The Student Room Group

A2 psychology OCR G543 revision thread 2014

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows how to structure the section B questions? Like how many points, whether to use PEE etc? As my teacher never taught us. Any help would be great, thankyou!! :biggrin:
Original post by alicja_p
I did this, we didn't do the justice thing for forensic psych and I didn't know anything about interviewing witnesses! So I only did question 1 for forensic and made sure I wrote the 3 I actually did really well

Thats good but how many marks do you think you'll get? Or even what grade? Coz I was so stupid I got interwieing witnesses confused with interviewing suspects!!?? OH WHYYY! DO u think I lost 25 marks? Coz both sections, I put in the wrong study ?

WILL I GET A MARK FOR MENTIONING FISHER et al THOUGH? Owwhh :frown:
Original post by oliviahartley
What points did people make on section b - ecological validity question of interviewing witnesses?

Got interviewing witnesses confused with interviewing suspects??!! HOW CUD I? I wrote loads though.. Donno if I'lll get a mark for mentioning Fisher.. ? :frown:
Original post by GeorgiaMc
Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows how to structure the section B questions? Like how many points, whether to use PEE etc? As my teacher never taught us. Any help would be great, thankyou!! :biggrin:

Hey!
(a) Briefly outline ... approach to psychology
Jus explain the term and write a good para on how it links to psych

(b) Describe two pieces of research that use ... approach to psychology?
One piece of research ... Explain study... Results... Why is it linked to this approach

Another piece of research ... AND JUS REPEAT THE ABOVE

(c) Strengths and limitations?
Point ... example ... comment (x4) - 2 strengths and 2 weaknesses normally

(d) Comparing two approaches?
Point ... eg 1 ... eg 2 (similarly.. ) ..conclusion
Point ... eg 1 ... eg 2 (by way of contrast) ... conclusion

(e) PEE (x3) ... COUNTER ARGUMENT (however..)

Hope I helped :biggrin: Goodluck! :biggrin:
Original post by GorgeousGlamour
Thats good but how many marks do you think you'll get? Or even what grade? Coz I was so stupid I got interwieing witnesses confused with interviewing suspects!!?? OH WHYYY! DO u think I lost 25 marks? Coz both sections, I put in the wrong study ?

WILL I GET A MARK FOR MENTIONING FISHER et al THOUGH? Owwhh :frown:

I usually get 10/10 for part As and 12/15 for part Bs, so I'm hoping that the same will be true this time and I'll get 66, which if the grade boundaries are low enough, can still be an A.

If you outright answered it wrong, as in went off about interviewing suspects, you might lose the marks entirely as it shows you didn't read the question, but if you used the wrong studies but skewed them to work with interviewing witnesses you might get some marks.
Original post by GorgeousGlamour
Got interviewing witnesses confused with interviewing suspects??!! HOW CUD I? I wrote loads though.. Donno if I'lll get a mark for mentioning Fisher.. ? :frown:

Aw don't worry, it's easily done!! I'm sure you'll get some consideration :biggrin:
Original post by oliviahartley
Aw don't worry, it's easily done!! I'm sure you'll get some consideration :biggrin:

Owwhh :frown: IDK Olivia.. I hope so.. I talked about the wrong study though aahh.. Oh well, goodluck for tomoro everyone! :biggrin:
How many marks would you need on average for an A in the G543 paper?
Does anyone have access to the Mark Schemes for unit 3&4 that have been released?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ExamTime17
Does anyone have access to the Mark Schemes for unit 3&4 that have been released?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was convinced they only came out on the 13th along with the grade boundaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by leanne1996
I was convinced they only came out on the 13th along with the grade boundaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile

the MS are out just not released to us so I was just wondering if anyone's teacher had given them access to it

Posted from TSR Mobile
I GOT AN A* WHAT THE HELL THANKYOU OCR

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE! We worked our butts off for these exams so whatever result, be proud :biggrin:
Original post by ttreb
i got an a* what the hell thankyou ocr

good luck to everyone! We worked our butts off for these exams so whatever result, be proud :d

I got an a* too. I was so surprised.

Congratulations :biggrin:
Please can anyone help me on part b questions, what are we supposed to include in them, I'm so confused, our teacher doesn't tell us anything.
Original post by sarah263
Please can anyone help me on part b questions, what are we supposed to include in them, I'm so confused, our teacher doesn't tell us anything.

Hey my teachers were pretty useless teaching us the technique, so i learnt it off a youtube vid. This is how I do it, may not necessarily work for everyone but i get 12-15/15 marks

Part B is a continuation of Part A but this is where we look at the choices the psychologists have made. Now what I've come to figure out is that these psychologists have degrees and and stuff so they're not making mistakes lol, they're making necessary compromises due to time, money and access.

e.g Generalisability, so they've chosen an ungeneralisable sample, but why? If we as A level students know not to use a sample like that, why would they as qualified psychologists do that? maybe due to the lack of access of other participants from other continents, the cost of flying them over or the cost of going to them. Also imagine how long the experiment or study would take if they were to make it generalisable. REGARDLESS still something to criticise!

So that's just something to keep in mind! not very important but still.

Part B is asking us to consider issues and debates and they'll give you a topic to help you explain your point. So you do the whole P.E.E from that topic to make your points.

Each question they give you has an issue/debate and a topic.
e.g Evaluate the use of longitudinal research when considering upbringing as an explanation of crime = Longtitudinal studies (so your issue/debate) and they want you to use Upbringing (Topic) as an example to explain your points. (Upbringing: Disrupted families Farrington/Disadvantaged neighbourhoods - Wilkstrom/Learning from others - Sutherland)

o
k so we know what we have to do, We've dissected the question up but how do we begin? This is the difficult part, you've got to get into an essay structure/technique. Once you have a solid structure, all you do is swap Issues and topics in and out.

Intro - Just a brief into about your /issue/debate/approaches and how it links to your topics, background on the study - It was pretty hard for me at first because I wouldn't read around the study. Everyone does introductions differently so I'll leave you to to do what suits you.

This is the main body, talk about what's right/wrong with the issue.
Issues 1 -
Example 1 (PEE)
Link back to the question

Issue 2
Example 2 (PEE)
Link back

issue 3 (If theres time)
Example 3 (PEE)
Link back

So the issue here is the use of Longitudinal study, when considering upbringing as an explanation of crime I'm going to criticise is it in one paragraph saying it's time consuming and people will drop out of the study eventually. And this was the case in Farrington's study, and then I'm going to give the data or the actual statistics. So I've done that, now what? Well it will have an affect on the overall study so say how, so here it's affecting the validity. and then finally link it back to the question. So this shows that the use longitudinal studies when considering upbringing as an explanation of crime is........... blah blah blah

and then conclude!
Reply 1155
Does anyone have or know the questions on the June 2014 ocr g543 for forensic and health ?? Plzz
Reply 1156
hi, anyone got any more resources for 2016 exams? or anything else that can be useful? would appreciate it!
Reply 1157
Any predictions for the upcoming paper anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1158
Original post by Tahera2013
Hey my teachers were pretty useless teaching us the technique, so i learnt it off a youtube vid. This is how I do it, may not necessarily work for everyone but i get 12-15/15 marks

Part B is a continuation of Part A but this is where we look at the choices the psychologists have made. Now what I've come to figure out is that these psychologists have degrees and and stuff so they're not making mistakes lol, they're making necessary compromises due to time, money and access.

e.g Generalisability, so they've chosen an ungeneralisable sample, but why? If we as A level students know not to use a sample like that, why would they as qualified psychologists do that? maybe due to the lack of access of other participants from other continents, the cost of flying them over or the cost of going to them. Also imagine how long the experiment or study would take if they were to make it generalisable. REGARDLESS still something to criticise!

So that's just something to keep in mind! not very important but still.

Part B is asking us to consider issues and debates and they'll give you a topic to help you explain your point. So you do the whole P.E.E from that topic to make your points.

Each question they give you has an issue/debate and a topic.
e.g Evaluate the use of longitudinal research when considering upbringing as an explanation of crime = Longtitudinal studies (so your issue/debate) and they want you to use Upbringing (Topic) as an example to explain your points. (Upbringing: Disrupted families Farrington/Disadvantaged neighbourhoods - Wilkstrom/Learning from others - Sutherland)

ok so we know what we have to do, We've dissected the question up but how do we begin? This is the difficult part, you've got to get into an essay structure/technique. Once you have a solid structure, all you do is swap Issues and topics in and out.

Intro - Just a brief into about your /issue/debate/approaches and how it links to your topics, background on the study - It was pretty hard for me at first because I wouldn't read around the study. Everyone does introductions differently so I'll leave you to to do what suits you.

This is the main body, talk about what's right/wrong with the issue.
Issues 1 -
Example 1 (PEE)
Link back to the question

Issue 2
Example 2 (PEE)
Link back

issue 3 (If theres time)
Example 3 (PEE)
Link back

So the issue here is the use of Longitudinal study, when considering upbringing as an explanation of crime I'm going to criticise is it in one paragraph saying it's time consuming and people will drop out of the study eventually. And this was the case in Farrington's study, and then I'm going to give the data or the actual statistics. So I've done that, now what? Well it will have an affect on the overall study so say how, so here it's affecting the validity. and then finally link it back to the question. So this shows that the use longitudinal studies when considering upbringing as an explanation of crime is........... blah blah blah

and then conclude!

You legend
Hi guys ,
For the criminal thinking patterns questions as well as writing about yochelson and samenow , I also mentioned Sutherland ! I said how he states criminals are driven by laws they see as favourable and unfavourable whereas normal individuals are driven by family and finance . As a result criminals thinking is based on unfavourable laws and This can explain why they make break laws. Does that sound like it will
Pick up a few marks ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending