The Student Room Group

History and Law graduates what is your job?

I just want to see which degree is more employable and I'm curious what kind of careers people went into.

If you could also list your Uni that would be great :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by StarkRob
I just want to see which degree is more employable and I'm curious what kind of careers people went into.

definitely Law because you'll have a more secure and defined career. You can work as an independent lawyer, or in a consulting/advisory firm, in banks, in chambers or courts.
Some people even claim that History is a dead end degree, but if you love it, do it. Many jobs nowadays are very flexible with degrees.
Original post by StarkRob

Don't pick your course solely on the basis of what you're told is the 'most employable'. There's a lot of competition in the job market after both courses. Do what you enjoy.

With history, you can convert to law after you graduate if you wanted to go into that or you could go into a completely different field such as charity/PR/journalism. These are all equally as competitive as getting into a law firm. If you want to secure your chances of getting a job then do lots of internships and work experience in the field you want to go into and make lots of contacts through the networking events organised by your uni. Whatever you decide to do, don't base your employment prospects solely on the basis of the course you do.

Edit: I'm going to kcl next year to do English. I know it's not the course you put down but people who do English and history tend to go down similar routes and I also know a lot of people who have done/are doing law degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending