The Student Room Group

Is uni a waste of time?

My brother in law and my elder sister both went to uni and didn’t get a job in the degree they got and in the end my brother in law ended up being a security guard and my sister works as a cashier even though she got a degree in marketing. My other sisters‘ friend went to uni and she ended up looking for an apprenticeship and is in the same position as my sister (that sister didn’t go to uni). I feel like rarely people get a job in the degree they are qualified in.

Of course there are people who got a job in their field of expertise like an eating disorder therapist Or a doctor. Or could it be because my sister and her husband and my other sisters friend did a btec at college? Whereas doctors and eating disorder therapists obviously studied A levels.

Scroll to see replies

it could be the btecs, mainly because companies want people who they think look academically smarter but if your siblings went higher with uni and the course, it would have been a differet outcome
Unless you are studying law or medicine/sciences/mathematics then yes it’s useless
Original post by Anonymous
My brother in law and my elder sister both went to uni and didn’t get a job in the degree they got and in the end my brother in law ended up being a security guard and my sister works as a cashier even though she got a degree in marketing. My other sisters‘ friend went to uni and she ended up looking for an apprenticeship and is in the same position as my sister (that sister didn’t go to uni). I feel like rarely people get a job in the degree they are qualified in.

Of course there are people who got a job in their field of expertise like an eating disorder therapist Or a doctor. Or could it be because my sister and her husband and my other sisters friend did a btec at college? Whereas doctors and eating disorder therapists obviously studied A levels.

Nope. . Uni is definitely a wate of time. . . An apprenticeship will be better for you
Trust me
It might help if you told us what courses they did and their final grade?
Reply 5
Original post by MedicWil
It might help if you told us what courses they did and their final grade?

Not sure what my brother in law did but my sister that went to uni did a btec in business and finance and then went to uni to study marketing and my other sisters friend is studying psychosocial studies at uni. They have all studied btecs at college but I don’t know what they did.
Reply 6
Not sure about the grades either
I think it comes down to the degree. My sister is a childrens nurse but before she studied nursing she studied animal behaviour and welfare. Her GCSE's were not great and she did not have A levels only a BTEC. After her degree she tried for a year to get a job but no one told her that there are not loads of jobs in the animal world and that not everyone will get jobs. She then decided to go back to uni and study children nursing. She got a job 2 months after graduating and is very happy in her job. Shes now glad she never got an animal job as she said shes more happier as a nurse looking after children than she was looking after animals.

Im studying medicine and there are 2 people on my course without A levels and instead have access to higher education in medicine. Then a friend who was on the graduate medicine course only has 3 GCSE maths , English and science all at a C and she has a access to higher education in health and a degree in physio she is now working and is a FY2 DR. So A levels are not important.

People who study degrees like nursing , medicine, Physio ect are more likley to get a job. On my course theres also a guy who studied law but got no were so he is now studying medicine.
Original post by Thisplace
Nope. . Uni is definitely a wate of time. . . An apprenticeship will be better for you
Trust me

its not a waste of time if your studying medicine, Physio,Nursing ect otherwise yes its a waste of time. One of my lectuers had a first degree in primary education but could never get a job after teacher training so went on to do graduate medicine and is now a lecturer in medicine.
Uni is a gamble and not a guarantee.. you are being sold a dream that might or might not come true.

Potentially to do with the course they did, the uni they went to and the grade they got. Going to uni doesn't mean you'll get a good job but it makes it more likely.
Original post by Sara Ellingham
I think it comes down to the degree. My sister is a childrens nurse but before she studied nursing she studied animal behaviour and welfare. Her GCSE's were not great and she did not have A levels only a BTEC. After her degree she tried for a year to get a job but no one told her that there are not loads of jobs in the animal world and that not everyone will get jobs. She then decided to go back to uni and study children nursing. She got a job 2 months after graduating and is very happy in her job. Shes now glad she never got an animal job as she said shes more happier as a nurse looking after children than she was looking after animals.

Im studying medicine and there are 2 people on my course without A levels and instead have access to higher education in medicine. Then a friend who was on the graduate medicine course only has 3 GCSE maths , English and science all at a C and she has a access to higher education in health and a degree in physio she is now working and is a FY2 DR. So A levels are not important.

People who study degrees like nursing , medicine, Physio ect are more likley to get a job. On my course theres also a guy who studied law but got no were so he is now studying medicine.

I don't think you can fully conclude from that that A-Levels aren't important!!! More like A-Levels generally make things easier for you, but there are other ways of achieving things.
Original post by ThuggerThugger
Uni is a gamble and not a guarantee.. you are being sold a dream that might or might not come true.

So 9 grand debt is a problem for working class families like mine then?
Original post by Serenity-M
Potentially to do with the course they did, the uni they went to and the grade they got. Going to uni doesn't mean you'll get a good job but it makes it more likely.

She went to university of Greenwich
its not a waste of time if your studying medicine, Physio,Nursing ect otherwise yes its a waste of time. One of my lectuers had a first degree in primary education but could never get a job after teacher training so went on to do graduate medicine and is now a lecturer in medicine.

I'm just sayin if its between an apprenticeship or doing a degree. . Apprenticeship wins everytime. .
Obviously if you've got Ur eyes set in a career that can only be obtained via the Uni route fair enough. . But If they have the apprenticeship version available I think this would be better. .
Apprenticeships pros
1.Get paid while youre learning
2. Gain the same skill you woulda got in uni but in a practical based sense.
3. When applying for Jobs in ur chosen career field. . Employers would rather go with the person whos had 4 years experience in the field rather than someone who sat in a lectur hall for the same amount of time.
Improves ur chances of getting employed!!!
When weighing it up next to Uni . . Im afraid University falls down.
1. You Dont get paid for ur time learning there
2. You actually come out in debt afterwards. And with tution fees being like. . What is it now. . 9 grand a year?? Thats 27 000 pound minimum right off the bat. . And that doesnt take into account maintenance loans or longer courses
3. And Finally theres no guarantee of actually gettin a job in the chosen field after getting said degree!!!.

You dont have to go Uni just coz every1 else does. .
I'm just sayin
Food for thought
🤔🤔🤔
Original post by Thisplace
I'm just sayin if its between an apprenticeship or doing a degree. . Apprenticeship wins everytime. .
Obviously if you've got Ur eyes set in a career that can only be obtained via the Uni route fair enough. . But If they have the apprenticeship version available I think this would be better. .
Apprenticeships pros
1.Get paid while youre learning
2. Gain the same skill you woulda got in uni but in a practical based sense.
3. When applying for Jobs in ur chosen career field. . Employers would rather go with the person whos had 4 years experience in the field rather than someone who sat in a lectur hall for the same amount of time.
Improves ur chances of getting employed!!!
When weighing it up next to Uni . . Im afraid University falls down.
1. You Dont get paid for ur time learning there
2. You actually come out in debt afterwards. And with tution fees being like. . What is it now. . 9 grand a year?? Thats 27 000 pound minimum right off the bat. . And that doesnt take into account maintenance loans or longer courses
3. And Finally theres no guarantee of actually gettin a job in the chosen field after getting said degree!!!.

You dont have to go Uni just coz every1 else does. .
I'm just sayin
Food for thought
🤔🤔🤔

P.s I went to uni for 5 years

Do you know what I'm sayin sara. . .

Well what do you want study? What course are you on now?
Some courses lead directly to professional jobs others don't.
If you are doing BTEC applied sciences/ potentially health and social you could get a place to study dietetics (and then become dietitian).
OR, you may even be able to get a place on a gateway to med course.
OR, although it's along shot, some clinical sciences course offer a transfer to med after 1st year.

I would say though don't go down the psychology route if you value been guaranteed a job. While getting on the degree course maybe relatively easy, getting a place on the next 'stage' of training to become an actual psychologist is insanely competitive.
I hate threads like this because what people think is their degree title must be = to a job with their degree title in and most don't know how to apply their degree into a variety of a sectors. It's not a black or white case. And there are so many factors to consider as to why some people find work post graduation and others don't. Or course with medicine yes if you are successful you will be able to find work but the demand for doctors will always be there and especially now more with brexit limiting the number of overseas doctors.

Here a few examples based on people I know : two people do a film degree, one remains unemployed for 2 years after the other has found lots of work and projects to produce in. The difference here is during the degree, one person applied themselves more and got really engaged with the industry throughout their course and one didn't.

Someone graduates with a degree in graphic design, works hard on their portfolio. First job post graduation is 25k PA. Factor here is selling yourself well.

I for example did not find relevant work experience throughout my degree in economics but because of the work I produced and the recommendations I got I've been able to work on research projects.

Sometimes it is just bad luck. The important thing is to have some sort of enjoyment to your degree and for degrees where the job market is smaller you have to know it's gonna take more effort to find work.
Original post by physicsamor
I hate threads like this because what people think is their degree title must be = to a job with their degree title in and most don't know how to apply their degree into a variety of a sectors. It's not a black or white case. And there are so many factors to consider as to why some people find work post graduation and others don't. Or course with medicine yes if you are successful you will be able to find work but the demand for doctors will always be there and especially now more with brexit limiting the number of overseas doctors.

Here a few examples based on people I know : two people do a film degree, one remains unemployed for 2 years after the other has found lots of work and projects to produce in. The difference here is during the degree, one person applied themselves more and got really engaged with the industry throughout their course and one didn't.

Someone graduates with a degree in graphic design, works hard on their portfolio. First job post graduation is 25k PA. Factor here is selling yourself well.

I for example did not find relevant work experience throughout my degree in economics but because of the work I produced and the recommendations I got I've been able to work on research projects.

Sometimes it is just bad luck. The important thing is to have some sort of enjoyment to your degree and for degrees where the job market is smaller you have to know it's gonna take more effort to find work.

In other words. . Do an apprenticeship hahaha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending