The Student Room Group

psychology bachelors degree

Heyyy guys im in first yr of college and im going to be applying to universities soon. I’m confused whether to apply for psychology to later on becoming a clinical psychologist or optometry at university. I do chemistry, biology and maths a levels.
Original post by ashhhhhyyyyyyyyy
Heyyy guys im in first yr of college and im going to be applying to universities soon. I’m confused whether to apply for psychology to later on becoming a clinical psychologist or optometry at university. I do chemistry, biology and maths a levels.

Confused in what way? Can you be more specific?

You do a MOptom degree to become an optician. You do a BPS accredited degree to become a clinical psychologist.
If you are not sure and did an optemetry degree, you can do BPS accredited postgrad degree to become work to become a psychologist.
If you did a BPS accredited undergrad and want to later to do optometry, you would need to do a second undergrad in optometry (MOptom) to work your way to become an optician.

Your A Levels would meet the subject requirements for pretty much any degree in optometry or psychology in the country.

Hiya! I'm Fatiha, a second-year psychology student.

I get that making a decision like that is hard sometimes! Personally, I was unsure whether to pursue psychology or a different field. I think it's important to weigh the pros and cons of each career, and finding out which one appeals mostly to you. What career are you most drawn to, and what you would find yourself enjoying more?

If you had any questions about being a psychology student, I'm happy to give some insight :smile:

- Fatiha, Cardiff Uni Student Rep
Original post by CardiffUni Rep 2
Hiya! I'm Fatiha, a second-year psychology student.

I get that making a decision like that is hard sometimes! Personally, I was unsure whether to pursue psychology or a different field. I think it's important to weigh the pros and cons of each career, and finding out which one appeals mostly to you. What career are you most drawn to, and what you would find yourself enjoying more?

If you had any questions about being a psychology student, I'm happy to give some insight :smile:

heyyy thank you for replying I wanted to ask what is it like studying psychology…do you find it fun….also in exams do you just do essays and is there any practical work
heyyy thank you for replying I wanted to ask what is it like studying psychology…do you find it fun….also in exams do you just do essays and is there any practical work

No worries! It's really interesting, I've really enjoyed my second year. First year is interesting, although you cover all the core stuff like research methods and statistics so some students find it a bit less interesting, but overall yes - I would say its fun - I like going to the lectures!

Honestly it depends on the module and the university. For statistics, you don't need to do any essays, but for more psychology-themed modules, you do. Its usually half of the exam, the other half is multiple choice questions. But that's really only for my course at Cardiff University, other unis might be a bit different! Have you thought about where you want to study yet?

When it comes to practical work, yes we do get a lot of practical stuff :smile: So we do practicals (basically psychological experiments) that we work on with a group, usually, for most modules.

(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest