The Student Room Group

Law at Liverpool John Moore’s with weak A-level results, job prospects?

Hi everyone, Long story short I didn’t do fantastic in regards to my A-level results I only ended up achieving CCD in politics, English language and history respectfully, this came as somewhat of a shock as I did put effort into my revision. As one might expect given my results my more aspirational choice of university, the University of Liverpool rejected me, however LJMU gave me a place, I can honestly say that I have been very impressed by the helpfulness of LJMU and their excellent campuses/faculties, however I’ve been concerned that given my lower than ideal results and the fact the LJMU isn’t a “top law school” that I may struggle to find a decent firm to take me on after graduation and that I may end up with a degree that doesn’t get me a job. Sorry for the long introduction, but in essence my question is, given my grades and a degree from LJMU will I struggle gaining a job/training contract as a solicitor and subsequently progressing in my career, is it worth me continuing with my studies? Thank you for your time and feel free to be brutally honest
(edited 7 months ago)
It certainly won’t be easy. It also depends on what you’re aiming for. If you’re thinking about the ‘top’ city firms (magic circle, US, etc), your application will probably get binned immediately primarily because of those Alevels. There are a few top city firms which don’t look at Alevels if my memory serves me, but the majority still tend to ask for AAB/ABB and, barring serious mitigating circumstances, your CCD won’t cut it.

There’s also the issue of the university which isn’t a very good one. I would be surprised if there were more than a couple of people from LJMU (if any at all) currently at the top city firms, but that’s not to say it’s impossible. It goes without saying that you’ll probably need a first to even have a chance.

If you’re aiming for less demanding firms (eg high street and some small regional), you’ve probably got a better chance. You’ll likely find yourself having to paralegal and prove yourself for a few years before landing a TC but I think it’s definitely a more viable route.

You should also consider cost impact - can you afford to self fund your SQE examinations? You probably won’t be applying to the sorts of firms which would sponsor your exams so you’ll need to think about whether you can afford it too. It’s a risk because, if you don’t get a job, the SQE serves literally no purpose other than to prepare you as a lawyer.
Reply 2
I have a mate who graduated with a 2i LJMU law in 2009 and works at a magic circle firm having already worked for two.

It took him longer: ten years as a bit of a journeyman doing paralegal stuff and in-house stuff st places like Barclaycard, but he is in a great position now. It's not beyond you if you do well and make good choices.
Thanks for the replies and the honesty, I know I’m going to have my work cut out over the next few years, in all honesty I wasn’t aiming for any city firms or large multi-national ones, my aim is to apply to a decent regional or provincial firm probably in one of the northern cities.
Hi :smile:

Firstly, congratulations on your offer with us and sorry you were disappointed with your A Level results!

Our Law students go on to work at highly-respected firms all across the country, so please don't worry about that!

Also one really great benefit of studying Law at LJMU is our Legal Advice Centre. You will be able to make great connections at some of Liverpool's firms throughout your studies, as well as gaining invaluable experience which will really help when applying for jobs after your studies -
"All LLB Law students have the opportunity to volunteer for the School of Law's Legal Advice Centre, which offers a range of pro bono legal services to residents of Merseyside, including family law, employment law, wills and administration legal issues. The service works closely with solicitor mentors from some of Liverpool's best legal firms, giving students plenty of opportunities to put their legal education into practice while making connections with local practitioners."

https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduates/2024/30578-law-llb-hons

Let me know if you have any questions at all!

Ellen
Liverpool John Moores University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending