The Student Room Group

It is better to choose a degree on the basis of interest rather than job prospects

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think it's kind of two scales (pleasure vs. job prospects) with different combinations that each have a different answer.

If you really like a degree that has horrible job prospects (like arts), but can generally picture yourself doing something else - don't do it. People our age do tend to underestimate how important financial stability can be (not only for you, but for a potential family) and what's the point in not getting a job in your field and not being able to do what you want to anyway?

If you absolutely love this one degree with horrible prospects, if you have a burning passion for it and literally cannot picture yourself doing anything else, well - what's the point in living another life? Go for it, do your best.

Other factors playing into it are, of course, whether you are already pretty good at it (increasing your chances of being successful and getting a related job in the end), your background (could you or your family theoretically afford another degree if after the first one you figure out that it went horribly wrong) etc.

This is really something that everyone has to figure out for himself. Friend of mine is doing law, loves it, gets outstanding grades - he will combine both, a pretty decent salary and a passion. Most people I know though are somewhere in the middle. They like what they are doing and the job prospects are pretty okay.
Reply 21
Career prospects are important, but having passion is far more important. There's no point in slogging through three years of work for a career that employs well but doesn't really interest you. As others have said, if you have a passion for a subject then you'll be more motivated to do the work and you're more likely to get a better grade at the end. As Origami Bullets said above, it's far better to have a 2:1 in a subject you're passionate about than a 2:2 in a subject with good 'career prospects'.

Furthermore, statistics on 'career prospects' can be somewhat misleading. Your degree result and subject is important, but having lots of relevant experience and good references can be equally (if not more) important regardless of your degree title.

I'm so glad I picked mathematics.
In my opinion, I disagree with the OP's statement (unless you wouldn't mind leaving uni with a degree then going into, let's say, McDonalds for the next few years)

I think that choosing a degree that realistically, you could get a good job out of it, you should go for it (obviously, you have to have some interest in it, otherwise you would be wasting your time going to University and doing a degree that you hate and then going into a job that takes up most of your time and it doesn't feel worth it in the end)

So, really, you need to be motivated enough (have a small interest in it) to do the degree and also have good job prospects as well.
Reply 24
I'm doing History so I have so argue yes. You might think a few years of boredom and hard slog is a small sacrifice to make when you're applying to uni and can only see the appeal of your life post-graudation, but you would not believe how many miserable people I've met at uni who really don't like their degrees at all (and by miserable I mean crying on my shoulder whilst drunk about how much they hate their degrees) so unless you want to be that person... for love love of god spend your money on a subject that academically stimulates you and genuinely interests you, because it's going to be your life for three years.
I've applied for a degree that I know I'm going to love and because I want a job in that field. Just worrying that the jobs are quite limited, so sometimes it does require a balance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I chose Maths and Economics because I'm A. Better at it than anything else and B. Going to be employable as hell. Enjoyment didn't come into my decision.
Reply 27
if you dont enjoy it your probably gonna get a bad mark so its worse anyway
Am doing a degree in physical education QTS but am training too be a PE teacher. If I can get through four years of study and come out with a 2.1 and at least a good on teachers standards. At least am training towards a career and will hopefully have skills and grades to get a job in as a pe teacher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
You should be interested in something that could realistically make some money :smile:
Original post by marcus2001
I chose Maths and Economics because I'm A. Better at it than anything else and B. Going to be employable as hell. Enjoyment didn't come into my decision.

Have you started your degree yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
A mixture of both I'd say.
The first element is to have some passion for the subject. It is not only a matter of grades (even if very true). But any degree has its up and downs, and if you do not enjoy what you are doing...hard times.

Then, when someone really likes a degree with low job prospects, I think s/he should really consider how good s/he is in the subject. Statistics on graduate placement are not a law, and if you are incredibly good in what you do, you will be able to make a career out of it (arts related degree are a very good example of this).
Original post by Origami Bullets
Have you started your degree yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my 2nd year
It depends on what type of person you are.

I really like the subjects I've chosen to study, but employability was a massive part of my decision and made me say no to a lot of potential degrees. I'd probably really enjoy studying something wishy-washy like Film Studies, but I'm a very cautious person and I know that even if I enjoyed studying it, I'd be plagued with anxiety about what my life after uni would be like. Besides, I think it's nice to study a subject that's more of a challenge, because you feel more fulfilled afterwards.
In my 2nd year

Knowing what you know now, would you - honestly - make the same decisions again? And has it been better, worse or about the same as you expected?
Reply 36
I chose my subject because I am really interested in it, but to be completely honest I would probably have gone for something else or at least a joint degree if it were something I'd be unlikely to get a job off the back of. The sad truth is that jobs are hard to find and it's usually better to do a crappy job that requires specific training and thus decent pay than a crappy job with crappy pay.

I do think that motivation is important, so if you love literature you will be motivated to study or if you really want to be an accountant you will be motivated to study - sometimes it's a toss up between means and end. Remember there are plenty jobs that aren't related to a specific degree so making yourself employable in other ways can often be just as helpful - I previously worked for a financial organisation that had employees with all kinds of backgrounds and plenty opportunities for progression provided you could demonstrate the kind of skills that almost all degrees develop. On the flip side, studying something vocational won't necessarily result in a job, so it's worth checking how hard it is to get employed in certain fields before committing to something you aren't dedicated to.

If your aim is purely general employment, I wouldn't even bother with uni if you don't particularly want to study. There are a lot of other ways to spend 3/4 years that can be just as productive.
Original post by Origami Bullets
Knowing what you know now, would you - honestly - make the same decisions again? And has it been better, worse or about the same as you expected?

Not sure, probably, I can totally relate to being unmotivated to study when you're not particularly passionate about the subject, but for me, that's kinda counteracted by it being a subject i'm particularly good at. So when I cram at the end of the year so I don't fail, I automatically end up doing pretty well.

If my choice was to differ, it wouldn't be because of a change in priorities beteen enjoyment and job prospects, but rather a realisation that a degree in Maths & Economics from the LSE doesn't make me nearly as employable as I once thought..
I honestly think talent cannot flourish unless coupled with passion for what you do. So by doing what you really like, you might end up being good enough to find a good job, whatever the statistics say (I'm probably optimistic, but I do think talent and merit pay back).

Not sure, probably, I can totally relate to being unmotivated to study when you're not particularly passionate about the subject, but for me, that's kinda counteracted by it being a subject i'm particularly good at. So when I cram at the end of the year so I don't fail, I automatically end up doing pretty well.

If my choice was to differ, it wouldn't be because of a change in priorities beteen enjoyment and job prospects, but rather a realisation that a degree in Maths & Economics from the LSE doesn't make me nearly as employable as I once thought..

Very true. Also, economies change, trends change... So when you decide, you always have a partial picture.
Reply 39
I am studying law at university having never done it before. I want to be a Solicitor so I suppose you could say that's while I am doing it, but so far I really enjoy doing it. So I suppose I wasn't sure if I was passionate about it or would really enjoy it until I did it, but i'm glad I did. So I would say its good to have a mixture of both, but doesn't mean will not come to love something!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending