The Student Room Group

Gatso camera flashed on opposite side of road

Hello,

Last night I was travelling on 40mph road which went down to 30mph despite the fact it was the same stretch of road! The road is a dual carriageway. I have two questions:

1)I didn't realise this and when I passed a speed camera (The GATSO ones) at about 35-36 it didn't flash, by the time I passed the lines on the floor I was worried they had got me. Have they?

2) Secondly, as I was travelling back on the same stretch of road (now facing the GATSO camera on the opposite side of the road), it flashed at me! What on earth! There was no camera behind me so I hadn't mistaken that flash for the camera on the opposite side of the road.

Have I been done twice? How can it be that the bloody thing flashed the second time but not the first?!
Reply 1
If it didn't flash you didn't get caught. You've been caught the second time though.

Just because there are lines on a road near a camera doesn't mean the camera is monitoring that side of the road.
Reply 2
Original post by FXX
If it didn't flash you didn't get caught. You've been caught the second time though.

Just because there are lines on a road near a camera doesn't mean the camera is monitoring that side of the road.

Thanks, so the camera can pan all the way to the left lane of the opposing side?
Reply 3
Original post by madl24903
Thanks, so the camera can pan all the way to the left lane of the opposing side?

No, they put the lines there to make people think the camera is watching them, when it isn't :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by FXX
No, they put the lines there to make people think the camera is watching them, when it isn't :wink:

Ahh, I thought so. Buggers.
Original post by FXX

Isn't the white lines to monitor the spacing between photos every second? Probably helps with ambiguity in terms of providing evidence.

Although they will flash you for opposite side of the road too.
Reply 6
Original post by TheGrinningSkull
Isn't the white lines to monitor the spacing between photos every second? Probably helps with ambiguity in terms of providing evidence.

Although they will flash you for opposite side of the road too.

Like I said, just because there are lines, doesn't mean the camera is watching them. Shall I find a fourth way of saying the same thing?
Reply 7
A GATSO can't catch you on the opposite side of the road.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by FXX
Like I said, just because there are lines, doesn't mean the camera is watching them. Shall I find a fourth way of saying the same thing?

When you say "when it isn't", you make it seem like the camera isn't monitoring that space in the road o.O

Do you mean watching everywhere? In that case it is also watching the lines.

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/gatso.htm

Like I said, you need a second method of measurement as there could be dispute.

Original post by madl24903

Also OP, read the second segment of the above link:
Can Gatsos catch you speeding on the opposite side of the road?

The Gatso meter speed camera is a rear facing camera and as such can only succesfully obtain a vehicles speed when driving past the Gatso. In other words if a Gatso speed camera is on the opposite side of the road and is pointing towards you it cannot record or catch you speeding. However be sure you're driving towards a Gatso and not the forward facing Truvelo camera as these are designed to work as a motorist drives towards them! It's also worth noting that Gatso's which are installation on a central reservation of traffic island can be turned periodically to target motorists traveling in either direction.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
When you say "when it isn't", you make it seem like the camera isn't monitoring that space in the road o.O

http://goo.gl/maps/VszjH

Can you see a camera monitoring the lines on the right hand side of the road?
Original post by FXX
http://goo.gl/maps/VszjH

Can you see a camera monitoring the lines on the right hand side of the road?

Except the difference in OP's scenario, the information given says that there is a gatso camera, so whether you were just mentioning trivial knowledge not pertaining to the op's scenario or just misunderstood the op I don't know.

I'm not going against what it is you said, but it doesn't seem to have relevance here in this case :tongue: (Giving op false hope)
Reply 11
If you're speeding heading away from the gatso you'll get caught, but if you speed going towards it you won't
Reply 12
Except the difference in OP's scenario, the information given says that there is a gatso camera, so whether you were just mentioning trivial knowledge not pertaining to the op's scenario or just misunderstood the op I don't know.

I'm not going against what it is you said, but it doesn't seem to have relevance here in this case :tongue: (Giving op false hope)

Alright, this is the last time I'm going to reply as I am bored of this conversation now.

In that photo you can see there IS a Gatso camera, but that it is not monitoring one side of the road that DOES have lines on it. Therefore, just because there are lines, doesn't mean the camera is necessarily watching them.
Original post by FXX
Alright, this is the last time I'm going to reply as I am bored of this conversation now.

In that photo you can see there IS a Gatso camera, but that it is not monitoring one side of the road that DOES have lines on it. Therefore, just because there are lines, doesn't mean the camera is necessarily watching them.

I understand what you're saying.

I think this was in reply to OP's 1st point, while I was talking about OP's 2nd point :tongue:, which he might be able to contest.
You're fine, I always set off the same camera off on my way to work nearly everyday, funny to see people react and wind down there window and say ha ha you got a fine, no bitch... I didn't, learn the law! :wink:
Reply 15
There's one in Brighton (on A23) that seems to always go off if you travel towards it. As the footage shows though, by the time of the second flash you're actually out of the camera's view and lines:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending