The Student Room Group

is an english uni course worth it?

hey, so i’m in s5 right now and english has always been my favourite subject. i think i’d enjoy studying it at uni, but will it be worth it? it could only really progress onto jobs like a teacher or journalism. would it be better to study something that will lead to a higher paying job?
i guess i just want some second opinions on this.
Original post by Caitlincxx
hey, so i’m in s5 right now and english has always been my favourite subject. i think i’d enjoy studying it at uni, but will it be worth it? it could only really progress onto jobs like a teacher or journalism. would it be better to study something that will lead to a higher paying job?
i guess i just want some second opinions on this.

If you are keen on English, i would stick with it but combine it with another subject. E.g. English and Classics or English and History etc.
Reply 2
Original post by Wired_1800

If you are keen on English, i would stick with it but combine it with another subject. E.g. English and Classics or English and History etc.

I’ll look into that, thanks!
Reply 3
Of course it is worth it. Don't forget to add cyber security to your list of possible jobs. Most jobs don't require a degree of any type but employers like graduates because they are a convenient way of filtering job applications at the first pass. However, when you are applying for uni, make sure you check out and see if they offer lots of soft-skill type courses like critical thinking etc.

MMU for example offers all these!
https://rise.mmu.ac.uk/
(edited 5 months ago)
Excellent advice from two of The Student Room's most knowledgeable and highly respected users.

It's worth just adding that your job prospects will be enhanced by gaining the highest class of degree that you can - something that will be much easier if you are studying a subject in which you are genuinely interested rather than one you have chosen because you think it will lead to a higher paying job. Your career prospects depend on much more than your degree subject or the so-called - and often imaginary - prestige value of the university you attend.

You might find this useful:
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/english
Reply 5
Original post by Supermature
Excellent advice from two of The Student Room's most knowledgeable and highly respected users.

It's worth just adding that your job prospects will be enhanced by gaining the highest class of degree that you can - something that will be much easier if you are studying a subject in which you are genuinely interested rather than one you have chosen because you think it will lead to a higher paying job. Your career prospects depend on much more than your degree subject or the so-called - and often imaginary - prestige value of the university you attend.

You might find this useful:
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/english

That website is really useful. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending