The Student Room Group

Is law an in demand degree?

I’m considering taking law in Sheffield. However I’ve heard people say it’s really hard to get a job after you graduate since so many people take it? Apparently those who graduate mostly go into paralegal jobs, which are also really hard to get.
So I just wanted to know if previous graduates managed to get jobs as a solicitor? And are current students finding it hard to find work experience or jobs?
Original post by MkhaStudent12
I’m considering taking law in Sheffield. However I’ve heard people say it’s really hard to get a job after you graduate since so many people take it? Apparently those who graduate mostly go into paralegal jobs, which are also really hard to get.
So I just wanted to know if previous graduates managed to get jobs as a solicitor? And are current students finding it hard to find work experience or jobs?
Hi there,

I am currently a law student at the University of Kent graduating this year. Great to hear that you're starting to consider your career options.

As you rightly noted, law can be quite a competitive degree, and it is difficult to secure jobs after graduation due to the high number of students and competitiveness amongst the industry. Early career work experience will also be quite difficult to find as there is early competitions since year one of entering law school.

However, studying law can lead to rewarding careers, whether that is financially or morally. Actually, a lot of students will take a paralegal route after graduation, because we require two more years of further studying to become a solicitor. You can find more information by Googling the SQE exams, you may also find more information about this on the SRA websites. I think it takes a minimum of five years to qualify as a solicitor, provided you can obtain legal work experience of the graduating from a law degree.

Contrasting this to other careers, although it may take longer to qualify as a solicitor, the job may come with quite a lot of perks, and if it's something you enjoy, you should not be dissuaded from pursuing a career in law. There are many ways to boost your CV, an enhancing skills to make your application stand out. I think regardless of your degree, you will be working up the ladder after you graduate, no one will be able to jump right into their ideal job. Make sure to research different sectors for really, as i think this will help you make an informed decision.

Sheffield is a Russell Group university, which is quite attractive to different law firms. I think law firms tend to favour Oxbridge and Russel Group Universities when it comes to applications, combined with a high achieving grade, it is definitely possible for you to get into a good law career.

What interests you in becoming a lawyer? If you have any other questions, I will be happy to answer them, or provide insights into what it is like to study law.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending