The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

PGCE 2014 Applicants QUB (Queen's University Belfast)

Scroll to see replies

Not sure about traveling niamh, i have the car but the train would probably be better if were in at 9 in queens every day. Going to waringstown primary :smile: a bit nervous if im honest!
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Reply 421
Hey everyone,

I know it's only been two days but how's the primary placement going? 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Niamh88
Hey everyone,

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been a lot more active in the classroom than I imagined. I thought, at least for the first few days I'd just be sitting there taking notes and observing, but have been helping kids with maths, reading etc. How about you?
Reply 423
Deleted
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Niamh88
Hey everyone,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I've been pretty active too and am helping with reading groups and maths. The teacher I am with is lovely and he said I could even try teaching a lesson next week if I want to. I'm really enjoying it so far!

Just had a quick question- what time do you usually leave every day? I always ask the teacher I'm with if he wants me to stay and help out after 3 o'clock but he likes his own space to do planning so tells me to run on. Just feel a bit guilty leaving so early haha. Does anyone stay until 5?
Reply 425
Original post by elmaldito
I've been a lot more active in the classroom than I imagined. I thought, at least for the first few days I'd just be sitting there taking notes and observing, but have been helping kids with maths, reading etc. How about you?

I was working as a classroom assistant last year in a primary school so am really confident in helping the pupils so I've been putting myself forward to help a lot. I've gotten to work mainly with the sen pupils which has been great. But kind of getting the vibe that the school doesn't have many classroom assistants and are possible viewing me as free work so a lot more photocopying and laminating than I would like. Don't get me wrong I'm happy to help but I really want to get the most out of this and it's not going to happen standing at a photocopier. Not sure what to do though because I want to stay in the teachers good graces! 😟 that's brill that your school has embraced you being there to get involved 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 426
Original post by KezzaN
Yeah I've been pretty active too and am helping with reading groups and maths. The teacher I am with is lovely and he said I could even try teaching a lesson next week if I want to. I'm really enjoying it so far!

Just had a quick question- what time do you usually leave every day? I always ask the teacher I'm with if he wants me to stay and help out after 3 o'clock but he likes his own space to do planning so tells me to run on. Just feel a bit guilty leaving so early haha. Does anyone stay until 5?

No I'm leaving when the kids do, like you said the teachers want their space! I ask if there's anything they want me to do or have a quick chat about the day but then I go when they tell me. I think on placement we have to put in full days but it's up to the primary school at the min I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, its been great, im loving it! Been taking reading groups, helping with all lessons and taking classes for 10 mins or so when a teacher has to leave. The teacher im in with is lovely. Ive been doing some marking etc too, so dont hang about for too long after school ends. The prinicpal is lovely, though embarrassed me today by introducing me at assembly. Im taking a literacy and numeracy lesson every day next week, so have the literacy stufd planned.
Reply 428
Can't believe we are nearly at the end of our primary placement already! Hope everyone's has went well! Mine improved dramatically and has been a great experience! Definite confidence booster!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Niamh88
Can't believe we are nearly at the end of our primary placement already! Hope everyone's has went well! Mine improved dramatically and has been a great experience! Definite confidence booster!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah these two weeks have flown by. That's great to hear yours has improved Niamh. I have been teaching a few lessons this week which was nerve-wrecking (I think nerves are my biggest problem!) but I think I'll get better with practice. The kids at my school are so lovely, I'm going to miss them!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending