The Student Room Group

TSR Darts Society Thread

Scroll to see replies

No Taylor will never get away with that against the likes of Van Guerwen, meanwhile Richie Burnett is beating Mark Winstanley so far.
What an opening night. Part struggling, Wright's outrageous outfit, Szabo looking like a completely different player within one hour and Richie rolling back the years.

Too many 5s and 1s from Szabo in the end but it was to see him have a go. I really didn't fancy him to get much out of the match after his prelim round but when you're forcing Taylor to take out 100+ checkouts then you're playing really well.

I never quite know what to make of Wright. He's the kind of person you don't want to do well because he usually looks a bit of a prat but he's becoming a very good player. He probably doesn't get the credit he deserves because its hard to take him seriously because of his look, much like Mardle. You see these guys and think of eccentricity or entertainment before thinking of their darts which is doing them a disservice.

Shame the last match went on so late as well. It deserved a bigger crowd because it was a very good standard from both players.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TheMagicRat

I never quite know what to make of Wright. He's the kind of person you don't want to do well because he usually looks a bit of a prat but he's becoming a very good player. He probably doesn't get the credit he deserves because its hard to take him seriously because of his look, much like Mardle. You see these guys and think of eccentricity or entertainment before thinking of their darts which is doing them a disservice.

Dart on the Bull there :tongue: Wright's never really been seen as someone who you'd see as a threat in any tournament. Its only since his run to the Semi-Finals to the UK Open in June that people have started to take notice of him properly.

Even in round two it wouldn't shock me if he didn't make the last 16.

Shame the last match went on so late as well. It deserved a bigger crowd because it was a very good standard from both players.

I think it's just how the games end up going. Obviously the first match of the tournament went 23 legs, and all five matches were really competitive which made a nice change even the Wright - Cullen was competitive despite being 3-0 in sets.

Jarkko Komula currently 2 sets up on Mark Walsh in what could be the World Championships' first real upset.
Anyone see all those missed doubles between Kevin McDine and Wayne Jones, about 50 in one leg, McDine got through in the end. Could be a shock on here Per Laursen is beating Terry Jenkins.

Original post by Matthew_Lowson

Jarkko Komula currently 2 sets up on Mark Walsh in what could be the World Championships' first real upset.

Komula took out Walsh in the end.
(edited 10 years ago)
Incredible match this, Per Laursen finishes with a 122, then Terry Jenkins pulls off a 170 finish then a 9 darter, it is 2 all in sets and legs so now the winner has to win by 2 clear legs unless it goes to 5 all.

EDIT: Amazing Per Laursen has done it, Terry Jenkins is gone.
(edited 10 years ago)
No surprise for me Laursen beating Jenkins. The Dane really does have a good record in the World Championships for those who come in at the Prelims, the third time he's reached the Last 32. He very nearly beat Priestley (who was seeded 3rd) in 2007 losing 4-3 having been 3-1 up

It means we have our first confirmed Last 32 match - Wright v Laursen, and a Huge chance for both to make the last 16.
Just looking through the thread from last year, only five non seeded players from the 40 made it through to the second round. So far we've lost three seeds in seven matches.

Notably too, the matches this year have been considerably closer. Nineteen matches were won 3-0 in round one last year. I'd be surprised if more than 10 happened this year
I think it get's closer each year, the standard as definitely gone up and there is more quality out there now.
And just to cap off Terry Jenkins' afternoon, Kyle Anderson makes a nine darter too to take the prize to £15,000
Gutted I missed the session this afternoon. Sounds like a good one.

Original post by Rock Fan
I think it get's closer each year, the standard as definitely gone up and there is more quality out there now.

The standard is so good when you've got players like Anderson doing 9 darters on the big stage and some of the shots Szabo was taking out last night. The game has come a long way since I started watching darts around a decade ago.

I like to say that these days they're all capable of doing great things but only a few are capable of being being great.
Gutted I missed the session this afternoon. Sounds like a good one.

The standard is so good when you've got players like Anderson doing 9 darters on the big stage and some of the shots Szabo was taking out last night. The game has come a long way since I started watching darts around a decade ago.

I like to say that these days they're all capable of doing great things but only a few are capable of being being great.

Absolutely. It shows how far the preliminary round qualifiers have come in the last few years - Before the tournament went to 64 players - the preliminary round players had to win two matches to reach the main stages (i.e. the last 32) one against the international prelim qualifier and then another against one of the players seeded 25-32 - McGarry who lost to Laursen this afternoon was one of them. A few players did well under this system - which saw the matches played as best of 5 sets.

The problem with the Prelims is that they are far too short. Best of 7 Legs has no place in a World Darts Championships and players of the standard shown by Nakagawa and French in 2009 (who both averaged less that 55) [which I think was one of the catalysts for the matches going to best of 7 legs] are long long gone. There should be six prelim matches and make them best of 3 sets (so players are used to the set format). Or if eight's a must, make the matches best of 11 legs or at the very least include the tiebreak rule. Makes no sense playing 63 matches with one rule, but eight matches without it
Tomorrow nights schedule

Sunday December 15 (7pm)
Dave Chisnall 2-3 John Henderson
Dennis Lindskjold 1-4 Colin Osborne (P)
Raymond van Barneveld 3-0 Jamie Lewis
Brendan Dolan 3-0 Colin Osborne
Jamie Caven 3-1 Jelle Klaasen

No Afternoon sessions until Sunday 22nd December now
(edited 10 years ago)
Some good solid darts from Nicholson which was nice to see. Probably the best he's played in quite a while.
Some good solid darts from Nicholson which was nice to see. Probably the best he's played in quite a while.

Him against Whitlock should be a good last 16 game. That said him against Painter will be good in round 2
Reply 34
Original post by Matthew_Lowson
Tomorrow nights schedule

Sunday December 15 (7pm)
Dave Chisnall v John Henderson
Dennis Lindskjold v Colin Osborne (P)
Raymond van Barneveld v Jamie Lewis
Brendan Dolan v Lindskjold/Osborne
Jamie Caven v Jelle Klaasen

No Afternoon sessions until Sunday 22nd December now

looking at tthis I cant see barney losing, dolan could be in for an upset especially if colin osborne gets through and chisnall needs to rediscover his grand prix form and fast! hopefully some good games tonight.
With Chisnall gone that's two of my predicted last 16 out in the first round. Huge credit to Henderson
The line up for Monday night with the Huybrechts brothers battle being probably the most interesting of the five matches

Monday December 16 (7pm)
Ronnie Baxter 0-3 Ricky Evans
Devon Petersen 4-1 Mohammed Latif Sapup (P)
Kim Huybrechts v Ronny Huybrechts
Steve Beaton v Petersen/Sapup
Mervyn King v Darin Young
(edited 10 years ago)
Sapup is crazy but pure entertainment.
All level between the Belgium brothers.
Top draw finishing from Kim to save the set, especially since he wasn't playing very well beforehand.

Quick Reply

Latest