The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

How likely am i to be offered a place?

So i left school 3 years ago and got BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care. I have been in employment from then and have decided i want to be a teacher. I applied to St Marys in Belfast, got offered an interview and was later told via email that i passed the interview and that the next stage was on results day when i notify them, however they are aware of my results, surely i wouldn't pass the interview stage to then not be offered a place in August? It's all a bit nerve wreaking!!
Original post by Anonymous
So i left school 3 years ago and got BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care. I have been in employment from then and have decided i want to be a teacher. I applied to St Marys in Belfast, got offered an interview and was later told via email that i passed the interview and that the next stage was on results day when i notify them, however they are aware of my results, surely i wouldn't pass the interview stage to then not be offered a place in August? It's all a bit nerve wreaking!!

When you say "the next stage was on results day when i notify them", what is it you'll be notifying them of? You have your BTEC, and you're presumably not taking any additional exams. So what are they expecting you to "notify them" of in August?
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
When you say "the next stage was on results day when i notify them", what is it you'll be notifying them of? You have your BTEC, and you're presumably not taking any additional exams. So what are they expecting you to "notify them" of in August?

Nothing, they are aware that i am not in education i assume it was an generic email they send to everyone who passes the interview
Original post by Anonymous
Nothing, they are aware that i am not in education i assume it was an generic email they send to everyone who passes the interview

OK. I assume you applied via UCAS. Is that right? What does UCAS say the status of you application to Queen's is? Does it say you have an offer? If so, does it describe it as a Conditional Offer (where the offer in conditional on achieving a particular set of grades, or proving your English language competence, or whatever), or does it describe it as an Unconditional Offer (meaning they're offering you a place without any conditions being attached).

If it doesn't say you have an offer, the you don't - not yet at least. Universities have until 16 May to decide to whom they wish to make offers. You won't need to wait until August to find that out.
Original post by DataVenia
OK. I assume you applied via UCAS. Is that right? What does UCAS say the status of you application to Queen's is? Does it say you have an offer? If so, does it describe it as a Conditional Offer (where the offer in conditional on achieving a particular set of grades, or proving your English language competence, or whatever), or does it describe it as an Unconditional Offer (meaning they're offering you a place without any conditions being attached).

If it doesn't say you have an offer, the you don't - not yet at least. Universities have until 16 May to decide to whom they wish to make offers. You won't need to wait until August to find that out.

Its not via UCAS as it's through the college itself. Suppose i just better wait and find out. Thanks anyway
Original post by cheesestrings89
Its not via UCAS as it's through the college itself. Suppose i just better wait and find out. Thanks anyway

OK. It was my understanding (which Queen's confirm on this web page) that you could only apply directly to the university - i.e. not via UCAS - if you were applying for a part-time course, or were an international student.

Given that you have a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma, my guess is that you're not an international student. So you're presumably applying for a part-time course.

I don't know anything about the direct application process, I'm afraid. I suspect each uni makes up it's own rules about deadlines, when they make offers, what type of offers they make, etc. So, as you say, you'll likely just have to wait and see.

Edited to add that the last page of this PDF describes how to check the status of your direct application via Queen's Portal, which has the same concept of Conditional Offers and Unconditional Offers. So until something appears there, you don't have an offer of a place.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending