The Student Room Group

Edexcel C4 June 2014- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by NicCx
I had that differential equation!

There's another answer floating round that people seem to agree on, 4 people at my school got the same answer as us so we can be pretty confident, let's hope that the other answer is equivalent :smile:
Original post by Cameronfal
why are people getting Pi SQUARED for the volume of rev? I don't get it? the formula is PI times the integral of Y^2 Dx/Dt?

Its pi^2 because the value for feta had to be used as the bounds, which involved pi so when multiplied by the pi for rotation you get a pi^2 value
Original post by Jimbob995
I left the coordinates for D and C in column vector form ������������������ will I get any marks?

yes you will! chill :biggrin:
Original post by MRad
Not trying to be a dick and show off, genuinely trying to help, I'm pretty sure that I'm right:

Big dirty Volume of rev question - 92pi/9 + 6pi^2

Last question - 9Root2

Differential equation - 2/3 Sin^3y = e^x - 11/12

Normally I just wait for other people to post them but haven't seen them together yet. I think that the paper was tough but fair, I was in C3 last year so I know what it's like to be in a REALLY tough exam; this was harder than any C4 past paper I've done but wasn't difficult to the same extent as last year's C3. Overall, I think the grade boundaries will drop 3 or 4 marks? maybe a few more. Hope this helps.

Same!
I reckon it'll be around 55-60 for a A*.. Yes you can say the the c3 paper last year was terrible, but thats because it was unexpected.. Whilst this exam compared to every other c4 paper, and even some of the solomon papers ive done was much harder than normal.

And seeing as the c4 grade boundaries are normally lower then c3 grade boundares i reckon they'll be much lower then usual..

+ There would of been students who would have ran out of time.. or would have not even attempted the 9 or 7 markers.. or maybe werent very good at parametric equations and would have dropped 10+ marks. regardless of any simple mistakes...

Loads of my friends who have med or russel group offers lined up said how they ran out of time, or missed 20 marks etc..
Does anyone here must get an A* to get into their uni? How did you find this paper? I think this was hardest C4 paper till date, those big 9 and 7 markers blew my mind, and the last ABCD area thing was equally difficult. Other than that, I think it was pretty okay, doable. I think I got about 52.

Grade boundaries predictions A*: 62 A: 54

Tell me if you think this is high, low, or alright?
(edited 9 years ago)
Very hard paper in my opinion, why couldn't they just keep that parametric rotation a simple curve, the line l completely threw me off, and where the hell does a cone come into it?
The volume I ended up with 6pi^2 + 92/9pi
What do we think 65 will be?
Original post by Dilzo999
On a serious note, there actually weren't any partial fraction questions seems pretty odd :s-smilie:.

Agreed. I would have been happy if they had cut out that horrid volume of revolution question and stuck in some good ol' partial fractions.

The volume question was really the only place I dropped some marks. Shame it was such a heavily weighted question. :rolleyes:
Original post by Jimbob995
I left the coordinates for D and C in column vector form 😭😭😭 will I get any marks?

I did. Can't see why not?
Original post by Isaac who?
Finished with at least half an hour spare, don't know what all the idiots at my school were complaining about, some slightly challenging maths at the end and they all throw a tantrum. What did you expect ? I could've mistaken the first 5 questions for a GCSE exam.

Implicit differentiation, on a GCSE paper? Yeah okay. Good logic
When does Arsey post his solutions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by walkers38
Does anyone here must get an A* to get into their uni? How did you find this paper? I think this was hardest C4 paper till date, those big 9 and 7 markers blew my mind, and the last ABCD area thing was equally difficult. Other than that, I think it was pretty okay, doable. I think I got about 52.

Grade boundaries predictions A*: 62 A: 54

Tell me if you think this is high, low, or alright?

i can only hope those are the grade boundaries
i need 83 ums for an A and lost like 11 marks

do you think that's still an A?
first half was kinda easy for a c4 paper but after that it excalated quite quickly
you had to do the whole volume minus the volume of the cone formed between x=3 and your Q coord (5/3) I got
Although im actually kicking my self about the volume of revolution question.. completely ignored the volume of the cone.. So i found the volume of the line segment, and done the volume of the curve - volume of line segment, which gave me an answer but one that was probably wrong and definetly not in the form they wanted..
For 7)b) I worked out the area of the curve correctly, I just forgot to take away the cone :/ how many marks dyou think I would've lost?
What happens if you turned the last part of question seven into Cartesian form????
I got something completely different

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Isaac who?
Finished with at least half an hour spare, don't know what all the idiots at my school were complaining about, some slightly challenging maths at the end and they all throw a tantrum. What did you expect ? I could've mistaken the first 5 questions for a GCSE exam.

Shut up you ****

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending