The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

PGCE 2014 Applicants QUB (Queen's University Belfast)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Anyone else got their primary placement sorted yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
One thing I am confused about: do we organise primary school placement and do before summer (or, "can" we do it before summer)? Or are we just organising it for start of September?

Also, regarding School Experience Preferences are you all just choosing any schools within reasonable distance or properly checking out schools and their reputation and choosing carefully? It's hard to know which ones to choose as I guess we should at least choose some further out.
I would think the primary has to be done in September on the dates specified. I'd expect the Summer term experience would be a bit different to when they start all fresh faced in September and even from the teacher's perspective, I imagine they would probably prefer the placement in September. However, no harm in checking.

Yes, I looked at both distance and reputation, but tried to get a mix between High schools, Integrated and Grammars. I think it is only to give them an idea of location you'd prefer, but chances are they may have to place you somewhere else entirely.
The primary school placement is to be done in September starting on Tuesday the 8th for 2 weeks. The Monday of that week is registration at Queens.
Okay, thanks for the info guys! Does anyone know many people who've done a PGCE at QUB already to see how far they must travel for the schools? The 30 miles comment scared me, haha, as that could be a lengthy commute depending on public transport available (I don't have a car).
Hope they take not having a car into account for you, as I'm sure some schools could be difficult to reach without one. Will you be living in Belfast?

I know someone who travelled 27 miles each way during PGCE to school placement, but she ended up getting a job in that school and moving. I also know some who only had 6 miles to travel, so guess it is a bit hit and miss.

I'm hoping to not be in Belfast area for the placement, as traffic is a nightmare and if I could be closer to home for school placement, it would make life a lot easier as I've three kids, but I'm also so glad ( and still shocked) to have got onto the course, so I'll go wherever it is.
Victoria, I'm sure they do take not having a car into consideration as some people might need to get two buses (taking almost an hour) whereas a car journey could be only 20 minutes to that same school. It would be good if they could pair up people; e.g. one person who drives with another in same placement who doesn't drive.

Yes, I'd be living (with my parents) in Belfast. I was also surprised getting onto the course! For me, a placement in somewhere like Lisburn would be perfect as I'm right beside a train station and probably easier than a lot of Belfast placements. But, I guess it can be a bit of luck - 6 miles or 27!

Actually, I have been also offered a place in England with a pretty big bursary, so I have the doubt whether to live with my parents and do it in Belfast, or go for England with the bigger bursary (which is why I'm interested in possible commute times :wink:)
I'd like Lisburn too :wink: The traffic is at a standstill after that although I may get park and ride from there.

Yes, I heard you get more financial support in England, but then you'd have accomodation to pay for, so maybe living with parents would be better ( and you are more likely to get your dinner made and washing done for you :biggrin: ).
Yes you're right about dinner and washing, haha, but the actual bursary I could get in England is high enough to comfortably cover tuition fees, accommodation and transport. If it were not for that I'd just stick to Queen's.
Has anyone investigated regarding the bursary available? I saw online somewhere that it is means tested? Is that correct?

I'm just curious exactly how much it is. I think it basically covers most of the PGCE, except for maybe £100-200, but has anyone got any solid facts about this?

Also, does anyone know if there is any additional help apart from the "Queen's Bursary" for PGCE students (not counting loans)?

Thanks!
Think I lost first reply! Yes, it is means tested as far as I can gather for household incomes under £19205 and payable in February. I thought it was £380 and didn't cover fees as I applied for loan to cover those.

Student Finance NI gives information on grants/ help available on top of loans. I just answered all the online questions and they tell you what you are entitled to. I assumed they pass that onto university if you are eligible for the bursary.
Thanks for info.

Looking online I think the Queen's bursary of £380 is the difference between the Student Finance NI bursary (£3,500 or something like that) and the actual PGCE cost. So, I think the Queen's bursary bridges the gap between bursary and actual PGCE cost. I think that's the case anyway!
Ah, yes, okay, with you now. Think Student finance called it a maintenance grant/loan and there is an online calculator to check what you are entitled to.
For some reason my Studentfinanceni login won't let me update my profile or apply online, so I can't check that. So, if you put in under £19,000 what does it say you're entitled to? £3,500 approx?

Btw, Victoria there's a big difference between loan and grant so it would be worth checking out for sure :wink:
Yes, sorry, meant there is a loan and grant available. Yes, maximum grant is approx £3500 and then partial amount of that if household income is more than £19205. You can get both grant and loan then on top.
Hello! Is anybody else who's not from the Belfast area planning to move there or are you all planning to just travel from home? I'm really keen to move to the city but haven't found a place to stay yet, just wondered if anyone else is on the same boat?
I think it all depends what schools you've chosen for placements. Have you chosen schools in Belfast? I know I'll just be travelling as we'll spend more time in our schools than at Queen's itself.
I'm travelling too and hope the school placements aren't too far from home. What time are you registering next Monday?
Same for me, hopin for local scools and travelling for the weeks we are in queens. I think im registering at 11.45, put it in my diary yesterday, whenever the mc's are!
I'm in slot just before that :smile: What subject are you? (sorry if you've said, but phone is slow to scroll back!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending