The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

university of reading lgbt/alt/indie culture

so i have an offer for uor, and im wondering what the lgbt/alt/indie culture is like there? at risk of sounding really cringe, i'd struggle to have fun if 90% of the uni is more 'basic' (i've been bullied for it before too so yk), so i'm just wondering what it's like for this there?
Original post by Anonymous #1
so i have an offer for uor, and im wondering what the lgbt/alt/indie culture is like there? at risk of sounding really cringe, i'd struggle to have fun if 90% of the uni is more 'basic' (i've been bullied for it before too so yk), so i'm just wondering what it's like for this there?

Hey Anonymous!

Not cringe at all - it's super important to know you are going to feel welcome and enjoy wherever you are so that is such a valid question!
Reading actually has a lot of LGBTQ+ events going on put on by the student union and through societies all throughout the year and we definitely welcome people from all backgrounds and cultures - I personally feel as though there is a real essence of that welcoming atmosphere on campus, as though it really is a campus for anyone and everyone. We have lots of LGBT+ equality and also wellbeing resources available in a bid to be an all inclusive university that you can find out more about on our website.
You can also find out about more specific events and how Reading works with those communities here.
There are also a number of societies already welcoming LGBTQ+ students, such as the LGBT+ society - click the hyperlink to find out more! - and you could also create your own society if you are looking for a specific Indie/LGBT mixed society if you felt as though that is something the university needs when you arrive!

If you have any specific queries about this or Reading in general, please do ask away. I hope this is helpful in some way, but if you still have questions/concerns, please let us know! We totally get it's a big, important decision to make but we would hope you feel absolutely welcome here and we'd be very excited to welcome you if you decided to join us!

Skye 🙂
4th Year MSci Speech and Language Therapy Student
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Original post by UniofReading

Hey Anonymous!

Not cringe at all - it's super important to know you are going to feel welcome and enjoy wherever you are so that is such a valid question!
Reading actually has a lot of LGBTQ+ events going on put on by the student union and through societies all throughout the year and we definitely welcome people from all backgrounds and cultures - I personally feel as though there is a real essence of that welcoming atmosphere on campus, as though it really is a campus for anyone and everyone. We have lots of LGBT+ equality and also wellbeing resources available in a bid to be an all inclusive university that you can find out more about on our website.
You can also find out about more specific events and how Reading works with those communities here.
There are also a number of societies already welcoming LGBTQ+ students, such as the LGBT+ society - click the hyperlink to find out more! - and you could also create your own society if you are looking for a specific Indie/LGBT mixed society if you felt as though that is something the university needs when you arrive!

If you have any specific queries about this or Reading in general, please do ask away. I hope this is helpful in some way, but if you still have questions/concerns, please let us know! We totally get it's a big, important decision to make but we would hope you feel absolutely welcome here and we'd be very excited to welcome you if you decided to join us!

Skye 🙂
4th Year MSci Speech and Language Therapy Student

Hi Skye sorry to tag along to this conversation but do you know if there is a tsr thread for UOR Offer holders as I haven’t managed to find one Thank you
Original post by michaela001
Hi Skye sorry to tag along to this conversation but do you know if there is a tsr thread for UOR Offer holders as I haven’t managed to find one Thank you

Hi @michaela001,
Unfortunately we don't have an offer holders thread here on TSR, but I would check out the offer holder group on Facebook, which is a more private forum for our offer holders. Also, our email invites for the Offer Holder Days have now started to go out, so if you haven't got one already keep an eye on your inbox! Booking via Me@reading is now live too, so make sure you're checking it. If you have any other questions or queries about the event, you can email [email protected].

Let us know if you have any other questions!
Kat :smile:
MA Diplomacy Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending