The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Education..QTS

Scroll to see replies

Original post by buchanan700
Sure. :smile: The things you should be prepared for are mainly questions about yourself in the one-on-one, at least that was the case in mine.

How does the experience that you have relate to the course and how did help you? I.e. I was asked about the voluntary work that I did in a college facility for young adults with Asperger's syndrome and autism. I said that it was interesting to see where SEN (Special Educational Needs) pupils in any school I am in, might eventually go and what type of difficulties will usualy be retained, or something along those lines. If you've done a degree already, don't just rattle on about the specific subject you did - how could you relate your experience/ use it to help you in your course?

Strengths and weaknesses areas for development - do not undervalue yourself! Really sell what you have learned, what skills you've proved you have - are you an organised person? A punctual person? More importantly, how can you prove this. Do a PEE. Point, Evidence, Explain. Avoid using phrases like 'I got on with the kids' if you have had experience in a school. Instead you might say, 'I developed a mutual respect'. In other words try to sound more professional. If you have any areas of development, do say what steps you have taken to improve. I.e. I've been keeping a diary to help with organisational skills.

There also might be some questions relating to what you know about current educational issues/ developments, of which there are a ton right now.
Just try not to include bias in your answer unless they ask for an opinion, in which case keep professional :wink:
http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storyCode=6318730
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23222068

Finally, relax, think before you speak. Also, take in mind I am not doing a PGCE, I'm doing a 3 year, BA (hons) so don't take my advice alone, but this is generally the sorts of things people get asked.

Thanks, that was very helpful x
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Hey,
I had my interview a few weeks ago for BCU, and trust me, there's nothing to worry about, it was all really relaxed, and in the group section, you're working together rather than against each other. I personally didn't think the group discussion or the maths test (which is harder than I expected) went very well for me, there's also a written task and you basically rewrite your personal statement. I think the interview went very well, the lady who interviewed me was lovely, it felt like a chat rather than an interview. They responded to me within 5 days and gave me a lowered offer because of my exceptional performance on the day. Good luck! x
Reply 22
Original post by browniegirlx
Hey,
I had my interview a few weeks ago for BCU, and trust me, there's nothing to worry about, it was all really relaxed, and in the group section, you're working together rather than against each other. I personally didn't think the group discussion or the maths test (which is harder than I expected) went very well for me, there's also a written task and you basically rewrite your personal statement. I think the interview went very well, the lady who interviewed me was lovely, it felt like a chat rather than an interview. They responded to me within 5 days and gave me a lowered offer because of my exceptional performance on the day. Good luck! x

Ahh well done. Can I ask what the offer was? I'm doing an access course and have heard about people getting different offers. X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zozo1990
Ahh well done. Can I ask what the offer was? I'm doing an access course and have heard about people getting different offers. X

Posted from TSR Mobile

My offer was 280 points rather than 300, I have no idea about the access courses I'm afraid. Have you had an interview?
Reply 24
My offer was 280 points rather than 300, I have no idea about the access courses I'm afraid. Have you had an interview?

I've got my interview next Wednesday, so am getting nervous now but excited as well. X

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've got my interview next Wednesday, so am getting nervous now but excited as well. X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah you'll have to let me know how it goes! Good luck x
Reply 26
Ah you'll have to let me know how it goes! Good luck x

I've jus had my offer come through I've got a place 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've jus had my offer come through I've got a place 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay well done!!! x

Quick Reply