The Student Room Group

Portable Speaker Advice - large hall/busking.

Hey guys.

I'm looking for some portable Ipod speakers to play music whilst busking (it's not a musical act). It doesn't need to be crazy loud, but I would like it relatively loud, so passers by can hear it at a decent level.

I'm looking to spend around £40-80.

If anyone could give me some advise as to what type of speakers/ what criteria I should look for in the speakers, like how do I judge the sound level , from what I can see in the specifications of most products, the power output seems to be the only way or...

that'll be greatly appreciated !

Thanks !!
Reply 1
Anything sold as ipod speakers probably won't be loud enough for outdoor use. You'll be looking for something that's mains powered and a reasonable size - The key to it being heard is how well it can move air.

This is probably the sort of thing you're looking for www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231111387843 (For the people that know, yes I know it's Behringer)

Walking around a town/city centre and seeing what other buskers are doing could give an idea of what you need. If they're taking a break they might be prepared to talk to you about what they've tried and what they've found to work.

Also if you're playing music to an audience be aware that you might need a PPL and/or PRS licence.
Reply 2
You can get a portable amp, the one I use is 15W Crate (thats the brand). If you are going to amp up please keep it down for the buskers who are playing music, because the worst thing for a musician is being overpowered by a cd player. I've also heard you can get a 20W amp from rainbow music near the wellgate, been told it costs £80 but not certain.
Reply 3
found this link while searching about dundee so assuming thats where you are planning to busk(also where rainbow music is)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending