make yourself the best possible candiate starting from getting the necessary experience during your first year of uni.

I want to be a forensic psychologist too and that's all I'm hearing!
Reply 5
Original post by iammichealjackson
Why do you think? I guess it depends who your dealing with, high security or low security prisons. Gaurds especially are targeted by inmates.

I am not sure how inmates feel about prison psychologists either, given that they can determine when they are released (those serving IPP sentences have their sentence length determined solely (simplification) by what psychologists/parole board think). I am sure that as a psychologist, if you had to present evidence to the parole board, then prisoners would be nice to you, but i just wouldn't assume that working in a prison wouldn't be stressful. My supervisor for one of my papers works in prisons quite a lot and he said that people were nice enough, but its different for a visiting researcher than someone on the parole board/doing something else.

Either way there WILL be necessary jobs for psychologists for the near future in the prison system. Just you have to make yourself the best possible candiate starting from getting the necessary experience during your first year of uni.

Ohh you're talking in terms of safety/stress? I'm fine with that I really love the idea of being a forensic psychologist! My cousin who is a forensic psychiatrist once had a violent encounter with a male criminal and it didn't phase me when she told me it could happen even as a psychologist
Reply 6
Original post by lauraaaaa
I want to be a forensic psychologist too and that's all I'm hearing!

>.< it so scary I was told by a psychology student studying forensic psychology that she wasnt worried about finding a job :/ now i hear stuff like this it's worrying :frown:
Hey

Have a look through some of the linkedin profiles. There are some forensic psychologist trainees and chartered forensic psychologists out there (I've met a few!).

Whilst completing my PhD, i came across one candidate who was about to start the professional doctorate in forensic psychology in Birmingham. I imagine she's probably a chartered forensic psychologist now.

Psychology IS competitive, but more routes are more competitive than others- ie clinical psy is very competitive! Generally, the right academic background (at least a 2.1, some complete postgraduate qualifications), relevant experience and good references seems to help psychology graduate prospects. It's a highly enjoyable career path (I'm a trainee health psychologist and recently completed a PhD in a clinically relevant area).

hope this helps.
Reply 8
Original post by HealthPsychology
Hey

Have a look through some of the linkedin profiles. There are some forensic psychologist trainees and chartered forensic psychologists out there (I've met a few!).

Whilst completing my PhD, i came across one candidate who was about to start the professional doctorate in forensic psychology in Birmingham. I imagine she's probably a chartered forensic psychologist now.

Psychology IS competitive, but more routes are more competitive than others- ie clinical psy is very competitive! Generally, the right academic background (at least a 2.1, some complete postgraduate qualifications), relevant experience and good references seems to help psychology graduate prospects. It's a highly enjoyable career path (I'm a trainee health psychologist and recently completed a PhD in a clinically relevant area).

hope this helps.

okay what things do you suggest i do in terms of volunteer work and work experience?
shall i try get a variety not just in forensics? when should i start?
also how do i get a 2.1 or a first in my degree? how different is it from alevels? how should i approach it? (in terms of revision)
But then people on here have said it's extremely hard to get a career as a psychologist etc and my aim is to become a forensic psychologist but apparently there's no jobs and stuff

While it is competitive, there are plenty that do get into psychology as a career. I think its easy to be put off any career if you listen to the more pessimistic among us. It's good to be realistic, but also to think about how you can put yourself in the best place to stand a chance.

Good marks in your undergrad are important, so meeting up with your tutor to discuss study skills and how to navigate the jump to university is probably a good start.
where have you applied?

i'm applying soon too.
Original post by Secretnerd123
where have you applied?

i'm applying soon too.

I've gotten 4 offers so far from Keele, Northumbria, Liverpool and Leeds just 2 weeks after sending off my application ^_^
I am waiting to hear from Newcastle :smile:

what about you??
I've gotten 4 offers so far from Keele, Northumbria, Liverpool and Leeds just 2 weeks after sending off my application ^_^
I am waiting to hear from Newcastle :smile:

what about you??

Ive gotten all mine :smile: but I feel like I won't get in with all exams I've got in such a short space of time! And I can't decide where to go haha, so indecisive!
Ive gotten all mine :smile: but I feel like I won't get in with all exams I've got in such a short space of time! And I can't decide where to go haha, so indecisive!

Congrats!
You mean A2 exams? ugh tell me about it :frown:
LOL I know how you feel, I am the most indecisive person on earth xD
Congrats!
You mean A2 exams? ugh tell me about it :frown:
LOL I know how you feel, I am the most indecisive person on earth xD

Indeed, 11 in 14 school days :frown:
I'm ridiculously indecisive it's not even funny haha
Indeed, 11 in 14 school days :frown:
I'm ridiculously indecisive it's not even funny haha

wow that's a lot!
i have 8 exams in total and a chemistry and psychology exam clash
ugh i remember in AS I had 2 morning clashes of classics and psychology, non-stop writing for 3 hours damn that's such a pain! idk how i did it! lol
Although it's not the same thing (generally involves more medication rather than psychotherapy), I'll tell you one career which is in a similar field but not competitive at all: Psychiatry. Seriously, there's always a chronic shortage of Psychiatrists - at the moment about 1/6 of Consultant posts are unfilled. It's always one of the least competitive medical specialties. A couple of my course mates want to go into Psychiatry and they always get so much encouragement from their Consultants because the speciality is so desperate to attract more applicants
wow that's a lot!
i have 8 exams in total and a chemistry and psychology exam clash
ugh i remember in AS I had 2 morning clashes of classics and psychology, non-stop writing for 3 hours damn that's such a pain! idk how i did it! lol

I had two gcse and an AS exam on same day in year 11 so had to be in isolation for the day :frown: I know what you mean hahah. I can't think about this years exams, makes me feel sick!

Quick Reply

Latest