The Student Room Group

Endorsing gender segregation

Can someone please explain to me why it looks like voluntary gender segregation is going to become intolerable and bannd in UK universities.

I am all for banning forced or even suggested segregation. i.e. no signs or nobody hinting or suggesting that people should segregate based on their gender.

What I fail to understand is how people can be forced to sit with those of the opposite gender. I have been to Islamic events where people have just naturally segregated in an organic way, and people have been free to sit with the opposite gender if they wished, though, no doubt that would look strange.

Many times the females want to sit with other females where this is engrained in their culture or religion and this is how they are genuinely happy.

Now, what I am asking is, will these people be expected to move and sit with those of the opposite gender just for the sake of this stupid regulation they are looking to bring in?

The EHRC will be doing to others what they are saying is being done to others.

I don't watch football so I may be wrong but it looks like people have 'apartheid' according to the team they support. There are many famous single sex schools. There are single sex gyms, and classes.

As I have said, I am all for banning forced segregation as that is extreme but banning voluntary segregation where people choose to segregate? How does this even make sense? In my eyes this is, in a way, discrimination against certain cultures and religions, undermining some of their values.
Reply 1
Because rationality and very objectively speaking "it's backwards", and "this isn't the 10th century" etc.
Original post by Al-Mudaari
Because rationality and very objectively speaking "it's backwards", and "this isn't the 10th century" etc.

I see the whole thing about it being backwards, and I agree it won't become a big orgy should males and females sit next to each other.

BUT, if females want to sit with females and males want to sit wiith males i don't see the problem. Even at university in lectures there are clumps of segregation whether evn thugh it isn't on a big scale and not apparent.

I also agree that speakers should not be able to demand gender segregation. I don't have a problem but what really struck me was prohibiting VOLUNTARY, segregation - it is nonsensical to me. And seeing arguements about females wanting to speak to a male or go to the pother side of the room to discuss something with the speaker, etc is daft because no one is saying this is necessarily going to be the case.

The females attending the events should decide where they want to sit, and it is nobody's place to tell them they are being oppressed or being treated inferiorly unless, of cours, those females feel the same. No one desved to feel inferior, or not equal to the opposite gender.

In that case single-sex schools should either be closed or become mixed schools - they are also backwards and 10th century
all segregation based on gender (if not for an overwhelmingly good reason) is atrocious and unjust.
in my opinion, government schools should desegregate the all-girls or all-boys schools
at least this recent muslim segregation wasn't physically forced onto people like a government policy
Original post by TheLoveDoctor
all segregation based on gender (if not for an overwhelmingly good reason) is atrocious and unjust.
in my opinion, government schools should desegregate the all-girls or all-boys schools
at least this recent muslim segregation wasn't physically forced onto people like a government policy

I don't see how it can be called atrocious and unjust if it is voluntary. The emphasis being on the word 'voluntary' here.:confused:

I can see how Muslims are at a loss here because Non-Muslims cannot be expected to see this through the eyes of females. Much of the times it is the females who actually want to sit separately.

People can throw around terms like 'apartheid', 'unjust', 'atrocious', and 'backwards' but they don't seem to be able to justify it logically with regards to voluntary segregation.

I agree forced segregation is all of the above
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MercifulServant

Many times the females want to sit with other females where this is engrained in their culture or religion and this is how they are genuinely happy.

And this is the problem. They don't want to encourage that
Yeh, I really don't see a problem with voluntary segregation. If you don't want to attend a segregated event, then don't go, it's simple. I think it's a difficult dilemna from a liberal viewpoint - do you allow people to segregate, or do you enforce mixing? Either way, you appear to restrict somebody's freedoms. Personally, I see that voluntary segregation doesn't restrict freedoms much at all - there is always the option to simply not turn up, or make your own event/society, whereas if you forcefully prevent any segregation, there is nowhere where people can be segregated if they so wish.
Banning gender segregation doesn't mean you are forced to sit next to people of the opposite sex, it means an event can't enforce or promote gender segregation. It means you can sit where you like. The next time you are in a lecture look around. Some people will be sitting next to members of the same sex, some will be sitting next to members of the opposite sex, sometimes groups of guys or girls may even be sitting together in little same-sex groups. That is what banned gender segregation looks like. A room of people sitting where they like.
Original post by MercifulServant
I don't see how it can be called atrocious and unjust if it is voluntary. The emphasis being on the word 'voluntary' here.:confused:

I can see how Muslims are at a loss here because Non-Muslims cannot be expected to see this through the eyes of females. Much of the times it is the females who actually want to sit separately.

People can throw around terms like 'apartheid', 'unjust', 'atrocious', and 'backwards' but they don't seem to be able to justify it logically with regards to voluntary segregation.

I agree forced segregation is all of the above

I said it was atrocious but I didn't say it should be banned - the fact that it was voluntary and non-coerced was my reasoning for that. surely even if it's voluntary it can still be negative? I'm saying that based on an opinion of gender segregation as a concept

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending