The Student Room Group

Quitting QTS element of primary education degree

Hi,

I am in the last two weeks of my last school placement. I missed my first placement due to covid disruption so everything is condensed into this placement.

I have decided to drop QTS because I can’t see myself pursuing teaching as a career. I’m always depressed, tired and get hardly any sleep. The pressure is too high and I feel suffocated. I’ve been off with Covid and am due to go back to complete the last couple of weeks but I just don’t want to go back. While being off with Covid, I actually felt like I’ve come out of an educational jail. I just can’t keep up with the workload and it’ll only get worse in ECT.

The tutors and my family are saying I’m nearly there and are persuading me to finish the course, but am I nearly there? I’ve got 2 years of ECT after this which will be even more work and stress.

I’d like some useful advice from anyone that’s willing to provide it. I will still graduate with a primary education degree so will this go to waste?
Original post by Twinkle121
Hi,

I am in the last two weeks of my last school placement. I missed my first placement due to covid disruption so everything is condensed into this placement.

I have decided to drop QTS because I can’t see myself pursuing teaching as a career. I’m always depressed, tired and get hardly any sleep. The pressure is too high and I feel suffocated. I’ve been off with Covid and am due to go back to complete the last couple of weeks but I just don’t want to go back. While being off with Covid, I actually felt like I’ve come out of an educational jail. I just can’t keep up with the workload and it’ll only get worse in ECT.

The tutors and my family are saying I’m nearly there and are persuading me to finish the course, but am I nearly there? I’ve got 2 years of ECT after this which will be even more work and stress.

I’d like some useful advice from anyone that’s willing to provide it. I will still graduate with a primary education degree so will this go to waste?

If you only have two weeks of placement left, I would really recommend trying to push through. You don't have to go into teaching immediately after getting QTS, and it may be that you never do want to go into teaching. But you might find that after a couple of years working in another industry, you want to return to teaching, and if you already have QTS then that will be far easier to do.

However, you know yourself best. If even just these two weeks will take a serious toll on your mental health, then don't force yourself to breaking point.
Reply 2
Original post by bluebeetle
If you only have two weeks of placement left, I would really recommend trying to push through. You don't have to go into teaching immediately after getting QTS, and it may be that you never do want to go into teaching. But you might find that after a couple of years working in another industry, you want to return to teaching, and if you already have QTS then that will be far easier to do.

However, you know yourself best. If even just these two weeks will take a serious toll on your mental health, then don't force yourself to breaking point.

The thing is that it might extend beyond 2 weeks because I’ve had time off and will need to build up my teaching percentage again. This might mean I have to also do more weeks in January after Christmas which might mean I’m placed in a different school and my graduation will be delayed till November 2022. I’ll end up graduating a whole year later than I should have all for a career that is causing me to become extremely unwell.

It feels like a prison sentence. I don’t think I will ever even think about a career in teaching because the thought of it makes me ill. I’ve got insomnia, a churning feeling in my stomach and I feel very miserable.

Holding QTS isn’t sufficient. I will have to complete an induction of 2 years full time to fully qualify and I can’t see myself ever doing that. If I did decide to fo it three years down the line, it is unlikely that I’ll be appointed because I’ve had such a long gap. I’d have to build those skills again which will cause me even more anxiety.

Would you say it’s time to call it a day?
The thing is that it might extend beyond 2 weeks because I’ve had time off and will need to build up my teaching percentage again. This might mean I have to also do more weeks in January after Christmas which might mean I’m placed in a different school and my graduation will be delayed till November 2022. I’ll end up graduating a whole year later than I should have all for a career that is causing me to become extremely unwell.

It feels like a prison sentence. I don’t think I will ever even think about a career in teaching because the thought of it makes me ill. I’ve got insomnia, a churning feeling in my stomach and I feel very miserable.

Holding QTS isn’t sufficient. I will have to complete an induction of 2 years full time to fully qualify and I can’t see myself ever doing that. If I did decide to fo it three years down the line, it is unlikely that I’ll be appointed because I’ve had such a long gap. I’d have to build those skills again which will cause me even more anxiety.

Would you say it’s time to call it a day?

You say 'it might extend beyond 2 weeks'. I would speak to somebody at the uni and ascertain exactly what your route forward looks like if you stick with the QTS. If it will delay your graduation and you definitely don't want to teach, then it's probably the right thing to drop it.

It sounds like the current situation is causing you a lot of anxiety, but it's important to try to take a step back and look at it from a long-term perspective. If you can gain QTS in 2 weeks, then it's still probably worth doing - it just leaves your options open. In a few years, you might not feel the same way about teaching, and having QTS makes it feasible to come back. I know you say the long gap makes you unlikely the find employment, but there are ways around that - for example, taking on a smaller role in a school for a year before applying for a class teacher role. However, if you drop out of the QTS now, it would be a lot harder to get into teaching again down the line.

Have you thought about what it is that's making you so stressed about teaching? From your first post, it sounds like your current placement is the only one you've been on, and it's been condensed. It could be that it's just your current school that doesn't agree with you, or that the condensed format of the placements is making it more stressful. Obviously you know best, but it's important that you think really carefully about whether dropping out at this late stage is the best decision for your future. Like I said above - you should make sure you speak to people at uni about your options so you are making an informed decision.
Im feeling this, ive just finished my undergraduate with no qts nothing. I already volunteer at schools and after a qts interview today and what they expect from me i don't know what to do. (Along side my corsework, lesson planning, classroom prep, professional development training, parental meetings, staff meetings, school trips etc i have to also help/prepare any school activities such as all productions, school fares, and have to run a school club) i literally dont think i have enough time in the day already doing uni work and being a TA and working part time how am i meant to do all that.
Original post by Teachertrain
Im feeling this, ive just finished my undergraduate with no qts nothing. I already volunteer at schools and after a qts interview today and what they expect from me i don't know what to do. (Along side my corsework, lesson planning, classroom prep, professional development training, parental meetings, staff meetings, school trips etc i have to also help/prepare any school activities such as all productions, school fares, and have to run a school club) i literally dont think i have enough time in the day already doing uni work and being a TA and working part time how am i meant to do all that.
Did you study Primary education with QTS and not choose to do the qts part?
Hi,

Hi, what did you do in the end? I’m considering dropping QTS too
Original post by Teachertrain
Hi, did you choose to drop QTS? I’m studying primary ed with QTS and I’m looking to drop it but I’m not sure if it’s an option

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending